Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI think the teen genre resonates with it's immediate audience more
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=703580&mesg_id=703871
703871, I think the teen genre resonates with it's immediate audience more
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 12:48 AM
Almost by definition.

If you're the target audience, i.e, teens + whichever subset(s) in the time one of these gets released, chances are high that you'll identify more strongly with those particular films.

While other movies are also byproducts of their era, teen comedies are by definition aimed squarely at the youth of that generation and while the themes tend to remain the same decade after decade, the backdrops do not.

So while my race card crack at OE fell flat, (honest to god it was a joke), I still think he's a little too bullish on HP's greatness relative to the rest. I do think he most likely identifies with it on a more personal level than some of the others, which is completely fine if that's the case, and that at least accounts for the disparity in what I view as a field of parity.

The problem there is that I am assuming this plays a role in great part because I haven't heard an actual argument from him, only assertions. Frankly I'm cool with anyone touting one above the rest, I'd just like to see some thought put into the reasoning behind these picks because that makes for actual conversation as opposed to mere snarky banter.