Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWho is "People"? I married a very quirky black woman, so NOPE.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=703580&mesg_id=703815
703815, Who is "People"? I married a very quirky black woman, so NOPE.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Oct-23-15 01:19 AM
I KNOW quirky black folks. Don't play that card with me. I know, I know, being married in/raised with/having black family does not make one an expert on all things black, yada yada yada, but it's precisely that sort of nuance that makes my point for me.

>House Party was a smarter, quirkier movie than
>Dazed & Confused

Of course it's quirkier. Dazed is much more earnest by comparison. That observation falls squarely under "no shit" and doesn't hold water as an argument for "better" unless you're making the argument that the more quirky something is, the better it is, but that argument dissolves after minimal reasoning. "quirk" is definitely not a factor in comparing to very different movies that served as very different snapshots of two very different times and cultures.

>Smarter

Smarter....in what way? Make that argument and I'll be happy to listen. Not, like, in that Basaglia way wherein you believe your mere declaration is all the proof that is needed, but actually, you know, support this opinion with objective and nuanced perspective.

>It just doesn't get that reputation because it has
>cool black people dancing in it

Among the average Skyler, Tyler, and Taylor gang? Sure. Peyton, Chad, and Tanner probably watch it on some fetish shit in black face with Kaitlyn, Apple, and some poor product of ironic hipster fuckery named Mildred. Yes, that crowd probably sleeps but it's generally well regarded and most people I come across love it.

>But it's smarter and as thoughtful a comedy

It's smart and thoughtful, but so is Dazed. If you said that about Can't Hardly Wait, well yeah, I agree. Sixteen Candles? You bet, though part of the appeal of SC is that it's a little dumb and irreverent.

Of course my stance here is that this category has a lot of parity and I don't see anything that's really leading the rest, though I'd argue Ferris, Pretty In Pink and American Pie would probably fight it out in a majority poll on Yahoo or something.