Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject'House Party' is the greatest teen movie of all-time
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=703580
703580, 'House Party' is the greatest teen movie of all-time
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Oct-17-15 05:14 PM

By far, actually

-Was funnier than your favorite toilet and jerkoff teen movie

-Subtly dealt with serious issues: family, class, safe sex,
alcohol

-Had positive messages

This is true, sorry

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
703582, Sorry, IMO John Hughes movies then all others come next
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat Oct-17-15 06:00 PM
703584, I don't know about #1....but I can't name teen films I like more.
Posted by rorschach, Sat Oct-17-15 10:14 PM
Perhaps The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller....maybe Just One of the Guys...but that's it.

Shit, you may be right. Robin Harris alone makes House Party the most funny teen movie.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
703786, 1) Single black father and biracial son (deceased mother)
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:59 PM
2) Black poverty vs. Middle class (Sharayne and Sidney),
and how Play talked about their differences

3) Safe sex scene

4) Alcohol shaming scenes (several)

5) Fascist cops scene (how those bougie light skinned
black folks stood up for the thug niggas cuz they ain't
like how those white cops were acting

Friendship and all of that.

The movie is the shit, period

--

(C)Keith Murray, "
703590, Risky Business is the greatest teen movie of all-time
Posted by mrshow, Sun Oct-18-15 01:17 AM
House Party is better than 99% of the annual quirky teen comedies coming out of Sundance though.
703775, It's up there, I'll give it some shine
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:03 PM

n.m

(C)Keith Murray, "
703594, it's my favorite. i saw myself
Posted by astralblak, Sun Oct-18-15 01:16 PM
and my boy Wil and Adam in that screen in ways I could never with those John Hughes, Grease, etc flicks (which my sisters loved)

i think the first two are good movies, period
703600, "I have updated my archetypal dramatis personae since act one"
Posted by Walleye, Sun Oct-18-15 07:23 PM
"...Play is the Sage. Kid is the Seeker, Stab is the Villain and Martin Lawrence is the Fool."

--Jimmy Shive-Overly
703604, If there's one category that needs no hierarchy, it's teen comedies
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Oct-19-15 01:02 AM
Ferris, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty In Pink, Ten Things I Hate About You, American Pie, Superbad, and House Party are all quite different while maintaining very similar tropes. Shit I'd put Class Act and Can't Hardly Wait in my personal list right alongside those ones.

They're all basically interchangeable if you ask me, but John Hughes owns this category. The music in his movies are vital elements and that synergy elevates those movies in a big way.

If I had to pick ONE? Pretty In Pink. If You Leave is such a great and perfect song for that type of movie in general and that movie in particular and I'd say this is probably the best overall story of the bunch.

703610, RE: If there's one category that needs no hierarchy, it's teen comedies
Posted by Calico, Mon Oct-19-15 07:22 AM
I agree with the first line...

House party is awesome though, but so are most of the movies you mention too
703780, The Kid N Play combo scene = one of the 10 happiest scenes EVER
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:09 PM

Watch it on a shitty day, and feel your spirit pick up

It just makes you smile like few single scenes in history

It's the best of teen culture, black culture, kids being
kids, being quirky and cool at the same time

And they manage to make fun of alcoholics

I'm telling you -- House Party is GENIUS, well-thought out,
acted directed, scripted extremely well

(C)Keith Murray, "
703805, I don't disagree at all. Jim Levensetein fucking a pie is still hilarious
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Oct-22-15 09:46 PM
Like..... really, really hilarious. It's one of the single funniest moment in teen comedy history.

Pretty In Pink still has far more heart than anything in the running for GOAT outside of Ten Things.

As a character, there's nobody in this conversation better written, realized, and acted than Ferris Bueler. Cameron is arguably the best sidekick of the bunch.

Kid and Jim's dad are probably a dead heat.

Kid and Play have a chemistry that nobody else is fucking with for obvious reasons.

There are just too many well executed classics in this category and objectively speaking, they cancel each other out to a great degree. This category is full of parity.
703828, Robin Harris>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eugene Levy
Posted by jigga, Fri Oct-23-15 09:00 AM
>Kid and Jim's dad are probably a dead heat

I like Nice Eu Gene & he plays that character very well but Robin was on a whole nother level in House Party

703856, Nah. You guys are severely overplaying HP at this point.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Oct-23-15 06:54 PM
703862, Nah, I'm curious if American Pie resonates more w/ youngsters tho
Posted by jigga, Fri Oct-23-15 08:10 PM
At least younger than me...I'm damn near 40
703871, I think the teen genre resonates with it's immediate audience more
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 12:48 AM
Almost by definition.

If you're the target audience, i.e, teens + whichever subset(s) in the time one of these gets released, chances are high that you'll identify more strongly with those particular films.

While other movies are also byproducts of their era, teen comedies are by definition aimed squarely at the youth of that generation and while the themes tend to remain the same decade after decade, the backdrops do not.

So while my race card crack at OE fell flat, (honest to god it was a joke), I still think he's a little too bullish on HP's greatness relative to the rest. I do think he most likely identifies with it on a more personal level than some of the others, which is completely fine if that's the case, and that at least accounts for the disparity in what I view as a field of parity.

The problem there is that I am assuming this plays a role in great part because I haven't heard an actual argument from him, only assertions. Frankly I'm cool with anyone touting one above the rest, I'd just like to see some thought put into the reasoning behind these picks because that makes for actual conversation as opposed to mere snarky banter.
703878, House Party is a better film than American Pie, and by a lot.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Oct-24-15 07:48 AM

It's not really close.

(C)Keith Murray, "
703865, 'American Pie' was privilege kid, zero responsibility humor
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Oct-23-15 09:43 PM

Which is FINE. Nothing wrong with that.

BUT

'House Party' was funnier, and still managed to weave
an actual meaningful storyline, with meaningful relationships.

Plus, 'House Party' was the way most kids actually are.

Hell-

'House Party's' dirty jokes were funnier

It's butthole humor was funny

Everything about it was better

By a lot
703834, *record scratch* WHAT?!?!?!
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Oct-23-15 09:29 AM

>Kid and Jim's dad are probably a dead heat.

You on drugs?
703858, Just say you like it better because black people
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Oct-23-15 06:57 PM
I could at least respect an admission that you're over-inflating everything about the movie because you relate to it better on a cultural level, but this pretense that it's somehow head and shoulders above everything else without any objective criteria to support it is getting absurd.
703866, LMAO!!!!! So I AM BEING BIASED!?!?!?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Oct-23-15 09:45 PM

Typical 2015 Obama era racial diarrhea

Motherfucka-

How the fuck am I biased and you ain't?

Or anyone else who say 'American Pie' is better?

LMAO

Fairness and equality LOOK like pro-black bias to
people who ain't used to it

Get over it

'House Party' smarter and funnier

Cry

(C)Keith Murray, "
703869, Bias? No. I think you relate better on a personal and cultural level.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 12:36 AM
>Typical 2015 Obama era racial diarrhea

LOLOLOLOLOL. Come on man let's not get carried away here :)

>Motherfucka-
>
>How the fuck am I biased and you ain't?

Well, I don't think you're "biased" so much as you simply identify with HP on a personal level. Look, I was just completing the Race Card hand you played down below. I responded to your comment about black quirk and you responded in a perfectly civil way. I figured you'd take it as equal opportunity ball breaking, but it seems either your joke detector is broken or my delivery fell flat. Either way, it was a statement made in the spirit of gamesmanship and nothing more.

>Or anyone else who say 'American Pie' is better?

Bear in mind my stance is that the best of these are more or less created equal, with various strengths that make each one special and no towering figure in the mix.

If Rod and Tod cysed AP over HP the way you're doing the inverse, I'd take issue with that too, because while I can completely understand you finding HP more relatable while Bradford identifies more closely to AP, I think the stance that either is substantially better imagined and executed than the other to be inconsistent with the overall quality of both.

So, in a roundabout way I suppose I do actually think the fact that you view HP as so significantly better than everything else in it's field is in part rooted not just in your own blackness, but also with the fact that HP stands as one of the few high quality black films in this genre that portrays blacks in the same working/middle class light of regular folks manner we see whites portrayed in pretty much everything. i.e, you find identify more strongly with the characters and setting of one film over the other.

I also think there are arguments to be made for what sets HP apart from the rest, but all I see to this point are assertions, not arguments.

>Fairness and equality LOOK like pro-black bias to
>people who ain't used to it

Welp, again, it was a joke I made after your quip about black quirk, not some steadfast denouncement of any perceived black bias. I've somewhat explained that I do think there's a loose thread involved not in your love of the movie, but in your love of the movie to such a degree that it dwarfs all others.

>Get over it
>
>'House Party' smarter and funnier
>
>Cry

Again, I just want to see you articulate what exactly makes HP the one ring to rule them all. Being that I love all the movies I've mentioned- HP included- and see them all as well made films showcasing different facets of the same core principles, I'm hardly upset that someone likes HP better.

As far as funnier or smarter, I don't think so. The core charm of AP isn't raunch, but rather the mortifying chain of events that befalls a loveable loser with zero game. Ap is actually a very smart movie because it would lose a LOT of it's luster and staying power if it were just raunch and no embarrassment. I'm all good with your pick of HP, I'd just like to see you articulate why instead of this Basagalia grandstanding approach.
703877, LMAO. Why does cultural relativism come up NOW?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Oct-24-15 07:47 AM

Like, why are you dismissing MY opinion by relegating
it to "what I relate to culturally."

Is that not the case for every accolade given to every
film in the history of the industry? As in, aren't most
opinions about what people relate to culturally?

So why does it come up NOW?

I'm asking because I have this problem ALL THE TIME.

Whenever I put something BLACK on par with something white,
revered and sophisticated, I get that pat-on-the-back "Oh, I
know why you like that black thing, it connects to you better."

LMAO

That's true for every single subjective opinion about everything,
ever.

It don't just apply to me.

So unless I see you using that exact argument in *every* art
discussion with *everyone* else, don't use it with me.

703884, For starters, you're not putting HP on "par". You're putting it far above.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 11:12 AM
>Whenever I put something BLACK on par with something white,
>revered and sophisticated, I get that pat-on-the-back "Oh, I
>know why you like that black thing, it connects to you
>better."
>
>LMAO

Par and far above are two completely different things. I put House Party on par with other films in the genre. You put it unquestionably above everything else. There's really nothing about HP that puts it so far above anything else and you didn't articulate any actual reasoning to that point, so yes, I think cultural relatvism was a distinct possibility in the absence of any actual argument.

>That's true for every single subjective opinion about
>everything,
>ever.

I disagree completely. We're talking about the comparison of like kinds and looking at factors that put one significantly higher than the rest of it's class. A subjective opinion in a vacuum will still be based on cultural factors along with general life experience and what have you, but in the absence of an actual argument (i.e, NOT merely repeating an assertion) I don't think it's unreasonable to attribute a piece of that to a greater than typical factor of cultural sensibilities. You finally cited some things down below that I agreed with.

>It don't just apply to me.

Of course not, but don't ignore the context here. You didn't put forth any real criteria through the bulk of this conversation, so that lead me to believe that there was definitely a cultural element in play NOT in your enjoyment of the movie or even putting it on par (I've been quite clear that I think it belongs), but putting it as definitively ahead of the pack.

>So unless I see you using that exact argument in *every* art
>discussion with *everyone* else, don't use it with me.

I believe I addressed this already and stated that someone putting Ap (or any other movie in this genre) significantly ahead of AP, I'd attribute a portion of that to the fact that the person simply identifies better with the other movie on cultural grounds. If that wasn't clear before, I'm making it clear now. I don't use that on everyone, nor do I use that with any and every Black Guy who touts the superiority of something black over everything else in a category. In THIS specific situation it was a reasonable probability based on the lack of any actual criteria at the time.

Frankly, I apologize if I offended you with that. My "just say you like it because black people" quip was honest ball breaking
703889, I explained IN DETAIL, what House Party did differently.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Oct-24-15 01:52 PM

I explained it MULTIPLE TIMES in this post.

You read that and interpreted my opinion as "Black guy identifies
with black movie."

I'm not going to call you any names, or label your perspective
with any title.

I just want you to think about why you did what you did,
and why that's not cool.
703896, NOPE. Not in our exchange you didn't. Plus you brought up race first.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 04:53 PM
>
>I explained it MULTIPLE TIMES in this post.

FALSE. You made assertions, not arguments. You expressed the opinion that HP was somehow smarter but didn't provide anything of substance until i suggested that your true reasoning lied in the fact that you simply related to HP better.

>You read that and interpreted my opinion as "Black guy
>identifies
>with black movie."

Nope I already deaded that bullshit but we all know you're the chief race baiter here. Pringles, anyone?

>I'm not going to call you any names, or label your
>perspective
>with any title.

Oh we both know what you want to say, but we also no how ridiculous that is and that's why you won't come right out and say it. Especially since you're the one who introduced the cultural element into this. You showed your hand too early, player.

>I just want you to think about why you did what you did,
>and why that's not cool.

What i did was form a reasonable conclusion in a conversation with a guy who couldn't articulate his reasoning behind his definitive opinion until after I formed said conclusion.

You should think about why you couldn't provide any real reasoning for your opinion after so many exhanges with me.
703908, You fucked up. I'd just admit it and keep it moving.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Oct-25-15 12:11 PM

Half my replies are me pointing out specific things
the movie did well.

You didn't bother reading. You didn't bother checking.

I'm willing to drop it, but you keep going hard, so if you
want to get embarrassed, then I can do this.

Otherwise just sit the fuck down, because you ran and dismissed
my view to "oh you like it cuz you black."

Frank Longo is the Steve Jobs post talking about how much he
loved it.

Does HE have to worry about YOU saying he liked it cuz he
WHITE?

You never do that for white people. Ever.

You did it to me, for no reason.

You fucked up.

Period.

(C)Keith Murray, "
703913, The fact is you brought the race card into our exchange
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Oct-25-15 05:54 PM
YOU introduced that shit. This entire post is filled with you making assertions with very little to substantiate your logic, at least until I turned your race card around on you.

These are facts. Indisputable, unarguable, inerrant facts.

I'm not explaining the rest again. I'm taking back that apology though, because this isn't your first race bait rodeo without merit and you insisted on dragging this out further even AFTER I apologized if I offended you, but then that's kinda your thing.

If you want to drop it, feel free to drop it :). We both know you wouldn't be "willing to drop it" if you were really convinced you had a real case and you're kidding yourself if you think you're going to extract a concession of some kind.
703916, Oh, and as far as Frank, I already explained that to you.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Oct-25-15 06:30 PM
>Otherwise just sit the fuck down, because you ran and
>dismissed
>my view to "oh you like it cuz you black."

Nah. Sit your ass down. Fall the entire fuck back. Stop playing dumb for the sake of bolstering your persecution complex. It was much more nuanced than that and you know.

>Frank Longo is the Steve Jobs post talking about how much he
>loved it.
>
>Does HE have to worry about YOU saying he liked it cuz he
>WHITE?
>
>You never do that for white people. Ever.
>
>You did it to me, for no reason.
>
>You fucked up.
>
>Period.

NOPE NOPE NOPE. Sorry. NOPE. Ducktales.

Context, which history shows you greatly despise in these little exchanges, is key. I explained this EXACT scenario already. In detail. This EXACT SAME SCENARIO.

If we were talking, say, American History X vs, say, Higher Learning, and Frank (or whichever white guy) insisted that AMX was clearly the better movie, said it was smarter and the like, yet did not give me any real reasoning for WHY, I would THEN assume IN THE CONTEXT OF THE COMPARISON OF TWO DECIDEDLY DIFFERENT MOVIES, that cultural relativism was a factor.

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED IN HERE.

YOU, conversely, in the name of your apparent desire to be a victim of racial insensitivity, have deluded yourself into this version of events:

You: House Party is a better movie than everything else in it's field.
Me: You only think that because you're black.

The End.

Nah. Sit your ass down and have a time out for that shit.

703605, Nope. Fast Times
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Oct-19-15 04:40 AM
703840, I've heard Fast Times is THAT flick
Posted by 13Rose, Fri Oct-23-15 10:20 AM
I still gotta watch it. I would always go outside whenever it was on TV back in the days.
703890, Top 5. Lots of substance. Too many gimmicky titty scenes.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Oct-24-15 01:55 PM

But the kids in that movie do act like actual teenagers,
like House Party.

House Party and Fast Times are worlds better than American
pie

(C)Keith Murray, "
703614, solid effort, but john hughes, man. it's john hughes. he GOAT.
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Oct-19-15 07:53 AM
703774, Hughes LOTS of excellent flicks. But NO ONE > House Party.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:02 PM

So yeah

(C)Keith Murray, "
703790, i'm sure you've seen/heard me cyse weird science b4
Posted by Basaglia, Thu Oct-22-15 02:39 PM

yeah, man...can't ride witchu here.
703793, You ain't never gonna get me to shit on 'Weird Science'
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 03:34 PM

That would make me a professional Uncle Tom, I'm all
the way with that B

But House Party smarter, more socially responsible,
more well-rounded humor

Love is love, tho
703808, good choice
Posted by astralblak, Thu Oct-22-15 10:54 PM
703868, On second thought, nah, Weird Science can't pick Kid's Fade
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Oct-23-15 09:48 PM
Sorry, nah

(C)Keith Murray, "
703627, I'm inclined to agree but Weird Science won't let me
Posted by jigga, Mon Oct-19-15 11:08 AM
703643, Rewatched that for the first time in ages a while back
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Oct-19-15 04:13 PM
Forgot how completely insane every single aspect of that movie was. So much damn fun.
703729, me and my boys been partying off paxton over 30 years.
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Oct-21-15 07:04 AM
703776, Aye realized it's been like 15 since I seent it, lemme reach back
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:04 PM

I fucked with it hard back in the day,
lemme reach back and give that one a look

(C)Keith Murray, "
703791, Two questions
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Oct-22-15 02:53 PM
1) I haven't see Weird Science in years, but didn't it have a weird scene with the main actors speaking 'jive' with jazz playing black musicians?

2) Wrong forum, but does that magazine cover mean KAT is the next Studio Thug Cometh?
703795, RE: Two questions
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Oct-22-15 04:29 PM
>1) I haven't see Weird Science in years, but didn't it have a
>weird scene with the main actors speaking 'jive' with jazz
>playing black musicians?

Yep. Here's the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsmDh2r-JdM
703831, 1 question...Did you think that scene was in poor taste?
Posted by jigga, Fri Oct-23-15 09:08 AM
>1) I haven't see Weird Science in years, but didn't it have a
>weird scene with the main actors speaking 'jive' with jazz
>playing black musicians?

I didn't have a problem w/ it back then & still don't now. One of my favorites in the flick.
703837, I'd have to watch the flick again
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Oct-23-15 10:01 AM
to give you an honest answer. I only remember that scene because I think it was mentioned in one of those I Love The 80's shows on VH1 years back.
703641, I probably agree with this.
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Oct-19-15 03:22 PM
Yeah, John Hughes and all of that, but I probably enjoy watching "House Party" more than any of his films. Probably one of my favorite films of any type of the early '90s.
703644, Not even the best hip hop teen movie ever
Posted by Marauder21, Mon Oct-19-15 04:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ00laVt62c
703781, That scene used to have me in tears
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:10 PM
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ00laVt62c

(C)Keith Murray, "
703809, what in the fuck, lol
Posted by astralblak, Thu Oct-22-15 10:58 PM
706423, YOOOOOOO
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Mon Dec-28-15 02:24 AM
703648, fast times at ridgemont high + dazed and confused
Posted by dula dibiasi, Mon Oct-19-15 07:18 PM
my personal favorites, and imo the best. i enjoy both more than any hughes flick, and i rewatched almost all of john hughes's movies maybe 2 months ago.

house party is up there tho. dope flick.

i'm in ferris bueller btw. i was an extra in the parade scene.
703778, O word?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:06 PM

>i'm in ferris bueller btw. i was an extra in the parade
>scene.

If this is true, that might be the most authentic cherry
on top for an authentic Chicago nigga resume I've ever
heard

Beats my boy who's moms got into with Oprah on an elevator,
and dated Richard Dent (or one of them)

(C)Keith Murray, "
703821, my grandfather was the doorman @ oprah's building for many many years.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Fri Oct-23-15 07:27 AM
unbelievably nice person. great tipper too.
703788, Dazed and Confused is a good candidate.
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Oct-22-15 02:12 PM

>i'm in ferris bueller btw. i was an extra in the parade
>scene.

Wait, you're not one of the kids doing the finger-snap/line-dancing thing at :40 in this clips, are you?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGsD23YLvs
703803, Biggerst Linklater fan on here is me.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 08:13 PM

And Dazed & Confused couldn't oil House Party's
scalp

It's not as smart

It's not as funny

It's not as powerful

(C)Keith Murray, "
703806, Wrong on all accounts.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Oct-22-15 09:48 PM
>And Dazed & Confused couldn't oil House Party's
>scalp

Follow the drip!

you know this is nonsene though.

>It's not as smart
>
>It's not as funny
>
>It's not as powerful

You KNOW this is nonsense.
703810, People have a hard time ackowledging black quirk
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 11:02 PM

House Party was a smarter, quirkier movie than
Dazed & Confused

It just doesn't get that reputation because it has
cool black people dancing in it

But it's smarter and as thoughtful a comedy
703815, Who is "People"? I married a very quirky black woman, so NOPE.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Oct-23-15 01:19 AM
I KNOW quirky black folks. Don't play that card with me. I know, I know, being married in/raised with/having black family does not make one an expert on all things black, yada yada yada, but it's precisely that sort of nuance that makes my point for me.

>House Party was a smarter, quirkier movie than
>Dazed & Confused

Of course it's quirkier. Dazed is much more earnest by comparison. That observation falls squarely under "no shit" and doesn't hold water as an argument for "better" unless you're making the argument that the more quirky something is, the better it is, but that argument dissolves after minimal reasoning. "quirk" is definitely not a factor in comparing to very different movies that served as very different snapshots of two very different times and cultures.

>Smarter

Smarter....in what way? Make that argument and I'll be happy to listen. Not, like, in that Basaglia way wherein you believe your mere declaration is all the proof that is needed, but actually, you know, support this opinion with objective and nuanced perspective.

>It just doesn't get that reputation because it has
>cool black people dancing in it

Among the average Skyler, Tyler, and Taylor gang? Sure. Peyton, Chad, and Tanner probably watch it on some fetish shit in black face with Kaitlyn, Apple, and some poor product of ironic hipster fuckery named Mildred. Yes, that crowd probably sleeps but it's generally well regarded and most people I come across love it.

>But it's smarter and as thoughtful a comedy

It's smart and thoughtful, but so is Dazed. If you said that about Can't Hardly Wait, well yeah, I agree. Sixteen Candles? You bet, though part of the appeal of SC is that it's a little dumb and irreverent.

Of course my stance here is that this category has a lot of parity and I don't see anything that's really leading the rest, though I'd argue Ferris, Pretty In Pink and American Pie would probably fight it out in a majority poll on Yahoo or something.
703826, Not shitting on you, bro, I respect your opinion.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Oct-23-15 08:35 AM

Just my humble thoughts

More later

(C)Keith Murray, "
703867, 'House party' is thousands of times smarter than D&C or American Pie
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Oct-23-15 09:47 PM

These white movies are great, but are empty, privileged
humor

'House Party' has better teenage butthole humor AND manages
to insert some actual American culture, the way kids actually
live in behave. It tackles class and race and stuff like that
RESPONSIBLY while also being more fun

Kid and Play combination >>>>>>>>> Humping a fucking pie

Seriously

(C)Keith Murray, "
703874, Empty? I don't see either as empty at all.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 01:03 AM
>These white movies are great, but are empty, privileged
>humor

>'House Party' has better teenage butthole humor AND manages
>to insert some actual American culture, the way kids actually
>live in behave. It tackles class and race and stuff like that
>RESPONSIBLY while also being more fun

D & C inserts plenty of American culture. The aforementioned privilege is a part of said culture (mailbox smashing anyone?). The bicentennial setting and the optimism for the 80's after what was perceived as a drag decade. This is especially intriguing given that music was a central figure in the film and the 70's was a fucking fantastic era for music on all fronts. Those kids didn't know how good they had it. It's also a look at a small town culture with what amounts to city-sponsored hazing, rights of passage, and transitioning from one phase to the next. There's plenty of commentary to discuss about D&C. In fact, everything on this list is worthy of such discussion.

Now, to your point about K&P tackling race and class and doing so responsibly, that's the sort of thing I was hoping to read and that's a valid point. It's probably the high moral water mark in this mix and earns points for that. i got no beef with that criteria.

>Kid and Play combination >>>>>>>>> Humping a fucking pie
>
>Seriously

Meh. Different apples IMO. Fucking that pie wasnt hilarious pie fucking is hilarious, it's hilarious because he got caught. By his dad, a guy who added awkward insult to every injury.
703879, American Pie kids didn't have single dads and poor friends.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Oct-24-15 07:52 AM

Funny movie, has aged terribly though

Part of the problem is that it's empty

It's easier to write a movie with zero social concern
or backdrop

Much harder to make a movie like House Party, with
actual issues woven in

It's basically a good metaphor for the black vs white
experience in America

Privilege makes everything easier, even making a movie
funny

House Party was burdened more and was STILL smarter and
funnier

(C)Keith Murray, "
703822, nah, no closeups. i'm just buried in the crowd somewhere.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Fri Oct-23-15 07:28 AM
>
>>i'm in ferris bueller btw. i was an extra in the parade
>>scene.
>
>Wait, you're not one of the kids doing the
>finger-snap/line-dancing thing at :40 in this clips, are
>you?:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGsD23YLvs
703650, I rock with that pick. I personally like "Juice" & "The Wood" better.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Oct-19-15 08:32 PM
Pause
703728, "The Wood" doesn't get enough love
Posted by Calico, Wed Oct-21-15 06:54 AM
...that movie is great....
703768, I'm like....Dance Fever!
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Oct-22-15 10:25 AM
I do love The Wood. It's not seeing House Party though. No way, no how
703771, Yup. The Wood speaks more to my personal experience
Posted by Amritsar, Thu Oct-22-15 12:46 PM
House party is great but im too young to fully identify with that air of late 80s early 90s positivity
703773, Juice is a different genre IMO. Dark urban drama.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Oct-22-15 01:01 PM

But beautiful flick, obviously
703814, It Gets My Vote for the Battle Alone
Posted by RexLongfellow, Thu Oct-22-15 11:46 PM
That battle STILL knocks!

Outside of that, it's Bueller, American Pie, and like someone said, the Wood should be getting a lot more love
703816, Yeah the battle is something special
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Oct-23-15 01:22 AM
I kinda wish OE wasn't going so hard to push it as GOAT because I love it.
703818, so in middle school...
Posted by notnac, Fri Oct-23-15 03:14 AM
This girl who loved me asked me to dance at one of our dances. To Always and Forever. I did the Martin thing, singing it and all like in the movie. The look of caucasian confusion could not be stronger on her face.

In hindsight, I feel bad for ruining what she hoped would be a special moment. But I hope she got around to getting it.
703861, In here just to say Roll Bounce is up there for me
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Oct-23-15 07:41 PM
Hard to argue against House Party though. Only one mentioned in here that I'd agree could give it a run is Dazed.
703880, Yo Roll Bounce is mad good B
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Oct-24-15 07:53 AM
>Hard to argue against House Party though. Only one mentioned
>in here that I'd agree could give it a run is Dazed.

(C)Keith Murray, "
703899, Love that flick.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sat Oct-24-15 09:20 PM
703898, you guys REALLY like John Hughes flicks better than HP?
Posted by rdhull, Sat Oct-24-15 06:42 PM
smh
703900, How is that such a ridiculous notion?
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Oct-24-15 11:04 PM
There's like ten flicks that are perfectly acceptable choices to top anyone's list.

Shit I have Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle over a lot of these.
703921, John Hughes movies are twilight zone flicks..and ridiculous
Posted by rdhull, Sun Oct-25-15 07:55 PM
yall just romanticize those flicks

how they dont make you vomit is beyond me

yall make him out to be some teen Salinger..well he may actually be that to some folks who felt Breakfast Club spoke to their generation..which is laughable if so

>There's like ten flicks that are perfectly acceptable choices
>to top anyone's list.
>
>Shit I have Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle over a lot of
>these.
703907, Yeah, a lot of this post is typical PTP worship of white things
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Oct-25-15 12:04 PM

Most people in this post have relegated House Party
as "oh that was so much fun...the battle was awesome"

It was just as SMART as any John Hughes movie

JUST AS SMART

Intricately made

Black things never get this lens

Ever

703914, So you've gone down from SMARTER to JUST AS smart?
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Oct-25-15 06:00 PM
>
>Most people in this post have relegated House Party
>as "oh that was so much fun...the battle was awesome"
>
>It was just as SMART as any John Hughes movie
>
>JUST AS SMART
>
>Intricately made
>
>Black things never get this lens
>
>Ever

^^^^Ducktales.

Show the work on that math, playboy.

You're a Mad Black Guy.

Why?
703918, Teehee. So who's race baiting now?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Oct-25-15 06:55 PM

>You're a Mad Black Guy.

I don't what race you are. I know you're a shitty poster, though.

But I actually don't think that has anything to do with your
race.

Shitty posters exist across the galaxy.

But you want to make it about my race?

Hmmmmmm.

Continue, you keep shooting yourself in your happy little
race-conscious feet, and I'm enjoying this.

(C)Keith Murray, "
703919, ^^^^^Doesn't know his own playbook when he sees it
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Oct-25-15 07:08 PM
703920, I'm listening, Race Baiter.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Oct-25-15 07:15 PM

What does my race have to do with this?

(C)Keith Murray, "
703922, No, Master, Race Baiter.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Oct-25-15 08:14 PM
Nope. This is YOUR play book and YOU introduced the notion that people don't understand "black quirk".

You absolutely started that thread, High Chief Race Baiter.
703901, Does 'Can't Buy Me Love' get any love around here?
Posted by BigKato, Sun Oct-25-15 12:55 AM
703909, An all time favorite, classic, and one of the best in the genre
Posted by spenzalii, Sun Oct-25-15 02:01 PM
There's an argument that Hughes is the master of this genre, but House Party can rightly be placed in that discussion of GOAT. Yes, there were quite a few things in the movie that were specific to the black audience, but the teen experience, especially at that time period, could relate across races, which isn't easy to do

Also, just how great was Robin Harris? He will always be missed
703917, Robin Harris was a VERY CARING DAD too
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Oct-25-15 06:53 PM

Dude was caring and complex underneath all that humor

You KNOW dude cared deeply and was still grieving underneath
it all

It's a GOOD fucking movie, WELL acted and directed
704024, People should take race outta the discussion
Posted by Calico, Wed Oct-28-15 06:46 AM
them Hughes movies were pretty doggone white if we're playing by those rules....

I don't like romanticizing the Hughes movies and then acting like HP, The Wood, Roll Bounce, Boyz In The Hood, etc didn't have their own greatness and nuances too...
704030, no we shouldnt really
Posted by rdhull, Wed Oct-28-15 10:15 AM
Because HP was the first teen flick many folsk could relate too

that Hughes bullshit rich Chicagoans on the lake settings etc?

HP was a flick that included severral aspects of others lives as OE spoke of in the initial post...police hasslin teens, alcohol, pre amrital sex, the class system regarding project folks and house owniun folks, light skin dark skin...

come the fuck on

yal steady proppin Sixteen fuckin Candles?

lmao

>them Hughes movies were pretty doggone white if we're playing
>by those rules....
>
>I don't like romanticizing the Hughes movies and then acting
>like HP, The Wood, Roll Bounce, Boyz In The Hood, etc didn't
>have their own greatness and nuances too...
704038, relateability and and great writing/acting help these films alot
Posted by Calico, Wed Oct-28-15 11:20 AM
...that's why making it about race, isn't a good argument Hughes movies reflected one experience, as most teen films do......if you wanna make about people in culturally different parts of the country? cool... otherwise it's apples and oranges to me...

and 16 Candles is a classic, whether you like it or not, same as House Party...

704105, Nah, its only about race when something BLACK gets praise
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Oct-30-15 12:13 PM

Because whiteness is default

And everything else is different, so if you like the
black thing, it's only because of culture

Pure, objective taste is liking white things

(C)Keith Murray, "
704110, yall had relateability with Hughes school life etc? no.. great writing/acting help these films alot
Posted by rdhull, Fri Oct-30-15 02:10 PM
an great writing...okay

if those were some great writen movies than HP should have received Oscars

Hughes is cookie cutter bad rich kids vs poor real emotions kids pap

come the fuck on with this nonsense

Ferris Beuller lol...

>...that's why making it about race, isn't a good argument
>Hughes movies reflected one experience, as most teen films
>do......if you wanna make about people in culturally different
>parts of the country? cool... otherwise it's apples and
>oranges to me...
>
>and 16 Candles is a classic, whether you like it or not, same
>as House Party...
>
>
704088, nice
Posted by Flash80, Thu Oct-29-15 06:48 PM
>Also, just how great was Robin Harris? He will always be
>missed

kept it going by son'ing denzel and wesley in mo' better too.

aside from the blockbusters, my soft spot adolescence flick is a toss up between real genius, space camp and the last dragon. definitely emulated house party the most in style and fun, though, as a teen. it wasn't until later as a young adult that the underlying themes O_E pointed out resonated with me.

we all go through it.
704008, If Rushmore counts, then that would be my vote.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Tue Oct-27-15 04:04 PM
and yeah it's whiter than every John Hughes movie combined. don't care. it's great.
704019, Nah 'Rushmore' good. Better than 'American Pie' too
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Oct-27-15 08:54 PM

n/m

(C)Keith Murray, "
704027, Where do you guys stand on VALLEY GIRL and LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN
Posted by DVS, Wed Oct-28-15 09:32 AM
Doesn't get as much notoriety but for 80s teen flicks...they are definitely up there

D
704118, VALLEY GIRL was dumb but LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN was great!
Posted by rdhull, Fri Oct-30-15 05:50 PM
>Doesn't get as much notoriety but for 80s teen flicks...they
>are definitely up there
>
>D

when fat dude was fucki that ho lmao

and the crabs

the assholia of the one dude.."I fucked Karen..har har har har" lmao

the soundtrak too was cool too
704114, I'm with Orbit
Posted by Nappy Soul, Fri Oct-30-15 04:35 PM
It's definitely one of the best. John Hughes flicks are awesome and probably the definitive teen flicks to influence all of 'em. But I can't identify with the John Hughes universe the same way I do with HP, even less with the American Pie movies ( Which I think are overrated. They didn't age too well IMO) . House party and The Wood are flicks that remind me of my own days as a teenager. Police flexing on us; clowning bullies, sneaking out the house on a week night, slow dancing with crushes,hip hop is still full of energy, youth and fun; taking a girl home after the party and trying to get a kiss at the very least, paying for your sneaking out with a whooping and getting grounded. House party is a postcard to those days that don't feel like fiction to us.
704141, Definitely nostalgia worthy
Posted by lfresh, Sat Oct-31-15 10:11 PM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
704166, This dude tried to say American Pie tho....LMAO
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Nov-02-15 10:12 AM
That movie aged terribly