Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMatt Damon's diversity comment.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=702785
702785, Matt Damon's diversity comment.
Posted by bwood, Sat Sep-19-15 08:42 AM
Shout out to SanofaII for this. I missed this and I want to what (most) PTP has to say about this.

http://www.thewrap.com/this-director-and-woman-of-color-doesnt-buy-matt-damons-diversity-apology-guest-blog/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Alert&utm_term=breaking-news

There’s collective shock among African-Americans over Damon’s remark on “Project Greenlight,” says Victoria Mahoney

Matt Damon drew backlash for his controversial comments about diversity behind the camera on the premiere episode of HBO’s “Project Greenlight,” which aired Sept. 13. The actor later released an apology, saying: “My comments were part of a much broader conversation about diversity in Hollywood and the fundamental nature of ‘Project Greenlight’ which did not make the show.”

Everywhere I go people ask my thoughts on #Damonsplaining. I’m not talking about my mother and my high school friends. I mean complete strangers, outside of a restaurant, needing me to explain it to them.

Also Read: Matt Damon Apologizes for Controversial 'Project Greenlight' Diversity Comments

I guess people ask me because I fit the profile. Apparently, I’m the topic du jour. Woman. Of Color. Writer. Director.

All joking aside, I’m amazed at the magnitude with which Matt’s words rattled through the industry. I was on set at 0’dark thirty pulling standard 12 hour network days the morning after “Project Greenlight’s” recent iteration aired and I swear, you could hear his name buzzing across sound stages for two straight days. Then just as the collective shock began to simmer the “sorry you were offended, happy to start a convo” arrived. Prompting another social media sh-tstorm by countless marginalized folks who have been having this convo for 100 odd years.

Last evening, I stepped away from punching up the back six of a thirteen episode deadline, for two hours to catch a Master Class at The Wallis and sure enough a student asked Denzel Washington for his thoughts on the subject. Within the occasion of having Denzel’s ear and undivided attention, a 22-year-old film student thought the most important thing in their world at that very second was to ask for help processing the impact of Matt’s words on her career.

I imagine the collective shock stems from Matt’s point A-Z history as one of the good ones. He is legendary for being a nice guy. Consummate pro. With a wicked sense of humor. Humble. Loyal. Zero scandal. No skeletons. Sincerely charitable. Proper activist.

Quite frankly, none of us fans saw it coming. 85 percent of the industry displays their lack of awareness (or lack of interest in possessing awareness) on their sleeve or in an email hack. Not Matt. The proud child of a loving Educator who, unlike his peer group has repeatedly made choices with acute awareness, intellect and interest. If a top ally is seemingly blind to the reality of the industry’s long tailed hiring practices we have to ask — where do outliers gain support?

I genuinely have no idea what he meant to say or why as a producer, he wouldn’t have full content control from frame 1-1000. Hard to step away from that apology without wondering “why he didn’t laboriously comb the bin specifically splicing in crucial footage permitting fullness to a weighted discussion with producer Effie Brown.” (The final run time on the show hitting airwaves, permitted ample space for an additional line of dialogue toward clarity).

The only thing I know for certain is — people love Matt. No if, but or maybe. (A glimpse at my Twitter feed and you’ll find a 24 month stretch of me begging for his return to the “Bourne” series. I’m embarrassed to say how many triple digit times I’ve watched “Identity” & “Supremacy.”) The ratio of our affinity for a public figure forces us to investigate an unexpected, misinterpreted and/or hidden side of their nature. Leaving us confused about which end of the playing field we now stand.

Being the generous person I am (really I’m hoping people will stop asking me to quantify the rules of diversity and the mystical origins of Damonsplaining), I’ve formulated something of a quiz. Similar to what you’d receive in a general check up. Along the lines of; do you have allergies, do you smoke, do you drink, how often, yada, yada.

A travel size questionnaire, riddle, puzzle. Feel free to share the 16 questions with your family, friends, loved ones, associates, coworkers, neighbors, professors, roommates, dog psychics, cat manicurists … the sky’s the limit.

Probably best if you aim to tell the truth since come on, you’d only be lying to yourself. No one on planet Earth ever has to see your answers (copy/paste to the notes app on your smart phone then delete immediately after completion).

The Diversity Quiz: Inspired by Matt Damon

1) How many POC (people of color) were guests in my home this year/In my lifetime? __/__
2) How many POC were guests at my birthday this year/In my lifetime? __/__
3) How many POC consider me to be a dear friend? __
4) How many POC were guests at my child(ren’s) birthday this year/In their lifetime?__/__
5) How many POC are in my child(ren’s) classroom this year/In their lifetime?__/__
6) How many POC consider my child(ren) to be a dear friend?
7) How many POC do I socially interact with on a weekly basis (not incl’g those I employ in either my home or office)? __
8) How many POC have I dated this year/In my lifetime? __/__
9) How many books, films, TV shows by POC have I read, watched this year/In my lifetime? __/__
10) How many POC are holding executive positions &/or sitting on the board of trustees at my company this year/In the lifetime of my career? __/__
11) How many POC did I purchase film/TV pitches from this year/In the lifetime of my career? __/__
12) How many POC total did I see in the lobby during staffing season this year/In the lifetime of my career? __/__
13) How many POC hold a producer, director, writer, DP, key crew slot on the show/film/commercial/web series I’m presently working on/In the lifetime of my career? __/__
14) How many POC have I suggested for a job, worked with this year/In the lifetime of my career? __/__
15) How many POC writers/directors have I repped (as an agent/agency/mngr/co)?
16) How many POC have I mentored this year/In the lifetime of my career? __/__

Intended merely as a jumping off place. The point is, self awareness begins by asking tough questions.
*POC = People of Color. If you’re extra frisky, please add WOMAN & LGBTQ to each question.
It’s a free country. I don’t think there should be mandates requiring Hollywood stars must work with diverse filmmakers. I also don’t think there should be outdated ideas about who gets to bat and who doesn’t.

To quote Jimmy Kimmel, sincere apologies to Matt Damon, we ran out of time tonight.
702786, RE: Matt Damon's apology
Posted by bwood, Sat Sep-19-15 08:43 AM
http://www.thewrap.com/matt-damon-apologizes-for-controversial-project-greenlight-diversity-comments/

“I am sorry that they offended some people, but, at the very least, I am happy that they started a conversation,” actor and producer says in statement to TheWrap

Matt Damon is apologizing and clarifying remarks he made on the “Project Greenlight” season premiere Sunday, which stirred up controversy online.

“My comments were part of a much broader conversation about diversity in Hollywood and the fundamental nature of ‘Project Greenlight’ which did not make the show,” he said in a statement to TheWrap on Wednesday. “I am sorry that they offended some people, but, at the very least, I am happy that they started a conversation about diversity in Hollywood.”

During the episode, Damon and his fellow producers – including Ben Affleck, the Farrelly brothers and “Dear White People” producer Effie Brown — debated the directing finalists they had to choose from.

Brown lobbied for the directing duo of Leo Angelos & Kristen Brancaccio, an Asian man and white woman, arguing that they could bring a diverse perspective to the script.

But Damon disagreed.

“When we’re talking about diversity, you do it in the casting of the film, not in the casting of the show,” he said, referring to the need to focus on diversity during casting, not during the staffing of the show.

“Wow. Okay!” Brown answered in amazement. She also expressed concerns over how the chosen script’s one black character, a prostitute, would be represented on screen.

Many social media users were just as exasperated as Brown. They relentlessly roasted Damon on Twitter and caused the hashtag #damonsplaining to trend for several hours on Monday.

Read Damon’s full statement below.

I believe deeply that there need to be more diverse filmmakers making movies. I love making movies. It’s what I have chosen to do with my life and I want every young person watching “Project Greenlight” to believe that filmmaking is a viable form of creative expression for them too.

My comments were part of a much broader conversation about diversity in Hollywood and the fundamental nature of “Project Greenlight” which did not make the show. I am sorry that they offended some people, but, at the very least, I am happy that they started a conversation about diversity in Hollywood. That is an ongoing conversation that we all should be having.

“Project Greenlight” airs Sundays at 10 p.m. ET on HBO.
702787, What he said
Posted by bwood, Sat Sep-19-15 08:48 AM
http://www.thewrap.com/matt-damon-has-twitter-seeing-red-over-project-greenlight-diversity-comment/

“When we’re talking about diversity you do it in the casting of the film not in the casting of the show,” Damon said in an exchange with producer Effie Brown

Matt Damon has come under fire on social media for an exchange that aired during Sunday night’s season premiere of HBO docu-series “Project Greenlight.”

In choosing a director for a comedy with a black prostitute as a main character, Damon and his fellow producers – including Ben Affleck, the Farrelly brothers and “Dear White People” producer Effie Brown – debated the finalists they had to choose from.

Brown lobbied for the directing duo of Leo Angelos & Kristen Brancaccio, an Asian man and white woman, arguing they could bring a diverse perspective to the script.

Also Read: Fall TV Preview: 126 New and Returning Shows Premiere Dates

“I would want to urge people to think about – whoever this director is, how they’re going to treat the character of Harmony,” she said. “The only black character who’s a hooker who gets hit by her white pimp.”

Damon retorted that Angelos and Brancaccio, out of the group of finalists, were the only ones who did not bring up the potentially problematic issues with the Harmony character.

“So on the surface they look like one thing, but they might end up giving us something we don’t want,” he said.

Also Read: 'Mindy Project's' Ed Weeks, Newcomer Melanie Zanetti Join Project Greenlight Film 'Leisure Class' (Exclusive)

But his next statement is when viewers decided he crossed a line.

“When we’re talking about diversity, you do it in the casting of the film, not in the casting of the show,” he said, referring to the need to focus on diversity during casting, not during the staffing of the show.

“Wow. Okay!” Brown answered in amazement.

Many social media users were just as exasperated as Brown. They relentlessly roasted Damon on Twitter and caused the hashtag #damonsplaining to trend for several hours on Monday.

Also Read: Matt Damon Is Confident 'Jason Bourne Would Kick the Sh-t Out of Batman'

“Matt Damon speaking over the only black person in the room so he can explain diversity to her is SO WHITE it hurts,” said Twitter user MrPooni, whose tweet has been retweeted over 3,000 times and favorited nearly 2,500 times.

“Project Greenlight” ended up choosing New York-based director Jason Mann, a white male, for the job, and the rest of the season is set to follow Mann as he sets out to direct the Farrelly brothers’ script, “Not Another Pretty Woman.”

Also Read: Ben Affleck, Matt Damon to Produce FIFA Scandal Movie for Warner Bros.

Reps for Damon have not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Below is a sampling of social media reactions to the “Project Greenlight” exchange:

*click link to read tweets*
702860, when content management goes wrong, lmao
Posted by sfMatt, Tue Sep-22-15 06:32 PM

>Also Read: Matt Damon Is Confident 'Jason Bourne Would Kick
>the Sh-t Out of Batman'
702790, white folks in hollywood gonna be white folks in hollywood
Posted by kayru99, Sat Sep-19-15 02:04 PM
largely racist, and insular as hell.
702795, I was surprised this came from Damon
Posted by Hitokiri, Sat Sep-19-15 10:25 PM
He's always seemed like he "got" it.
White gon white though I guess.
702796, Insularity.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Sep-19-15 10:55 PM
He's used to being one of the most liberal dudes he knows... but he still doesn't interact with many black people, I would imagine. So he thinks he's the one "fighting the good fight."

He needed to see that South Park. The one where Stan's response at the end of it is "I don't know. And I never will." That's really the only sound response a white person should have, celebrity or not.
702802, Bollocks! Matty D. is one of my best mates. We did 3 films together!
Posted by Don Cheadle with an Accent, Sun Sep-20-15 05:20 PM
He introduced me to his mum and everything.
702858, lmao
Posted by sfMatt, Tue Sep-22-15 06:28 PM
702864, Lololol
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue Sep-22-15 09:52 PM
702873, lmao
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Wed Sep-23-15 09:12 AM
702906, ha!
Posted by lfresh, Thu Sep-24-15 10:51 AM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
702810, There it is.
Posted by bwood, Mon Sep-21-15 09:33 AM
>He's used to being one of the most liberal dudes he knows...
>but he still doesn't interact with many black people, I would
>imagine. So he thinks he's the one "fighting the good fight."
>
>
>He needed to see that South Park. The one where Stan's
>response at the end of it is "I don't know. And I never will."
>That's really the only sound response a white person should
>have, celebrity or not.

I'm glad someone white pointed this out.
702866, How does that translate into the real world though?
Posted by denny, Wed Sep-23-15 03:04 AM
I'm not certain as to the roles they are playing in the show so I'll just present a hypothetical scenario.

You are co-producing a movie with 2 other individuals. One of them, a female POC, suggests that the team should hire 1 of 5 possible directors on the basis that the movie calls for a diverse cast and they are a POC.

'I don't know and I never will' doesn't really cut it y'know? lol. There's gonna be times where a white person can't just simply avoid or forego any decision making that involves diversity.
702814, i'm not mad or surprised
Posted by Calico, Mon Sep-21-15 10:16 AM
most don't care about diversity on screen so why would most of Hollywood be concerned with it behind it?
702815, nice.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Sep-21-15 10:24 AM
702859, it was a weak point and I'm surprised he made *that* the argument
Posted by sfMatt, Tue Sep-22-15 06:31 PM
Really he could/should have just stuck with the idea that the *better film* would come from Jason, rather than the duo offering the diversity.
702867, lol That's not an apology.
Posted by denny, Wed Sep-23-15 04:40 AM
We should start calling these things something else. 'Semantic Clarifications'. 'Justifications'. 'Matt Damon released his straw-man focus-deflection letter today'.

I haven't read much in-depth analysis on this. So I saw two things here.....

1. When we’re talking about diversity, you do it in the casting of the film, not in the casting of the show

There's alot to unravel there. I'll get back to that.

2.“I would want to urge people to think about – whoever this director is, how they’re going to treat the character of Harmony,” she said. “The only black character who’s a hooker who gets hit by her white pimp.”

Damon retorted that Angelos and Brancaccio, out of the group of finalists, were the only ones who did not bring up the potentially problematic issues with the Harmony character.

“So on the surface they look like one thing, but they might end up giving us something we don’t want,” he said.

This second part is acceptable to me. Damon is making an argument that is legitimate regardless of whether or not it's true to their specific circumstance. (It's worth noting that circumstances needed to justify it are rare) But the premise is that it's possible for a director to be a better option despite the fact that they do not share any or part of the identity status with that of the subject matter and/or cast.

But #1 goes further with that....'When we’re talking about diversity, you do it in the casting of the film, not in the casting of the show'. On the surface....you could say that this statement is equivalent to saying 'It's possible to have a white director for a movie about Malcolm X. But it's not possible to have a white leading man in a movie about Malcolm X.' I suspect that this is what Matt Damon wishes he could tell everybody that he meant....but his PR firm won't allow him to dig himself that deep. lol

Most disturbingly, it goes to show how Damon defines 'diversity'. For him, it would appear that diversity is when POC play roles written for POC. This is a shockingly low-set bar set for the word 'diversity'. Take an old adventure movie from the 60's taking place in 'the jungles of Africa' and all of those racist tropes. By Damon's definition....those movies are 'diverse' as long as the POC are played by POC (and we all know they used people described under the term POC interchangably). Representation alone is not criteria for 'diversity'.

It means alot of things. It means the 'insides' represent the 'outsides' in Hollywood. It DOES matter that the lighting guy is from Brooklyn if you're making a movie in New York. Damon is worried that diversity is a trump card.....but it doesn't have to be. Coincidentally, he just HAPPENED to take up the position that amongst the potential directing teams....it was the LGBT one that didn't acknowledge the feminist undertones of the script.

His PR agent isn't gonna let him say it...but Damon wants to clarify that diversity is NOT a trump card. In doing so, he demonstrates an inability to understand what the virtues of diversity are. He makes a public statement that vehemently throws it's support behind an unrelated issue (More minorities should make their own movies!)

702894, I'm stunned it made the cut
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Sep-23-15 11:14 PM
1. It makes Matt look terrible, even with the added bite about the show supposedly being a contest about merit.

2. Even with the merit bite, the fact that he called it "The Show" exposed what we soon saw was the BS of the contest - they picked the director who would be the best television show, not the best for the script (which nobody really seemed to like all that much anyway.)

I think the reason Matt can't really fully explain himself is because I think he was arguing against the diverse couple because they were boring. Casting a movie can be more diverse because they are pre-written roles; when casting a reality show, you have to go with the personality who will make the most noise. Casting an amiable, diverse couple who have one problem with the script (which everyone seems to agree was a problem) and seem easy to work with is boring. Casting the nice guy who would be a great fit for the material is boring. Casting the asshole who wants to rewrite everything and immediately is clashing with The Farrelly Bro is TV.
(Although for me, there was a record scratch moment when I saw his short; he was acting like he was some serious auteur and then wrote a low brow, fairly standard comedy.

But I kind of give him credit for leaving it in. Most people would have made sure that moment didn't see the light of day. So there's that, I guess.