Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDiary of a Teenage Girl (Marielle Heller, 2015)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=702468
702468, Diary of a Teenage Girl (Marielle Heller, 2015)
Posted by bwood, Thu Sep-03-15 01:43 PM
Yo so this shit was outstanding b. It doesn't try to paint Minnie the protagonist as a slut. She portrayed as a girl having a sexual awakening that gets out of control. The nudity ans sex is not sexualized and titillating either.

Everyone in the cast kills it and I think the director and DP are gonna have long careers. The score is dope too.

It's a shame this will be overlooked.
702476, Goddamn, I really wanted to see this.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-03-15 04:25 PM
It played for like one week on the Westside of LA and then vanished. I might have to wait for VOD now. Fucking distribution...
702477, Same happened for me for The End of the Tour.
Posted by bwood, Thu Sep-03-15 04:57 PM
Missed my screening and it played for one week here in Trenton. Gonna have to catch it in NYC.

This is the last day for this movie in the tri-state area as well except for NYC.
702481, does it have any racial stuff in it?
Posted by BigWorm, Thu Sep-03-15 09:19 PM
I can probably go ahead and say that in the book the protagonist is outright racist.

Not that any of the males in the book are characterized in a positive way, but just about every mention of black men is attached with it noted disgust/repulsion. And most of the time they are depicted as pimps and/or sexual predators.

You can excuse it on account of the times, but...otherwise it's just this girl's very wild and unfortunate coming of age story that randomly hits you on the head with pretty scathing racism.
702483, Minnie does refer to Mexicans as wetbacks very quickly but
Posted by bwood, Thu Sep-03-15 09:53 PM
they do talk about black guys the way most white chicks do. I took in stride and the film KIM for the most part.

So, no really offensive shit other than the wetback shit.
706489, Terrific movie. Highly recommended.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Dec-29-15 01:26 AM
Great in pretty much every regard.