Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBeasts of No Nation (Fukunaga, 2015)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=702462
702462, Beasts of No Nation (Fukunaga, 2015)
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-03-15 12:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsaclO0VbU

Great reviews are pouring in, and also this: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/beasts-of-no-nation-netflix-idris-elba-cary-fukunaga-1201582041/

Can't wait.
702464, Sounds like he ought to have made a documentary about the filming. LOL
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Sep-03-15 01:18 PM
Idris is worth watching in anything he does. Hopefully, the movie will work out well for Netflix.

Do you think having Netflix as another distributor will end up helping producers make movies that push the envelope of the public's taste more than studio movies?
703534, WHO KEEPS CHOPPING THESE DAMN ONIONS!!!
Posted by DVS, Fri Oct-16-15 08:55 AM
I mighta shoulda waited until I got home to start watching this.

D
703561, is it harder to watch than sometime in april
Posted by onthat, Fri Oct-16-15 02:20 PM
703562, ^^^^
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Fri Oct-16-15 02:47 PM
703543, They said your man stayed in character throughout the entire shoot
Posted by Dae021, Fri Oct-16-15 10:51 AM
On some Denzel shit
703544, I've been waiting on this one, looks and sounds fantastic.
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Oct-16-15 10:56 AM
703547, its soul crushing nm
Posted by DVS, Fri Oct-16-15 11:03 AM
703563, 5/5 its dope its raw and its beautifully shot (spoilers)
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Fri Oct-16-15 02:57 PM
-the cinematography is dope as shit

-the main kid was really good idris was cool but his nigerian/west african accent was surprisingly distracting

-story was hot fiya its pretty basic but they dove into a lot of layers to this shit

-you really felt the exhaustion by the climax

-wasnt a lot of gore for gore sake but its pretty graphic. none of the graphic scenes felt like a cyse...matter of fact this movie has a very low cyse percentage

- i think the main actor was the star he did a good job of that acting without words shit especially the final scene(im sure the film school contingent could better explain)

-they did a good job of showing how organized the some rebel groups are. Its easy to just assume its just a bunch of opium laced kids running around with AK's. I got the impression the writers were obviously inspired by Liberia(the general butt naked dude, idris' monologue about what would happen to them when they try to go back to their villages.)

-i will have to watch again to make sure i wasnt lunching on things but feel like this is one of the best films ive seen in a while.

-if you cry easy you are warned
703581, so good
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Sat Oct-17-15 05:17 PM
really really good
703596, Movie is fantastic. Netflix might have a game changer with this premiere.
Posted by phenompyrus, Sun Oct-18-15 02:33 PM
The best part of the movie was Abraham Attah. I'm assuming he gets nods left and right in Best Actor categories.

Everyone else was great too (Idris quickly becoming my favorite actor thanks to stuff like this and Luther) and the direction is top notch. It makes me sad that Fukunaga is no longer attached to the new adaptation of Stephen King's It, imagine what he could do with a horror film about a killer clown.
703622, Dude has automatic good will built up with me now. I'll see his next 3 films
Posted by Lardlad95, Mon Oct-19-15 09:11 AM
no questions asked.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard
703603, that kid absolutely killed it
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Oct-18-15 10:33 PM
strong stuff here
703621, That last scene?
Posted by Lardlad95, Mon Oct-19-15 09:09 AM
My girlfriend and I belted out "Where did they find this kid?" at the exact same time.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard
703617, Cool of Idris to want to play
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Oct-19-15 08:08 AM
such a flawed character. According to the credits, he was billed as a producer as well, which I'm guessing means he shelled out of ducats to partially fund the movie as well. Is that accurate? In particular, I'm referring to one scene towards the middle of the flick that intimately involves him and the main character.

I almost don't want to read the book this is based on since I'm sure it'll be depressing as hell, but I wonder how many changes were made between this and the flick? SPOILER for those that don't want to know, but in an interview, Fukunaga mentioned that head guy The Commandant reported to was made up and I saw another review that stated that the ending was different as well.

All the child actors did a bang up job in this. Impressive since based on interviews this was the first acting job for a majority of the children based on interviews, along with the heavy material the film dealt with. Interesting this was actually premiered in theaters the same time it dropped on Netflix. Seems a bit odd, but I got to see it sitting in the comfort of my home yesterday, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
703619, A must see. Easily in my top ten of 2015. nm
Posted by bwood, Mon Oct-19-15 08:35 AM
703620, I couldn't get passed the second chapter of the book....
Posted by Lardlad95, Mon Oct-19-15 09:06 AM
but holy hell this is already climbing the ranks of my all time favorite films. I mean the entire cast and crew brought their A-Game. Where did they find such a remarkable child actor. Idris played such a remarkably human psychopath.

*Spoilers*

The scene where they're storming that town and Agu is tripping hard on that brown-brown might be my favorite battle sequence in a film. The visual language captured what happens to a soldier when they lose their humanity in a better way than anything I've ever seen. I'm getting chills just remembering it.
703623, Was the book poorly written
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Oct-19-15 09:25 AM
or was it too dismal and bleak? I want to read it to see how the book differed from the movie, but I don't think I can stomach how depressing I imagine it'll be.
703665, They book is literaly written the way a small child talks/thinks.
Posted by Lardlad95, Tue Oct-20-15 04:47 AM
It was so fucking disjointed that I didn't feel like investing my time in the work. Now I kind of regret that.
703700, Thanks for the warning.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-20-15 02:06 PM
I don't think I could stomach that for too long either. The screenwriter or screenwriters did a great job if that's the case. I don't remember from the credits if Fukunaga was the sole screenwriter or not.
703932, reminiscent of his True Detective season 1 One take scene
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sun Oct-25-15 09:55 PM
>The scene where they're storming that town and Agu is tripping
>hard on that brown-brown might be my favorite battle sequence
>in a film. The visual language captured what happens to a
>soldier when they lose their humanity in a better way than
>anything I've ever seen. I'm getting chills just remembering
>it.
703872, my favorite film of the year
Posted by astralblak, Sat Oct-24-15 12:55 AM
the two wars sequences, sheeesh

Idris, give him trophies

the boy, Attah, give him trophies
703931, Such a phenomenal film but have a hard time recommending it
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sun Oct-25-15 09:54 PM
i mean i told all my friends to watch it, but im like you gotta be in the right frame of mind/mood to watch it.

Right now I cant really figure out what that would be.

My best bet is a Friday night so you dont have to go to work the next 2 days and you have the rest of teh weekend to get right.
704044, same
Posted by lfresh, Wed Oct-28-15 12:36 PM
very heavy so disturbing

i'm still processing it two weeks later
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
704135, it really affected me viscerally
Posted by astralblak, Sat Oct-31-15 02:53 PM
i felt like i was inside a nightmare
704140, Agreed
Posted by lfresh, Sat Oct-31-15 10:03 PM
This is one of those when the director is too successful
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
703947, amazing film...
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Oct-26-15 08:14 AM
heart breaking though.... they kept it funky.... wasnt sure if they would go there with the sexual abuse.
703949, ***SPOILER ALERT!!!***
Posted by DVS, Mon Oct-26-15 08:53 AM
I would put Striker's death as the most soul crushing death of the year....if it wasn't for the death of The Righteous God Bing Bong, Trillest of the Trill from "Inside Out"