Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectjust finished season 1. (some spoilers)... kinda long
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=701589&mesg_id=715741
715741, just finished season 1. (some spoilers)... kinda long
Posted by astralblak, Sun Sep-18-16 01:54 PM
it's mad unoriginal and relies on hella stereotypes (not archetypes), but is still very enjoyable. much better than Empire.

the racial makeup of the show is DAF, but the racial politics of the show are problematic. Like seeing Ghost cheat on his vapid dark skinned wife/mother-of-his-kids with the Latinx of my dreams, is just a bad look. if it was flipped, it would be interesting

I didn't believe how often Ghost was bailing on meetings. Some one, even Tommy should've really checked him. put Omari's horrible Spanish is one of the greatest parts of this shit. And the scene between Ghost and Simon at the white man's home was one of the more righteous scenes one will find on TV

speaking of Tommy, him eating Tasha's food in episodes is hilarious to me. The dude playing him seems kinda off, not the right fit, but overall he works as Tommy

I figured 50 or Lobo were the ones behind all the shit with the street side of things, but was still mad when Rolla got got. he was one of my favorite characters.

as for Lobo. dude playing him is doing the shit out of the zesty lunatic kingpin. i'm dead every time he appears on screen with his fly ass suites and deranged drug lord philosophies.

the woman:
i swear to y'all i've had a version of each one, and i'm glad they picked women who actually look of age with their partners

Tasha (is my most recent ex). cute as fuck. always looking better than er'body, and obsessed with shit that don't really matter in life, other than her love of her kids. I think what she did for her daughter was real and it was corny when Ghost got emo about it. And the scene when she was at her birthday singing and Ghost takes Angie's call in the middle of it, cot damn. felt ol' girl's hurt.

Angie (the one that got away from college). she aint sitting on nothing, BUT MY LORT. i would risk it all for that women. even my own momma's house. Yeah, she the girl out the hood who can't leave the "bad boy" alone trope done to death, but her and Omari's chemistry is off the charts. There are scenes when I'm like y'all fuckin' in real life, yo

Holly (the ex before the last ex). lordy, women like her are fucn drugs man. the way she played hard to get, then got Tommy into that brawl at the bar, then stealing from Tash at the diner. No wonder Tommy prostrate at the alter of her ass.

Nomar, what a fucn scumbag. glad he finally got murked. that last series of scenes in the season finally was so damn tense.

ohh and lowkey, assassin mujer with the pink shoes, is the finest one on the show

knew 50 was gunna be a shark; and fuck, his son dumb as hell

ohhhh, last thing(s): Angela not being able to groove to Mary J and Tommy not being able to groove to Smokey had me in tears