Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHas Power (Starz) really never deserved it's own post?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=701589
701589, Has Power (Starz) really never deserved it's own post?
Posted by rjc27, Mon Aug-10-15 08:25 AM
Is this show ever gonna win any academy awards? no... But damn it's entertaining as hell again this season... I'm very excited for the season 2 finale... Does nobody else watch this here? I've wondered that a few times but with the finale coming up thought I'd post...

@rob_starrk
701590, i'd bet against it.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Mon Aug-10-15 08:29 AM
>Is this show ever gonna win any academy awards? no...
701605, you never know...they could change the rules just for this show
Posted by jigga, Mon Aug-10-15 09:13 AM
>>Is this show ever gonna win any academy awards? no...
>
701619, wrong award show yes but u get the point. pay 0 attention to emmy or acad.
Posted by rjc27, Mon Aug-10-15 10:51 AM
anyway haha
701611, this seaon has been great...
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Aug-10-15 09:55 AM
cant wait to see how the finale plays out & how it sets up season 3.
701695, very hype for this finale...
Posted by rjc27, Tue Aug-11-15 09:03 AM

@rob_starrk
701632, my brother likes it.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Aug-10-15 11:27 AM
haven't gotten around to catching up with the show yet, but hopefully I'll get around to it soon.
701667, Haven't missed an episode. Always record it.
Posted by Ink_Spot, Mon Aug-10-15 07:06 PM
It is entertaining.
701688, PTP doesn't really celebrate black stuff like that
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Aug-11-15 04:19 AM

It'll talk about the latest weird white quirk until the cows
come home

But anything featuring black people who do the unthinkable--
act cool and stuff--is going to get ignored

hipster insecurity

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
701690, ^ WOKE
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Aug-11-15 07:52 AM
701694, do u watch it though? thoughts?
Posted by rjc27, Tue Aug-11-15 09:03 AM
701713, Great. Stupid is here.
Posted by bignick, Tue Aug-11-15 02:49 PM
714180, i mean, i ain't wanna say it. but, there is an out for the doubters...
Posted by Basaglia, Thu Jul-21-16 11:50 AM
has ANYTHING on starz ever gotten it's own post?

if there has been a post for another starz show, then...

'cism.
714545, "Speak it on it god" - Lord Jamar
Posted by isaaaa, Wed Aug-03-16 06:04 PM
701705, This season is even better than last
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Aug-11-15 12:29 PM
i'm expecting the finale to be bananas and am interested in where they go from here.
i believe 50 said this is starz must successful show , so props to all involved
701710, yea, last four eps were dope...
Posted by ChuckNeal, Tue Aug-11-15 01:59 PM
Gotta be honest, I wasn't expecting to like the show. Pleasantly surprised.
701711, First season wasn't very good.
Posted by inpulse, Tue Aug-11-15 02:25 PM
It was trying too hard to be like its influences, and seemed like it didn't have its own voice. It hit all the typical tropes you would expect.

Watched a few episodes this season, and seemed pretty much the same. The actors are good, but doesn't seem like they get much leeway to flex. 50 owns nearly every scene he is in.
701712, kanan son so fucking dumb lmao.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-11-15 02:41 PM
701806, Good Good stuff
Posted by princeguy, Fri Aug-14-15 03:02 PM
Power is a great show.

I watch it every week without fail.

One of the best shows on tv right now, hands down.

701899, That finale was fire...
Posted by rjc27, Mon Aug-17-15 11:53 AM
only 1 beef (spoiler)

not following thru w/ killing 50... I applauded it at first because I could c him not wanting to be killed off, but they let him off the hook, no reason to keep his character around...
704821, dead on
Posted by Ray_Snill, Fri Nov-20-15 07:47 PM
>not following thru w/ killing 50... I applauded it at first
>because I could c him not wanting to be killed off, but they
>let him off the hook, no reason to keep his character
>around...

that was my beef too. I hate he's the executive producer cause now he's gonna keep his character on the show but he really has no purpose. dude is just a wack character period. even the dude that plays Tommy gave him a few layers with the bad acting and everything, but he's necessary for the show, there's no use for Kenan. shoulda kept Shawn

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
714135, Up. Was wondering the same thing myself. Is it any good?
Posted by icecold21, Tue Jul-19-16 03:49 PM
714170, Power has its moments....
Posted by rorschach, Thu Jul-21-16 12:49 AM
namely any scene where 50 Cent is being a rotten, grimy motherfucker (i.e. all of his scenes). Other than that, its not that good. I think Power would be a little bit more shameless in its approach it would at the very least be a guilty pleasure.

Power has this problem where the writers throw in some violence to make up for developing the plot and characters. Having said that, Omari Hardwick, Naturi Naughton, and 50 Cent are serviceable. The show doesn't give them enough to really chew on. 50 Cent gets all the quotable lines.
714557, i dont think we're watching the same show....
Posted by thegodcam, Thu Aug-04-16 09:43 AM
50 isn't the main focus of the show... hell, he was barely there in season 1 and folks were already hooked on the show
714416, Season 3
Posted by Flash80, Fri Jul-29-16 05:22 PM
not living up to season 2 and particularly that finale... so far.

feels like the sub-plots are getting a bit cluttered. they need to pace the unwrapping of mike sandoval as jefe's mole.

starz approved them for seasons 4 and 5. can y'all honestly see anything that's gonna be that compelling past this season, aside from something crazy like angela doing a feel heel turn and becoming the new jefe on the under?
714462, I want them to have Tommy and Ghost make up real soon. I'm not
Posted by Teknontheou, Mon Aug-01-16 10:05 AM
interested in seeing Tommy hate Ghost, plus we know that won't last for too long.

I'm finding myself really wrapped up in the split between Ghost and Naturi Naughton. She's becoming my favorite character on the show, just seeing her deal with these UES rich white folks very effectively while still oozing Homegirl the whole time. It's a dope balance that the actress pulls of very well.
714735, i think it's coming
Posted by Flash80, Tue Aug-09-16 06:22 PM
ghost once again showed what a boss he is by saving tommy's life.

a nice little wrinkle of a cliffhanger by the writers having him run off instead of sticking around and taking credit.

714459, Anika Rose is KILLING IT. NO BS, she should get an Emmy nod.
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Aug-01-16 09:54 AM
714460, I was captivated every moment she was on the screen.
Posted by Teknontheou, Mon Aug-01-16 10:02 AM
714469, a-yo, her intro was 5-star
Posted by Flash80, Mon Aug-01-16 11:03 AM
a crooked cop *and* a lesbian? dayuuuum. the writers ain't playin.

you just get the feeling Jukebox is gonna turn against someone close to her (again). solid actress with the unease and mistrust she's conveying with the character.

they stepped it up for episode 3.
714494, Jukebox!!!!
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Aug-02-16 09:00 AM
Yo I was just on the verge of giving up on this show. But now Im back in!
714697, tommy's girl is the worst
Posted by makaveli, Mon Aug-08-16 03:43 PM
I get why tommy listens to her cause he's whipped but now Tasha? C'mon Tasha.
714716, she gotta die. and soon.
Posted by CherNic, Tue Aug-09-16 08:59 AM
almost reminds me of Marie or Skylar. Just sit tf down and shutup
714717, I was just telling some one she is the new Skylar!
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Aug-09-16 09:39 AM
nm
738822, Skylar? She's Jane from Breaking Bad.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue May-26-20 11:42 PM
Just some trailer trash chick who becomes grossly overconfident when she finds out her man is slangin, and knows way, way, way too much, way too early to be believable for anyone halfway competent at that life.

She had the added downside of trying way too hard to get involved.

I was all too happy when she died.
714736, yeah they gotta knock that bitch off. she dragging the show down
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-09-16 06:58 PM
714734, another good episode that was nearly ruined by....
Posted by Flash80, Tue Aug-09-16 06:17 PM
50 cent jerking off to/with ole girl. did they really need to show us his dick in his hand?
714890, RE: A bone thrown for the female (and male feminines) fans I suppose
Posted by tekktron, Mon Aug-15-16 08:24 AM
714895, Episode 5... maybe the most emotional to date
Posted by Flash80, Mon Aug-15-16 11:14 AM
straight up FIYA re: suspense in the third act.

- ghost looking back at his kid in the car, who's buried in his earphones unbeknownst..... then turning back, closing his eyes in concession that he's outnumbered and his life is about to end.

just wow. that had me feeling kinda something. omari hardwick brought it, man. between this and the club scene, we're seeing ghost the dedicated father really coming out now.

- dre walking in and finding 50 holding his kid. eww

- RIP holly. didn't think she'd catch it the way she did with the DV angle, but tommy snapped and didn't realize his own strength. either way, tommy's love for ghost trumped his love for holly. does tasha ever let him know that holly was pregnant??

- sandoval's growing chess game to serve lobos while protecting himself from detection is compelling. wondering if it's greg who ultimately finds out the truth.
714930, Clearly PTP hates Black TV shows.
Posted by bignick, Tue Aug-16-16 11:19 AM
714955, Sunday was possibly my favorite episode ever of this show
Posted by Jon, Wed Aug-17-16 07:37 AM
715092, Not feeling this past episode --- SPOILERS ---
Posted by Jon, Mon Aug-22-16 10:58 AM
*** SPOILERS ***

How are we supposed to buy that Ghost and Tommy would be that friggin sloppy handling Lobos? Some things just feel clumsily forced by the writers sometimes.

And how much does merely breaking up with Angela really even accomplish in protecting Ghost, or Angela for that matter. He's only going to pique her obsessiveness over him, make her question what he's up to, keep himself out of position to see what's going on with her, and Milan still can get to her knowing she's his weakness.
715100, IMO, the nod to han solo saved everything.
Posted by Flash80, Mon Aug-22-16 04:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWr7nAt8ik
715116, yeah lol i caught that
Posted by Jon, Tue Aug-23-16 06:57 AM
715249, my conditioning's been conditioned cause i immediately thought this
Posted by gumz, Fri Aug-26-16 03:28 PM
715221, i feel like a lot of unbelievable stuff happens
Posted by makaveli, Thu Aug-25-16 03:51 PM
that robbery scene with 50's cousin or whoever she is was ridiculous. both ghost and tommy get saved at the very last second but people who just came out of no where. and that part where lobos ran away really annoyed me as well. at this point I just think Angela is annoying so I'm cool with them breaking up.
715250, yeah i hate her too...Tasha is a far better character
Posted by gumz, Fri Aug-26-16 03:29 PM
although i doubt this means less screentime for Angela, it will just drum up the drama.

But i agree...breaking up with her does nothing. Also, I'm sure this isn't what Tommy had in mind when he heard Ghost say "I'll end it"
715105, with ''Ghost'' becoming increasing surrounded by his enemies
Posted by ceeq9, Mon Aug-22-16 07:59 PM
ima need *''Buddy'' to show up in this mofo

*''Buddy'' - right hand man to Omari in ''Next Day Air''

====================================
Life in the completeness of its unity is negative. (c) ABK
715292, I keep feeling like Tommy and Tasha need to be a unit
Posted by Jon, Sun Aug-28-16 10:31 PM
And I keep wondering if that's where they're going to take this
715425, they need to rename this show to 'men all in they feelings'
Posted by Ray_Snill, Mon Sep-05-16 04:00 PM

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
715741, just finished season 1. (some spoilers)... kinda long
Posted by astralblak, Sun Sep-18-16 01:54 PM
it's mad unoriginal and relies on hella stereotypes (not archetypes), but is still very enjoyable. much better than Empire.

the racial makeup of the show is DAF, but the racial politics of the show are problematic. Like seeing Ghost cheat on his vapid dark skinned wife/mother-of-his-kids with the Latinx of my dreams, is just a bad look. if it was flipped, it would be interesting

I didn't believe how often Ghost was bailing on meetings. Some one, even Tommy should've really checked him. put Omari's horrible Spanish is one of the greatest parts of this shit. And the scene between Ghost and Simon at the white man's home was one of the more righteous scenes one will find on TV

speaking of Tommy, him eating Tasha's food in episodes is hilarious to me. The dude playing him seems kinda off, not the right fit, but overall he works as Tommy

I figured 50 or Lobo were the ones behind all the shit with the street side of things, but was still mad when Rolla got got. he was one of my favorite characters.

as for Lobo. dude playing him is doing the shit out of the zesty lunatic kingpin. i'm dead every time he appears on screen with his fly ass suites and deranged drug lord philosophies.

the woman:
i swear to y'all i've had a version of each one, and i'm glad they picked women who actually look of age with their partners

Tasha (is my most recent ex). cute as fuck. always looking better than er'body, and obsessed with shit that don't really matter in life, other than her love of her kids. I think what she did for her daughter was real and it was corny when Ghost got emo about it. And the scene when she was at her birthday singing and Ghost takes Angie's call in the middle of it, cot damn. felt ol' girl's hurt.

Angie (the one that got away from college). she aint sitting on nothing, BUT MY LORT. i would risk it all for that women. even my own momma's house. Yeah, she the girl out the hood who can't leave the "bad boy" alone trope done to death, but her and Omari's chemistry is off the charts. There are scenes when I'm like y'all fuckin' in real life, yo

Holly (the ex before the last ex). lordy, women like her are fucn drugs man. the way she played hard to get, then got Tommy into that brawl at the bar, then stealing from Tash at the diner. No wonder Tommy prostrate at the alter of her ass.

Nomar, what a fucn scumbag. glad he finally got murked. that last series of scenes in the season finally was so damn tense.

ohh and lowkey, assassin mujer with the pink shoes, is the finest one on the show

knew 50 was gunna be a shark; and fuck, his son dumb as hell

ohhhh, last thing(s): Angela not being able to groove to Mary J and Tommy not being able to groove to Smokey had me in tears
715934, finished season 2. not interested in going further (spoilers)
Posted by astralblak, Sun Sep-25-16 10:41 PM
i fucn knew Kanan would not be dead. even with being knifed in the kidney with glass and being set on fire. hilarsad and predictable. and god damn they made him kill his son, jesus. that was over the top villain shit.

no way Angela still has her job and no one other than the jilted lover boy / FBI dude knows

Why can't Ghost just live man. dang. dude just wanna make legal doe, even though lowkey he hella turrbl too.

Tasha is actually the most nuanced, well written character on the show. I hate when they have her revert to the "but I want you to be the best drug dealer in the world ONLY" trope, but other than that her motivations and actions are the most well constructed. she really fine too

Tommy, idk man, dude playing him is all over the place. I just don't understand why everyone BUT Ghost wants to stay street side. it's such a turrbl stereotype. I also don't believe at where his was Ghost doesn't kill Holly outright

Lobo still a hilarious: best screen time character. It was unbelievable the way he got knifed in his cell though
715933, dumb finale ***spoilers***
Posted by Ray_Snill, Sun Sep-25-16 10:19 PM
when Ghost broke into Greg's apartment he was wearing gloves. the gloves are on as he's looking through the evidence then Angela comes in. He hides. then he leaves, and drops the stick he used to jimmy the lock, gloves still on. so how Angela get a pristine fingerprint lol

715939, he took them off. I can't pinpoint exactly when but i remember him gloveless
Posted by CherNic, Mon Sep-26-16 05:46 AM
Im kinda over this show. They'll probably get one more season out if me before I completely give up. Last night should have felt bigger to me and it was just "meh"
715962, RE: dumb finale ***spoilers***
Posted by thegodcam, Mon Sep-26-16 08:38 PM
also made no sense for a federal prosecutor to physically arrest anyone... shit, who the fuck is she to act like she's some kind of investigator and get prints off a window... love the show but that storyline is dumb as fuck
715972, he took them off to pick up the tool then touched the window...
Posted by gumz, Tue Sep-27-16 11:05 AM
when he dropped it. It was actually believable the way they did it. It also wasn't overly dramatic but you could tell at the time it was going to lead to something.

the show does a lot of dumb things, i didn't think this was one of them. I also didn't mind how Milan died although it seemed way too easy to kill him. I guess he had to go at some point.

I hated the tease to Tommy pressing Ghost to sell drugs in his clubs...so stupid. Why can't they just be friends at this point?

The Kanan story being the focus next season will be cool.
715973, I cant watch anything on the Starz network anymore
Posted by Heinz, Tue Sep-27-16 11:39 AM
Shit always look low budget. Only think i liked from them was Party Down.

Also Power is basically as ridiculous as Sons Of Anarchy was. Cool premise. Gets more ridiculous with each episode and season.

But i get some of yall are invested. Its a black show and you watched too many episodes u need to see how it ended. I was the same with SOA and Californication.
715975, yeah, this show isn't that good
Posted by makaveli, Tue Sep-27-16 12:06 PM
tommy is an idiot, and too much stupid, unbelievable stuff happens. I wasn't into this season at all.
715978, Its going to stay on because it has a loyal legion of viewers
Posted by Castro, Tue Sep-27-16 01:41 PM
most of whom feel its better than Empire.

FTR, I watch neither.
722999, Season 4 - Episode 1
Posted by Flash80, Sun Jun-25-17 10:17 PM
FLAMES for a curtain-jerker to the season.

- tommy's growing up...finally. and looks like he's holding it down as a proxy for the patriarch.

- dre giving hints of a double-agent. can't protect tariq and lie to tommy at the same time about kanan, son.

- tasha appreciation. what else can she do?

- asians (c) clooney in up in the air.
723008, Has it been lost on the writers that Tasha asked for this mess?
Posted by Jon, Mon Jun-26-17 09:52 AM
Forever I've seen the show try to make us feel bad for her, yet I never see any reference to the fact that it was her that put u a huge stink when Ghost wanted to clean up his act and it was Tasha (along with Tommy, whose reasons we're at least more understandable) who refused to let him leave the crime life.

Ghost finds a chick who actually believes in his good side, his wife is pissed he's thinking of shedding his demons (because she gets off on that shit) and now that the chickens come home to roost, she's supposedly the victim.

No mention of "this is what you asked for" to be found in the show, unless I missed it.
723300, I'm glad someone else sees this
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Thu Jul-13-17 12:04 PM
723341, Thank you! Lol
Posted by Jon, Sun Jul-16-17 05:53 AM
723024, spoiler alert!!!!!
Posted by TR808, Mon Jun-26-17 03:45 PM
Dre will be dead by the end of the season but... duh!!! we all know that right...?

723253, Proctor's good
Posted by Flash80, Mon Jul-10-17 10:05 AM
he's really, really good.

nice curveball in court.

tariq needs his little ass whooped.
723373, Love the show but the treatment of the surveillance footage in
Posted by Teknontheou, Mon Jul-17-17 08:30 AM
Ghost's office has been mishandled.

It should have occurred to Ghost immediately to have Turtle check that footage to prove that Ghost didn't go near the bar the night Greg was murdered. That was the very first thing I was practically screaming at the TV after Sandoval planted the gun. Plus, the cops should have thought to cross-check the footage just for the sake of bolstering their case against Ghost. I guess the writers wanted to have Ghost agonizing in the lock-up for 5 or 6 episodes so they had to have him suddenly become dumb.
723390, CoSign
Posted by KnowOne, Mon Jul-17-17 12:50 PM
nm
723392, lol no
Posted by Heinz, Mon Jul-17-17 01:31 PM
724128, Angela is cold as fuck
Posted by thegodcam, Sun Aug-13-17 07:44 PM
724140, and it turns out tariq ain't about that life. lol
Posted by Flash80, Mon Aug-14-17 11:01 AM
*spoilers*

peace to sandoval. david fumero was excellent. thought they were gonna wait until the season finale, if anything, to kill him off.

so you think angela dad co-ordered the hit too... or just tommy/his old man?
724365, RIP Raina.... this nigga tariq..SMH
Posted by LAbeathustla, Tue Aug-22-17 01:03 AM
738823, Can't stand the kid. He's AJ Soprano with slightly more balls
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-27-20 01:54 AM
738821, As usual, I'm several years too late. But is fantastic.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue May-26-20 11:33 PM
Yeah, it has it's flaws, but by and large it's great.

I'm 6 episodes into season 5.

And I'm mad that this, on OKP, only has one post for the entire thing.