Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCosign on all of this...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=700243&mesg_id=727283
727283, Cosign on all of this...
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Jan-16-18 10:05 AM
>With this one, I'm just like okay, sure. I'm not too thrilled
>about the cast apart from Donald Glover, very lukewarm about
>Ron Howard in the director's chair...and in general, I'm not
>terribly interested in Han Solo's backstory.

There just really isn't much that I'm excited about for this one at all, based on the story content, the director, and the cast. To Heinz's point, I felt the same way about Rogue One at first. However the big difference was the fact that the first trailer dropped 9 months or so before it came out, and that trailer got me hype. In the following months with all the news about big reshoots I was worried, but the next trailer that dropped in the fall had me hype as heck again. It definitely felt like a big event. Then the movie dropped, I loved it, and all was good in the world.

With Solo though a major difference is the fact that we are so close to it's release with no trailer, so really all we have to go on is the subject of the story, the director, and the cast, all of which are "meh" to me, then on top of that a director change and even more massive reshoots than Rogue One.

A small thing that adds to it is the fact that this is dropping in May and not December. While May used to be the traditional spot for Star Wars, after the last three years Star Wars has become a holiday tradition. A May release will have way more competition for people's attention, and just doesn't feel like as much of a special thing as the December SW releases. With all of the reshoots that happened, and the close release after TLJ stopping them from promoting Solo with a regular timeline, I'm not sure why they didn't just move Solo to December.

All this being said - if the trailer drops and is really good - then I'll get hype and maybe at that point it will feel like a "big event." We'll see...