Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI have a question for someone who reads a lot of Noir?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699652&mesg_id=701602
701602, I have a question for someone who reads a lot of Noir?
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Aug-10-15 08:59 AM
I feel like sooo much of this Season I've seen in other places (namely LA COnfidential) and I was wondering if Nic Pizzolatto ripped off a few major works LA Confidential, Chinatown, Miller's Crossing) OR if there are some themes so common in Noir works that you are bound to see them alot.

I mean some stuff is very generic and I am sure are common themes: Reopening a case that everyone thought was solved (LA COnfidential). Pulling off the heist and having a clean getaway available but blowing in by going back to do one last thing (Heat)

But some stuff I thought very specific to other films and books Party's with High End Hookers and Plastic Surgery (LA COnfidential), buying up land that will eventually become vaulable (Chinatown).

Folks who know Noir, is Pizzolatto a hack ripping off the genre or paying homage to classic themes and materials?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're