Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe writing this season was very poor, for sure
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699652&mesg_id=701585
701585, The writing this season was very poor, for sure
Posted by khn, Mon Aug-10-15 03:27 AM
The talent was slightly weaker than S1, but even still I think the headlining trio more or less acquitted themselves OK given what they had to work with, Ferrell being the obvious standout. But that's the thing - the writing was MUCH worse. This season ultimately follows three (no, actually four - forgot about Woodrugh there) banally self-destructive characters along the ride as they circle the drain. Which is fine if you care about the characters, or are generally compelled by anything going on in the story. If something like that was there, it was buried beneath Pizzalotto's various indulgences - the overwrought nihilism (which definitely wore on me as S1 progressed as well), the convolution, and certainly that insipid-ass conclusion I just watched. As soon as Frank and Ray parted ways, did anyone not know what was coming? Even if everything that followed was well done it still probably would have been disappointing, but moments like getting off the highway, looking up the tree, visions in the desert... laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

But that moment with Ray and his kid was nice though.