Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm digging the show a lot actually.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699652&mesg_id=700743
700743, I'm digging the show a lot actually.
Posted by wallysmith, Tue Jul-21-15 10:15 AM
I actually feel that the potential ceiling is higher than in Season 1 just because of the multitude of ways this whole thing can end.

S1's focused narrative is basically about buddy cops that go after the serial killer. We knew this 4 or 5 episodes in, and that's what we got.

S2 has so many more potential threads with the sex trafficking, the paternal issues, the corruption, Panticapaeum, etc. It's a personal theory, but I feel that NP is guiding this season to be almost the complete opposite of S1 and I think the ending is going to reflect that.

Part of the reason I think so many people have issues with S2 is because it's difficult to root for any of the main characters. Rust and Marty had flaws but both were eminently relatable in their own ways. Rust was harsh but unfailingly logical and Marty was the everyman with "a big ass dick".

Whereas all four of S2's main voices have despicable character flaws: Ani's holier-than-thou attitude, Velcoro's corruption and rage, Woodrugh's repressed sexuality and Frank's contrived facade. We're not SUPPOSED to relate with these characters (part of my theory on NP's thrust for this season). I suspect that will start to change in the second half of the season as we explore potential redemption arcs for them... although I suspect, not for all of them.

Remains to be seen if I'm correct, but if you're trying to apply the prism you created from Season 1 to this season, then you're doing it wrong.