Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm really trying to like this season
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699652&mesg_id=700437
700437, I'm really trying to like this season
Posted by rjc27, Mon Jul-13-15 01:31 PM
And I see a large faction of people coming out with the "you must be an idiot if you aren't liking this season" mentality... on the other side, you have the the usual haters... but ultimately, I just don't find myself giving a flying fuck about any of the characters at all, or where they end up, or if they solve the case...

Last year, not only was I invested in Rust and Marty, I badly wanted to see the real bad guys get caught. Last year the villain was kidnapping and torturing little girls. This year the villain is killing corrupt assholes. I don't even really care if the case gets solved from that standpoint. I wanted Rust and Marty to catch the true bad guy and win on a personal level, get some sort of happy ending. I really don't care about any of the cops in this one, or Frank Semien having a kid or not.

Last night when they went to catch the fall guy, I was hoping they'd catch him alive for an interrogation. Last season, some of the best scenes were the interrogations where the criminals would give us these little crazy clues, was really hoping for that last night. Instead, we get the Ledo guy taken out, KNOWING he was 100% made to take the fall, they didn't give us any real intrigue at all.

Last year, we got to see Marty and Rust interviewing the weirdest people, this year those kind of weird clues are given with Ani and her Father, and I just don't really care about how they all connect.

I'll still watch, and I think the actors are doing a fine job, but it just has not connected with me at all unfortunately. And I did not enter this season wanting to compare the two seasons, but it's hard not to. My fear going in was a lot of the intrigue of last season was almost just dumb luck in a sense that we got so caught up in some of the clue's that didnt even end up meaning anything (the little girls drawing, the convo with Marty and his father in law, the picture with the 5 guys with the hats, etc etc etc) That stuff just kind of organically took over the internet even though NP said all along it was coincidental and not overly important

with all that being said... enough groundwork has been laid to really turn up the final 4 episodes, but I'm not sure it's going to feel like a strong enough pay off