Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecta Samurai, a Cowboy, a Soldier: True Detective Season 2, 1-4
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699652&mesg_id=700404
700404, a Samurai, a Cowboy, a Soldier: True Detective Season 2, 1-4
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun Jul-12-15 10:27 PM
I'd like to think we've now moved out of developing these characters anymore and that moving forward the focus will instead shift towards arriving at a conclusion.

McAdams is a Samurai. She prefers knives to guns and wants to control her physical interactions as close as possible (like S&M). She's a warrior like the other two but violence is a last resort. Keep in mind why she carries the knives in the first place- to defend herself.

Farrel is a cowboy. All he's certain of is that. He even rides a horse - he drives a Mustang. His outlook varies from McAdams in that he understands that sometimes there will be lives lost, but he doesn't enjoy violence. It's a means to an end, but not a cure all.

Kitsch is a soldier. Most comfortable in conflict. Obviously he was most composed during and after the gunfight. He's quickest to pull the trigger, but also most accurate with the gun as well; it's the only solution he understands so he'd better be good at it. Efficiency is everything to this guy - why drive a car when you can dodge traffic on a motorcycle? That's basically his outlook on everything.

The joke being told here is that the more advanced the warrior gets, the less intelligent he/she gets as well. Kitsch says he did everything he was asked to do by both his leaders in military and police- the only father figures he's ever had. He killed women and children in Afghanistan. Farrel's the middle ground - he knows he SHOULD be a dad at least, he just sucks at it. And McAdams was smart enough to realize if your dad is a nutbar you can just leave.

Still, for as tedious as this has been at times, I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt on the notion that fleshing out four characters (including Vaughn) just feels like it takes more time. This was ths first episode that satisfied, and I finally came away with a clear cut idea of who everyone is. Here's hoping they can ride this momentum down the second half.