Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectfully on board after episode 2
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=699652&mesg_id=699899
699899, fully on board after episode 2
Posted by mashpg89, Mon Jun-29-15 09:31 AM
The premiere didn't do a lot for me but last night's episode was much better. We're getting into some weird, cult shit like Bohemian Grove and the Jonestown massacre, which should be even more mysterious and engaging than the first season's cult references.

Just want to make sure I've understood everything right:

Paul, the state policeman, is supposed to find out info on the corruption in Vinci, which will get him out of the blowjob accusation and them looking at his past.

Ani, the county sheriff, is supposed to do the same and keep an eye on/try to flip Ray. She's in charge of the investigation.

Ray, the crooked Vinci detective, is supposed to steer those two away from Vinci corruption. His alcoholic partner is presumably there as another body, who naturally holds back the investigation.

Frank is trying to go straight and paid $5 mil to Caspere, contingent on $5 mil from the Russian, to invest with Catalyst and be part of this huge development deal. Frank thinks Caspere's murderer is making a move on the deal and has his money. Not sure who he had beat up, was that just some small time guy Frank was trying to shake down?

Don't think Ray is dead. It's too early and risky in the season to kill off a major character. People want to compare it to GoT but Ned Stark didn't get it until 3/4 of the season was finished. Probably bean bag bullets or something that's not fatal. I bet he wakes up the next day in the empty house, which was scrubbed of evidence. He struggles to understand why he's still alive, but dedicates himself to the case and finds redemption in the end.

Paul might be the most messed up of the 4. It was pretty clear that he was molested by his mother and has some repressed(?) gay stuff going on too. Not to mention all that Black Mountain Security talk that he's still traumatized by. He's going to ride like thunder & crash like lightning.

Wonder if Ani's mother died in the Jonestown Massacre. I liked the Ani & Velcoro scenes where they're feeling each other out, they have good chemistry. Excited to see Ani use her knives.

I would say Farrell has had the best performance so far, he's the most believable. McAdams is 2nd best, and sadly I have to give Kitsch #3. I like Vince Vaughn a lot and was excited to see him play a dramatic character, but after two episodes I just can't see him as the big bad organized crime boss who is finally trying to go straight. Maybe when his character gets more fleshed out I'll see it more.

Good episode though, it was more in line with what made Season 1 unique. Justin Lin's work is finished now, right? Despite my worries he did a decent job, let's see what others can do with the material.