Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectComedians in Cars
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=698869
698869, Comedians in Cars
Posted by boyd, Thu Jun-04-15 08:04 AM

what a pleasant surprise this morning to see JLD on it

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/julia-louis-dreyfus-julia-louis-dreyfus-i-ll-go-if-i-don-t-have-to-talk
698897, The Crackle app on Roku
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jun-04-15 01:17 PM
had the promo clip for this batch of episodes available last week from what I can tell. The guests for this batch of episodes including Julia Louis-Dreyfus are Steven Colbert (with the unshaved grey beard), Bill Mahr, Jim Carrey, Trevor Noah, and Steve Harvey from what I can remember.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus had good memory to recall the little tidbits from the Seinfeld days, which is impressive since she's been on successful shows since those Seinfeld days.
698936, Jerry needs a talk show
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Jun-05-15 12:27 AM
no monologue, no sketches, no commercials, 1 guest for 30 minutes, and they cant be promoting anything.

No network would ever pick up a show like that. Nor would he ever do a show like that. But it would be gold.
698937, You are nuts
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Jun-05-15 12:43 AM
>No network would ever pick up a show like that.

A network would eat that shit up like cake. A network would literally back a Brinks truck up to Jerry's feet for ANYthing he would want to do with them. Fuck, they greenlit the MARRIAGE REF on his involvement and that show was hot garbage.
698939, maybe HBO or Showtime
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Jun-05-15 01:33 AM
I doubt he would want to do it. He mentions how bored he gets with shit now. So if he could do 1 show a week or something. But the web show is like being a fly on the wall of a normal breakfast/lunch with friends. Everything is so natural and entertaining and pointless. If you have ever seen Conan's Serious Jibber Jabber on his website. Something like that would just be so awesome. Conan doesnt do nearly enough of them. But Jerry would pull it off even better.
699054, this kind of is that though, right?
Posted by jrocc, Mon Jun-08-15 09:34 AM
CICGC is basically what you described.
699118, yeah pretty much...only it's shorter
Posted by gumz, Mon Jun-08-15 08:44 PM
why does this need to be on tv?
698940, Their chemistry is off the charts
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Fri Jun-05-15 03:04 AM
I loved watching them together.
699122, I still have a crush on her.
Posted by Options, Mon Jun-08-15 10:09 PM
been meaning to check more episodes of this. thanx for the reminder.
699542, me too
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Jun-17-15 08:21 PM
nm
699463, CICGC is awesome
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jun-15-15 10:57 PM
I think the Leno one may be one of my absolute favorites, because you see him as a real car guy, a real comedian (not the hack that ran late night for decades) and a real friend to Jerry. It's really kind of amazing

One thing also worth noting is how many of the older comedians love and respect Pryor. Good stuff
699555, Chappelle would be an awesome guest
Posted by sevencents, Thu Jun-18-15 07:42 AM
love this series....always wish each episode could be at least twice the length.

699563, Yeah i wanna see Chapelle and Russel Peters
Posted by Heinz, Thu Jun-18-15 11:49 AM

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z
699565, I'd like to see the man in my avatar as a guest
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jun-18-15 12:03 PM
Mainly because Rogan is a great host in his own right for his podcast and he's into cars as well, so it would be interesting to see if they'd share that bond. And they also seem to be different types of individuals as a whole, so I'd wonder how the chemistry would work out. I wonder if Seinfeld is a fan of Rogan as a stand-up act. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of his act based from what I've seen.
699561, Jim Carrey was perfect for this show
Posted by mashpg89, Thu Jun-18-15 11:17 AM
http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/jim-carrey-jim-carrey-we-love-breathing-what-youre-burning-baby

He comes across as really happy and down to earth while still being naturally hilarious. A lot of comedians aren't as funny offstage but Carrey sees everything as material. If I could have coffee with one comedian from this show it would probably be him. I liked his paintings a lot too.

I agree with others that this show should be longer. A lot of the dialogues seem forced simply because they're edited so much to find jokes and interesting quotes. I'd love to see an unedited episode.

699566, RE: Jim Carrey was perfect for this show
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jun-18-15 12:08 PM
>http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/jim-carrey-jim-carrey-we-love-breathing-what-youre-burning-baby
>
>He comes across as really happy and down to earth while still
>being naturally hilarious. A lot of comedians aren't as funny
>offstage but Carrey sees everything as material. If I could
>have coffee with one comedian from this show it would probably
>be him. I liked his paintings a lot too.

It bothers me when comedians feel the need to be 'on' in regular social settings, and it seemed like Carrey was in spurts for the show, if that makes sense. Climbing over his gate and the stuff with the stevia in his tea are examples of what I'm talking about. I guess that's how he is naturally, but it just bothered me. Showing Jerry and the audience his paintings was very cool though, since he didn't have to do that at all. I wonder what the role he's fast for is. Sounds like it might be similar to the Brother From Another Planet since he said it involves him not speaking.
699569, some entertainers really are like that in real life though
Posted by colonelk, Thu Jun-18-15 12:25 PM
Whether it's some kind of personality disorder or an intense need to please.

699576, RE: some entertainers really are like that in real life though
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jun-18-15 01:32 PM
>Whether it's some kind of personality disorder or an intense
>need to please.

I hear you, and the show does have multiple cameras involved, so there is a loss of a complete natural environment in that regard, but it still bothers me because it felt like he was performing rather than having natural one-on-one conversation.

But to add to your point, I think it was during an episode a A Dinner For Five where a guest said they went over to Chevy Chase's or some other actor's house and the three main from the Three Amigos were there and all three actors were 'on' for the duration of the event. Something like that sounds extremely grating to be around since there's no stage involved.
699594, I agree that...
Posted by Options, Thu Jun-18-15 08:44 PM
at certain points he seemed to be hamming it up, but for the most part, I was surprised at how—for lack of a better term—"deep" he appeared to be. maybe it was a result of the cleanse he mentioned, but he seemed to have an almost spiritual kind of vibe with the stuff he was talking about, even with the paintings. Jerry might'a been taken aback too. it was very cool, especially since I could totally picture him being the kind of performer who can't turn it "off."
699601, i hear ya, but Carrey didn't come across that way to me
Posted by mashpg89, Fri Jun-19-15 09:21 AM
In the episode, Carrey was funny without annoyingly trying to be the center of attention. I see your point on the fence bit, but everything else from the backing up while hearing a truck back up, trying on that sweater he found on the ground, to the stevia longshot, seemed like things he would have done without any cameras there.

I stopped acting in high school because I was sick of being around theater kids who were "on" all the damn time. Carrey seemed more down to earth and interested in having a meaningful conversation with Seinfeld. He just also has a knack for seeing jokes where others don't, without seeming try-hard.
699613, watching the Steve Harvey episode makes me agree with you:
Posted by wrecknoble, Fri Jun-19-15 08:52 PM
"He just also has a knack for seeing jokes where others don't, without seeming try-hard."

^ that's right on the money with what Steve talks about in his episode, which was also a great one.

I really love this series, and I do hope he does one with Chappelle in the future.
699664, or the candid moment w/an admiring a female fan at the end.
Posted by DunDaDa, Sun Jun-21-15 10:45 PM
>In the episode, Carrey was funny without annoyingly trying to
>be the center of attention. I see your point on the fence bit,
>but everything else from the backing up while hearing a truck
>back up, trying on that sweater he found on the ground, to the
>stevia longshot, seemed like things he would have done without
>any cameras there.
699634, I just watched this ep
Posted by nipsey, Sat Jun-20-15 01:47 PM
He was doing too much. It really got old.

>It bothers me when comedians feel the need to be 'on' in
>regular social settings, and it seemed like Carrey was in
>spurts for the show, if that makes sense. Climbing over his
>gate and the stuff with the stevia in his tea are examples of
>what I'm talking about. I guess that's how he is naturally,
>but it just bothered me. Showing Jerry and the audience his
>paintings was very cool though, since he didn't have to do
>that at all. I wonder what the role he's fast for is. Sounds
>like it might be similar to the Brother From Another Planet
>since he said it involves him not speaking.
>
699728, The fast may not be for a role
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jun-22-15 05:45 PM
I think he does stuff like that regularly, I remember him telling a story about being out in the Mojave for days on some spiritual awakening fast type thing
699705, Bill Maher next
Posted by Heinz, Mon Jun-22-15 01:34 PM

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z
699718, I really hate him. I wonder if this show can make him likable.
Posted by RobOne4, Mon Jun-22-15 03:54 PM
699729, I think he's the most interesting commentator out there.
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jun-22-15 07:43 PM
Even when I don't agree with him, which is regularly.

I think he's a smug dick. But I respect him a lot. And I respect his show as being one place where you can hear multiple voices that aren't plants.

699737, I cant get past his arrogance to enjoy his show.
Posted by RobOne4, Mon Jun-22-15 11:27 PM
699739, RE: I think he's the most interesting commentator out there.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Jun-23-15 07:56 AM
>Even when I don't agree with him, which is regularly.
>
>I think he's a smug dick. But I respect him a lot. And I
>respect his show as being one place where you can hear
>multiple voices that aren't plants.
>
>

Everytime I want to watch his show, I turn the channel each and everytime he gets an applause break when he makes a point. Way too self-congratulatory for my liking.