Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI for one welcome our new Rock overlord
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=698551
698551, I for one welcome our new Rock overlord
Posted by IceburgSmurf, Sun May-31-15 05:11 AM
I was sure his run of box office success was more to do with shrewd attachment to already successful franchises. But when im wrong i say im wrong especially when someone does what i consider to be the toughest challenge in cinema: making a smash by helming a disaster movie.

We have to consider him elite Im talking Cruise, Smith, echelon.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/san-andreas-aloha-weekend-box-office-1201434366/
698557, Movie looks so bad
Posted by go mack, Sun May-31-15 11:07 AM
but not surprised it will be big

2012, Day After Tomorrow, Volcano shits been done so many times but people like their explosions.
698642, Might just be because I'm from SoCal...
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Jun-01-15 09:52 AM
but with or without Rocky I (and many others near me) have been wanting to see San Andreas just because it hits so close to home. For years there's been chatter about how long it's been since a major quake in SoCal and everyone expects another "big one" any day now.

Unlike some other apocalyptic movies, a big ass earthquake is a much more tangible reality than other disaster movies.

With that said, The Rock is obviously a major draw as well
698558, Dude's actually a legit star, and has been the best thing about a lot of
Posted by kayru99, Sun May-31-15 12:00 PM
the movies he's been in.

I'm surprised its taken this long for dude to really really blow, honestly.
698562, This ^^^
Posted by nipsey, Sun May-31-15 12:48 PM
698563, As an attitude era wrestling fan I've always like him
Posted by IceburgSmurf, Sun May-31-15 01:05 PM
but i just didn't believe he had enough, charisma's the wrong word, acting chops and personality to be in the Will Smith/Cruuser level.

Pleased for the guy and that HBO show looks like fun, the era of the rock continues.
698571, him in The Other Guys and Get smart
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sun May-31-15 07:15 PM
really made me like him even more

dude stole almost every scene he was in
698623, Be Cool
Posted by Castro, Mon Jun-01-15 03:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_wISNYnLEY
698624, man, check out pain and gain.
Posted by kayru99, Mon Jun-01-15 06:10 AM
he kind of low-key carries a true, yet completely over the top, movie.
698626, "Pepe?? It's Eldad..."
Posted by b.Touch, Mon Jun-01-15 06:43 AM
698636, He's the best thing about Pain and Gain
Posted by tully_blanchard, Mon Jun-01-15 08:54 AM

We covered by the Blood which never loose it's power

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr
698743, its a tie between him and shaloub
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Tue Jun-02-15 12:24 PM
698751, He did his thing in Faster.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Jun-02-15 03:05 PM
It's a shame that movie bombed because I really liked that movie and that character a lot. Would have been nice to see if a sequel or prequel could have gone down for the character he played.
698752, That was a GREAT movie.
Posted by spades, Tue Jun-02-15 03:23 PM
698570, S! H! A! Z! A! M!
Posted by b.Touch, Sun May-31-15 05:56 PM
698677, YES!
Posted by spades, Mon Jun-01-15 01:34 PM
698684, B! L! A! C! K! A! D! A! M! lol
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jun-01-15 01:55 PM
698734, how many heads will the MPAA let you smash in a PG-13 movie?
Posted by b.Touch, Tue Jun-02-15 10:59 AM
698741, As many as he wants as long as he doesn't say "fuck" or see a boob hahahaha
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Jun-02-15 12:05 PM
I'm still really curious how they pull this off.
698709, Rock is doing a BIG TROUBE IN LITTLE CHINA remake!?! (swipe)
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Jun-01-15 07:35 PM
My feelings are so confused. They shouldn't have him as Jack Burton so they could do a team up with Russell

http://www.thewrap.com/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-to-star-in-big-trouble-in-little-china-remake-exclusive/

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake (Exclusive)
Movies | By Jeff Sneider on June 1, 2015 @ 2:55 pm Follow @theinsneider
Email Print
The Rock; Kurt Russell in "Big Trouble in Little China" (Getty; Fox)

Getty; Fox

20th Century Fox is excited about a new take from “X-Men: First Class” writers Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is in negotiations to star in and produce a remake of John Carpenter‘s cult classic “Big Trouble in Little China” that will be written by “X-Men: First Class” scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz, multiple individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

A representative for 20th Century Fox did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Johnson is making a deal to play Jack Burton, an all-American trucker who gets dragged into a centuries-old mystical battle in San Francisco’s Chinatown.

Also Read: Dwayne Johnson Has to Monetize Friendships in New 'Ballers' Trailer (Video)

Johnson and his producing partners at Seven Bucks Productions, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia, pitched the remake to rights-owner Fox, which released the original film. “Big Trouble in Little China” is one of Johnson’s favorite movies, and Miller and Stentz have already closed a deal to write the script.

The original 1986 starring Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall only grossed $11 million at the domestic box office, but it is revered as a cult classic and a cable TV staple that fans can’t resist watching from when it airs.

Also Read: 5 Times 'San Andreas' Made California's Chief Earthquake Scientist Laugh Out Loud

Johnson is coming off an earth-shaking $54 million domestic opening weekend for “San Andreas,” which was also set in San Francisco. The film topped both the domestic and international box office and cemented Johnson’s place as America’s premiere action star.

Johnson will soon be seen on HBO’s new original series “Ballers,” which debuts later this month, and is also set to star in Warner Bros.’ comic book movie “Shazam.” Johnson is also lending his voice to Disney’s animated movie “Moana.” He’s represented by WME and Gang, Tyre, Ramer and Brown.

Miller and Stentz wrote the screenplay for Marvel’s “Thor” and they’re currently writing Warner Bros.’ upcoming “Acme” movie that will star Steve Carell. They’re repped by WME and Principato-Young Entertainment.
698716, this shit gonna be dope. The Rock in The Other Guys turned up to 11
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jun-01-15 09:26 PM
698750, So he has his own production company. Interesting.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Jun-02-15 03:02 PM
So he's going to get even cakier than he was last year, at least potentially.
698756, Can I get a sequel to Rundown, tho?
Posted by spades, Tue Jun-02-15 03:42 PM