Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectDistasteful, pretentious yet almost amateurish, awful
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697555&mesg_id=705368
705368, Distasteful, pretentious yet almost amateurish, awful
Posted by SoulHonky, Sat Dec-05-15 02:49 AM
I know, I know. I'll be in the minority on this one but I thought this movie was terrible.

The director of Funny Games said he made the film to be a test; if you could keep watching, something was wrong with you.

I feel like Hateful Eight is the same thing. If it was designed to make a statement on everything wrong with America, it does a good job. But instead, it's just a pretentious silly dark comedy b-movie that really is pretty much everything wrong with America.

It's almost like Tarantino was trolling people.
Think he's pretentious? Here's a long overture at the beginning of a three hour film.
Don't like his use on the N-word? I think every tenth word is an n-bomb.
Don't like when he appears in his films? Well, he'll pop up as the narrator for a second.
Don't like the b-movie, over-the-top violence for laughs and hammily delivered lines? Well, that's basically all we've got to offer!

Sam Jackson and Jennifer Jason Leigh carry the film. I thought Kurt Russell was tough to watch and Demian Bechir was a painfully stereotypical Mexican character which really made me wonder why the hell he took the role. A good amount of the laughs were from people delivering their lines in a ham-fisted way.

The first half is pretty damn boring but it ends strong. The second half starts with what I hoped would be the beginning of a burst of creativity but then, no, it just devolves into b-movie violence and more n-bombs with Sam Jackson yelling something funny now and then.

The score was great although a Jack White song appears midway through Act 1 which felt out of place.

Tarantino said that westerns always reflect the time they're made in but I really don't believe that he gets just how his film actually reflects contemporary times. The fact that he thinks the movie talks about institutional racism in some way is mind boggling.

But yeah, if you like the n-word, over-the-top violence for giggles, and wasting three hours of your life, The Hateful Eight's for you.