Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMe and Earl and the Dying Girl (my nigga Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2015)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697150
697150, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (my nigga Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2015)
Posted by bwood, Mon May-04-15 12:20 PM
Yo when this shit was announced last year I was hyped. Two film niggas befriend a girl with cancer and turn her out into film geek too. And then to hear this shit was the Sundance darling made me happy.

I'm seeing this Wednesday night. I'm not linking the trailer and I haven't seen it. I just hope my nigga Alfonso brought his A game cause his visuals always blow me away.
697200, I'm in
Posted by lfresh, Mon May-04-15 11:14 PM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
697403, This might get a bunch of nominations this Awards Season.
Posted by bwood, Thu May-07-15 10:18 PM
NNNNNNIIIIIIIIGGGGGGAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish more movies were like this. Real characters going through life doing real shit without the film being emotional manipulative or cloying. This has an all star cast and everyone brings there A game.

My nigga Alfonso brought his unique visual style here as well. Every frame in this film could be taken and put in an art museum. If this is a hit which I think it will be, the world is gonna be his oyster. Seriously.

If you get sick of watching shit blow up this summer then go peep this when it drops in June 12 and expands throughout the month. This is top notch shit right here.
697404, Also, Earl is the realest nigga I've seen in a movie in a while.
Posted by bwood, Thu May-07-15 10:20 PM
Not only did he have the best lines, but the kid who plays him makes his understated. He steals this movie and I hope the character gets a spin-off.
697405, that trailer DOES NOT do anything for me
Posted by astralblak, Thu May-07-15 10:33 PM
but I will watch it
698412, Saw it again with a Q&A this time.
Posted by bwood, Thu May-28-15 09:15 AM
Yo! Nick Offerman lost mad weight b. And Jesse Andrews is hilarious as well. Dude seems to have ADD.
699316, Cliche riddled, stylistically obnoxious. A "Sundance movie."
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Jun-14-15 08:45 PM
With all the negative connotations that label in quotes brings. Constant cuts and obnoxious camera angle switches take away from the story, and when you combine that with the cliches and manipulation... look, I can take cliche and manipulation just fine (I dug A Fault In Our Stars), but the stylistic obnoxiousness reeeeeeally pushes it over the edge.

On top of that, it's a classic "white kid learns how to live from poor oversexed fight-ready drug-savvy black guy, endlessly patient and giving and pixie-ish cancer girl, and name actors as teachers/parents who act like themselves and dole out wisdom and the occasional laugh" story. We've seen these elements a ton, and while the acting is fine (mostly from Earl and the dying girl, as Thomas Mann is fairly charisma-less), the story's self-awareness doesn't make up for the fact that the characters don't ever really transcend their foundation in cliche. Movies like this rely on the characters really breathing, and the movie doesn't give us enough time fleshing out Earl or the dying girl-- we just get the occasional factoids our main character spouts. Any amount of appeal they generate is rooted in the performers doing good work.

Sorry, bwood. Definitely not for me, and objectively I really struggle to see this generating any sort of awards buzz outside of maybe the Spirits. It'll be divided heavily between the people who buy in to what it's selling and the people who violently reject it. My gut reaction puts me closer to the latter camp.
699325, damn, i usually like your reviews and opinion
Posted by josephmurf2384, Sun Jun-14-15 10:40 PM
but i am hoping you are wrong on this. Didn't get a chance to see it this weekend, but will give it a shot next weekend.
699329, I'd still check it out. Those who love it seem to really love it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-15-15 12:20 AM
And I'm sure multiple people will come into this post and tell you that my opinion is objectively wrong, lol.

Just know that there's a chance you'll end up on my side of the fence.
699321, The title reminds me that I never saw
Posted by JFrost1117, Sun Jun-14-15 09:44 PM
The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete.
702850, Loved it
Posted by Nappy Soul, Tue Sep-22-15 12:16 PM
It's a sweet flick with a lot of heart. It's presented as a comedy but has part of the movie play out as a drama where characters feel real. Yes there is manipulation but storytelling is always manipulated to guide the narrative. The style fits with the teenage angst of the characters hobbies. I really enjoyed it. Made me feel a lot of different emotions ,it was funny and witsy and above all it stuck to what it wanted to say without too much bullshit on the side. Within that universe Earl and the history teacher would have been fun to explore.

PS : Even my girl who like more "Conventional comedies ( Ted , Kathryn Heigl, Kevin Hart, Mellisa McCartrhy) dug it.
702889, first movie in a while that made me ... somebody cut onions
Posted by Ray_Snill, Wed Sep-23-15 03:58 PM

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif
702909, two motherfuckin' thumbs up!
Posted by boyd, Thu Sep-24-15 11:15 AM