Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectFlawed but pretty enjoyable.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697087&mesg_id=714690
714690, Flawed but pretty enjoyable.
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Aug-08-16 07:14 AM
I've been a fan of the Suicide Squad comic book for a little while, especially the original John Ostrander run on the book which is phenomenal. I can't believe a movie based on these characters has been made. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were awesomely portrayed, and even getting to see Amanda Waller and Captain Boomerang (what??) on the big screen was pretty cool.

Was it flawed? Very much so. The editor job at Warner's DC division needs to be fired immediately, and have some more balls when standing up to the brass. The Ultimate Edition of BvS was much better than the theatrical version, I suspect this 'Ultimate Edition', if it ever gets released, would be pretty amazing. I wanted more Joker (Leto was good but what little we saw was NOT enough), thought Enchantress was weak (but not as bad as I'm reading here... poor Delevingne did what she could), and would have liked more background on others besides Deadshot and Harley (who we actually got a brief glimpse of in her comic book/TV show costume!). I also keep in mind how little we learned of most of the X-Men characters in all of their movies (save Wolverine), and those movie always fared better with critics and audiences, so the hate here is a little strange.

While it was easy to say "why have this team put together to fight a couple of witches when Flash or Wonder Woman could have fought her themselves", the very first comic book mission these characters came together for was to fight a skyscraper sized demon from Apokolips. Read Legends #3 for the first appearance of the Suicide Squad to see how the team was originally portrayed, and for them to go head-to-head with a gigantic fire monster.

I liked it, despite its problems, and hope we'll get to see the movie that could have been.

Trust me, I'm just pretty surprised that I liked the movie at all with the hate DC has been given, seeing as how I'm a Marvel fanboy first and foremost.