Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI think it's the most boring Joker choice possible in 2016.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=697087&mesg_id=714664
714664, I think it's the most boring Joker choice possible in 2016.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Aug-07-16 11:15 AM
We've seen it a billion times with a billion non-Joker gangsters.

The only reason it's even remotely interesting here is because you know he's the Joker, so the whole movie, you're waiting for him to do something outside of your expectations, to surprise you... and he never does. If his name was Carmine Fratelli and was just some mean mob boss, it'd be a shrug.

The cinematography also doesn't help. You go back to Burton and Nolan's Jokers, and they're shot iconically throughout. Here, they just casually cut to him. I know it's not his movie... but there's nothing memorable here. Also doesn't help that his storyline is clearly shoehorned in and doesn't tie in with the rest of the film at all, so any time he pops up, it's a diversion from the plot. The writing doesn't help either, as he's not funny or especially mean or crazy. He's just doing basic bad guy shit, shooting people, kidnapping wives, intimidating lackeys, etc. I understand that they cut a bunch of his shit-- maybe they left the interesting stuff on the cutting room floor.

Like, in a movie with a dozen or so characters, you'd hope the Joker would be in the Top 3. Instead, he's more middle of the pack. Which I just think is a damn shame.