Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's in your tone.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=695811&mesg_id=699441
699441, It's in your tone.
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Jun-15-15 05:00 PM
"Outrage" or outrage, you're clearly bothered at some level by the motivations of these characters that you can't honestly evaluate the show separate from the books.

The thing is, you're not necessarily wrong, but it's affecting your analysis

> I'm saying they've got no reason to stay and rule the city. What do any of them care about it? None of them are from there.

I agree that they individually have no reason to rule the city. But while *some* don't care, it would be fair to say Missandei and Grey Worm are far more invested in Meereen than the other three.

> They're loyal to Dany, not to the idea of ruling Mereen. Finding a way to bring peace to the city was her thing, not theirs. They can still be loyal to Dany and not care what happens to Mereen.

Agreed on all counts. Again, I reiterate: it's the day after. They don't know if Daenerys is coming back, so why not wait to see if she will? Why are you so offended by their attempt to recoup in Meereen until they see how Daenerys' absence plays out?

> Um, take the money, nuke the city, and move on?

And this is where your analysis is so unsound. How exactly are they going to "take the money, nuke the city, and move on"? Jump on Dany's dragons? Sneak out money in their pockets from these supposed coffers (which are probably owned by the disgruntled slave masters)? Call in the Air Force?

Honest question, what feasible way could they "take the money and nuke the city"? And even if they DID go to Westeros, who would care about a disgraced knight, some random sellsword and the shitty Lannister? Is Tyrion supposed to command the Unsullied? Why would Grey Worm care about Westeros if it's not Daenerys leading him? None of these things make sense, book or show.

> LOL, who said anything about the White Walkers? I'm saying from the perspective of characters there's no incentive for them to stick around and rule Mereen in her stead. The goal is Westeros. Not ruling Mereen.

I added that to call you out on your desire to see the show as *you* see fit, not on how it's progressing. Daenerys' goal is Westeros, but you're blanket-applying that to every single character when that isn't relevant to their motivations or situation.

No duh Meereen isn't the endgoal. But ain't shit happening for them in Meereen or Westeros without Daenerys. So no, taking the money and "nuking the city" isn't exactly an option.