Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI disagree that this trope is at play.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=695811&mesg_id=698128
698128, I disagree that this trope is at play.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-20-15 03:54 PM
> a
>woman being raped that leads to her creating agency for
>herself is a trope. having that same rape serve as a way for
>another, totally despicable male character to achieve
>redemption is...i don't know what.

Sansa already has agency. She had agency when she agreed to marry a murderous Bolton in order to get close enough to exact revenge. I'm sure she probably didn't fully imagine the particulars she'd have to endure to do that... but she didn't try to talk back to Ramsey the way she did to Tyrion or even to Joffrey early on. She started undressing and stayed quiet. Some people read that as her being robbed of her agency-- "what choice did she have?"-- but that ignores the series of deliberate choices she made to get there in the first place. She could have sought out help from Winterfellians, or sent a crow to Littlefinger, or tried to find Brienne, or etc. Instead, she endured the dinners, she got dressed, she walked down the aisle, knowing what likely lay in store that night. She knowingly forfeited this "battle" in order to win the war.

It's weird to think of a girl we've watched grow up on screen as intentionally sacrificing her virginity to a murderer in order to plant the seeds for a full-blown revenge... but the whole season has had countless scenes where we've seen Sansa choose time and again her own path, and it was made pretty clear at season's start that she was going home in order to get close to the Boltons to take them down.