Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectFrank's right, you just gloss over our main points.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=695811&mesg_id=698126
698126, Frank's right, you just gloss over our main points.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed May-20-15 03:21 PM
> if having your manhood cut off and being psychologically tortured and forced to live in kennels isn't enough to cause you to "wake up" to your plight, not sure how witnessing a rape is going to do it. having her rape serve as his reason to come full circle is awfully convenient for him.

I explicitly explained Theon's situation in post #387. His torture has always originated from fear of physical pain, directed on himself. Theon has basically been disenfranchised since he became a ward of the Starks. When he tried to return to the Greyjoys, his father basically disowned him and his sister failed in rescuing him.

However, he has fond memories with the Starks, and grew up close with both Robb and Jon. Maybe less so with Sansa and Arya, but they are Starks all the same and treated him with respect.

When Sansa is getting raped, this is the first time Theon experienced emotional pain from someone he *cares* for. This is not pain from getting whipped, or limbs cut off, or from sleeping in kennels. You can't have it both ways by claiming the rape is gratuitous then downplay it when it comes to Theon.

> and sansa certainly doesn't need a final straw to be broken.

How are you so sure? Do you know what happens next? You completely ignored my entire point how even when she's been beaten, she's been protected. This is the first time that is not the case, and this is also the first time she's been brutalized *physically*. That is the crux of my whole argument.

> there was no reason to make her rape about theon at all

I said that scene was just as much about Theon as it was about Sansa. Like Frank said, it's about all the characters in that room, not just Sansa, not just Theon.

> i'm not trying to ban rape from tv, but i think the writers can do much better. i was more disappointed that they went that route than angry. she has so many more reasons to make a play during the upcoming battle at winterfell than being raped by ramsey bolton.

None of this addresses the fact it was her wedding night. Again, what, realistically, did you expect to happen in a wedding between Ramsay Bolton and Sansa Stark?