Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecti read your whole post and agree with a lot of what you have to
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=695811&mesg_id=698124
698124, i read your whole post and agree with a lot of what you have to
Posted by pdafunk, Wed May-20-15 02:51 PM
say about how they portray women and rape on the show in general. so yeah, i was being glib. but you ended with how the rape could serve as a trigger for theon, and others mention it as well, and to me that almost seems worse. a woman being raped that leads to her creating agency for herself is a trope. having that same rape serve as a way for another, totally despicable male character to achieve redemption is...i don't know what.

it's a bit knee jerk, as we have yet to see how the season plays out. but i'm not optimistic about it.

to me, theon's only chance at redemption would have been right then, right there. so for this act to have an impact on his character (that would ring true to me, at least) it would be to show truly how far gone he is. that he is truly irredeemable. if they use this as his "breaking point" and now he's team sansa i think would be very lazy.

the only way i see this working out is sansa putting them both to death under brienne's sword. i want theon to play absolutely no role in reclaiming winterfell, because he doesn't deserve that simply by watching sansa get raped.