Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's true, I'm a book reader.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=695811&mesg_id=696211
696211, It's true, I'm a book reader.
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Apr-16-15 03:07 PM
I've also probably been one of the most vocal anti-book-spoiler people here on this board in the past several years. I'm very cognizant of what's in the show and what's not, and everything I'm bringing up here is entirely from the show. With that said, not sure why being a book reader or not matters.

> So you know how he's not fair or honest with Targs either (who does he really support in the books? The person he helped marry off to a savage or the one trained to be a knight?).

Easy: the savage. Why? Because the "savage" is in control of an immense army, bigger than any (or combined) in Westeros. This is obvious with or without being a book reader. Knights are a dime a dozen in Westeros... armies are not.

> I think the implications of what Varys said to Tyrion are inconsistent with how he operates. Varys has pulled the strings on Dany for nearly 20 years in show time - he doesn't need to go there.

How so? Varys trusts very, very few. Tyrion is intelligent, has the correct motives, and perhaps most importantly, shows trust in Varys (remember his one question to Varys during his trial?). Since Varys is trying to put a Targaryen on the throne, in Tyrion he sees a potential situation that can make that happen. This is entirely consistent how he operates.

> Above all, I think Varys wants to live. He wouldn't put all his eggs in one basket. He'd have a plan B and C and D in case the Tyrion/Dany move doesn't come together. And based on Dany's meandering and Tyrion's impulsiveness and whoring - he shouldn't bank on it.

Well, of course he wants to live, but Varys isn't unique in that regard. You're trying to shoehorn motives into his character that has no basis in how the show is actually playing out.

> As a side note, based on what I've read of spoilers (haven't watched the leaks) - they have combined many existing roles into other roles. So, it doesn't make sense for LF to marry off Sansa...but it was simpler for the show. It doesn't make sense for Varys to go on an adventure...but he will (at least for a while?). And I think we'll see more of that with Brienne perhaps filling a certain King's job. And Bronn is playing a Dayne? I don't know...we have to see on that one. But, if you're a book reader as I suspect, we had to know this was coming. They weren't going to have a season of Jamie sitting outside castles talking to dudes. Or Sam on a boat.

You're venturing into really dangeorus territory here. This is the show thread, remember? I can answer every single one of these in length if you want, but it's uncomfortable how casual you're just throwing out various arcs.