Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectreally connected with this one
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=695258&mesg_id=696410
696410, really connected with this one
Posted by ternary_star, Sun Apr-19-15 09:22 PM
this generated a lengthy post-screening discussion between me and my wife...lots of stuff in here that hit home pretty hard.

this movie tackles a handful of different themes and i think Baumbach does a great job at juggling them all and giving them enough room for satisfying exploration. there are a few cringe-worthy moments where the humor goes a little too broad (dance class), but for the most part it all ultimately feels very authentic and believable.

i'm not sure if Adam Driver can play anything besides a skeezeball, but he is very, very good at it and he's great here, exuding the perfect balance of magnetic charm and smug hipster slime. Charles Grodin gives a beautifully understated performance, too.

(SPOILER)

I agree with the above comment about the ending. it felt like a cheap, abrupt cop-out for them to suddenly cave-in and adopt. it didn't ruin the movie for me, but what's the intended message there?