Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectZoller Sietz is a great critic, and a great follow on Twitter too...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=694710&mesg_id=694748
694748, Zoller Sietz is a great critic, and a great follow on Twitter too...
Posted by The Analyst, Fri Mar-20-15 10:33 PM
I also read a lot of A.O. Scott (New York Times) and Wesley Morris (Grantland, formerly Boston Globe). Being from the Boston area, I used to read Morris regularly when he was with the Globe. (He won a Pulitzer during that stretch.) He seems to have more freedom now at Grantland, so most of his "reviews" are like long essays. Even when I disagree with him, he's almost always a great read.

I'm a casual reader of The Dissolve and generally find them to have pretty solid output, but I don't visit their site very regularly.

As far as actual publications go, FilmComment is by far the best around IMO. There are only 6 issues a year, but almost every one is packed with interesting stuff and really good writing. It skews to somewhat high-brow shit, but not exclusively (this month Bertrand Bonello's 'Saint Laurent' is on the cover and the month before was 'What We Do in the Shadows', but the three before that were for Interstellar, Gone Girl, and Boyhood.)