Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Batgirl #41 (The Joker variant cover) Controversy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=694532
694532, The Batgirl #41 (The Joker variant cover) Controversy
Posted by aScribe, Wed Mar-18-15 12:13 PM
For those out of the loop, DC Comics is preparing variant covers for its June 2015 cover-dated books. The theme is The Joker, or more specifically, I believe, celebrating his 75th Anniversary as a character.

On last Friday, DC issued images of the upcoming variants for each of the books being published (or cover-dated) that month. Rafael Albuquerque was commissioned to draw the variant for Batgirl #41.

This is the image he created and what DC solicited last Friday:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/BG-Cv41-Joker-variant-solicitation-88c4e-31e8d.jpg

Welp, the Internet erupted.

There's been a social media campaign to get rid of the cover (#changethecover) due to its depiction of the book's heroine as a victim. This is especially in light of the most recent "rebooted" tone of the book which depicts a modern-day, vibrant, assertive female hero. Those on this side argue that it's tonally different than the current direction of the book, that this variant and the original story it references ("The Killing Joke") has some sexual assault connotations, and that other covers show The Joker in a fun light. Among other arguments.

There's also been support for the variant cover image as it specifically references (e.g., Joker's outfit in the image, the gun) the most iconic interaction between Batgirl and The Joker, "The Killing Joke" graphic novel, in which The Joker shoots and seriously wounds (paralyzing) Batgirl/Barbara Gordon. Those on this side argue against censorship, the limited supply of variant covers making this cover less visible had a campaign not been started, and that the variants are to speak to The Joker's history. Among other arguments.

Per the cover artist (Albuquerque), apparently, death threats were made against those calling for the cover's recall, not to him. Presumably, this was via social media, though nothing concrete has surfaced online that I've seen. Consequently, Albuquerque encouraged DC to pull the cover.

On this past Monday, three days later, DC decided to pull the variant cover.

The book's current creators also voiced their displeasure with the cover and noted they had no creative input into the variant. Which is the norm, I believe.

Here's direct quotes from Albuquerque and DC's official statement: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-cancels-batgirl-joker-variant-at-artists-request

So, what's PTP think?
694533, For the record, I'm fine with it...
Posted by aScribe, Wed Mar-18-15 12:23 PM
And don't think it should have been pulled.
694536, Goddamn it I hate the internet.
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Mar-18-15 12:35 PM
There's a lot of things that I can get behind, but this is stupid.
694539, I get it.
Posted by spades, Wed Mar-18-15 12:51 PM
Would we EVER see Batman w/tears in his eyes? Between the bondage and the obvious fear portrayed on her face can you imagine any super hero being portrayed as such?

Comics are about escapism. Maybe women don't want to be reminded of the possibility of being victimized sexually in their hero escapism fantasies.

I totally get it.
694546, I both get it and feel like it was overblown at the same time.
Posted by Monkey Genius, Wed Mar-18-15 02:49 PM
It's problematic, but I don't know if it rises to the level of CONTROVERSY & OUTRAGE.

I ain't a lady, though.
694556, Precisely. Let's say Spider-Man was sodomized by Venom.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-18-15 04:27 PM
On the anniversary of Venom, would they post Venom, smiling, fucking with a sobbing and afraid Peter Parker? Absolutely fucking not.

Comics fans do have their fair share of overblown outrage stories. This isn't really one of them.
694558, question for you:
Posted by Selah, Wed Mar-18-15 05:00 PM
you equate that batgirl cover as equivalent to one of spider-man being sodomized?

note: I'm not arguing FOR the cover, but still, why not let it be problematic on its own actual merits rather than make up stuff?
694562, No, you misread what I'm saying.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-18-15 05:37 PM
If there was a famous moment like Joker assaulting Batgirl for a male hero, they wouldn't pose the rapist next to a sobbing version of the male hero. They just wouldn't.

I'm not saying the cover would be sodomy. I'm saying, the exact same set of circumstances, with a male hero being sexually assaulted. Do they put that rapist on the cover smiling while tormenting his sobbing male victim? No. They wouldn't.
694557, few things
Posted by Selah, Wed Mar-18-15 04:57 PM
1. you can't tell folks what they should/shouldn't be offended by

2. bondage? where exactly?

3. the joker draped over your shoulder with a gun is kinda a frightening situation no?

4. whether that batgirl cover worse than these or not is debatable (if one wanted to have that debate) but they did/do happen:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8N8ZkVSJx-0/UCWMKljsyfI/AAAAAAAARw8/3lgnFfWFjAY/s1600/Joker+036.jpg

http://www.comicseeker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/batman_1891.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/0/4/24856-3816-27645-1-superman.jpg
694563, a few more things.
Posted by spades, Wed Mar-18-15 05:39 PM
>1. you can't tell folks what they should/shouldn't be
>offended by

I'm not.
>
>2. bondage? where exactly?

He's holding her at gunpoint - is that not bondage?
>
>3. the joker draped over your shoulder with a gun is kinda a
>frightening situation no?

Absolutely.
>
>4. whether that batgirl cover worse than these or not is
>debatable (if one wanted to have that debate) but they did/do
>happen:
>
>http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8N8ZkVSJx-0/UCWMKljsyfI/AAAAAAAARw8/3lgnFfWFjAY/s1600/Joker+036.jpg
>
>http://www.comicseeker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/batman_1891.jpg
>
>http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/0/4/24856-3816-27645-1-superman.jpg
>

These covers kinda prove my point. Not ONE of them is crying - and frankly only ONE of them depicts fear at all.
694564, Yeah, it does look like he's about to sexually assault her
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Mar-18-15 05:40 PM
I doubt that's what the artist intended, but this shit doesn't exist in a vacuum.
694565, boom
Posted by spades, Wed Mar-18-15 05:43 PM
>I doubt that's what the artist intended, but this shit
>doesn't exist in a vacuum.

^^^^^^

The character's history is the history. You can't not consider it when making a cover.

It ain't rocket science.
694596, Without the History of the Killing Joke that cover isn't as bad
Posted by Dae021, Thu Mar-19-15 09:56 AM
But with the history you've got to keep that in perspective.
694727, ..but that cover IS referencing The Killing Joke.
Posted by shockzilla, Fri Mar-20-15 03:20 PM
that's the point.

a book featuring the implicit sexual assault of batgirl by the joker.
694750, Exactly
Posted by ternary_star, Sat Mar-21-15 01:11 AM
the outrage train has gone completely off the tracks. people's eyes just reflexively protesting anything that feels like it maybe might could be offensive to anyone
694545, maybe I'm the wrong person to ask, but I think that's a dope cover.
Posted by Sleepy, Wed Mar-18-15 02:46 PM
It really sums up the character. Those people who don't like the cover pretty much don't like the character.
694552, props to the artist for the sensitivity to pull in once death threats happened
Posted by kayru99, Wed Mar-18-15 03:04 PM
the artist asked that DC not release the cover because opponents of the cover were getting death threats.

That's pretty level-headed.

And I like that cover. But I like crazy killer joker
694559, remember how much folks hated the comics code authority?
Posted by Selah, Wed Mar-18-15 05:02 PM
funny how now we are swinging the pendulum right back to the reason that was implemented

s'a trip to observe

for grins, this was the original criteria:

* Crimes shall never be presented in such a way as to create sympathy for the criminal, to promote distrust of the forces of law and justice, or to inspire others with a desire to imitate criminals.
* If crime is depicted it shall be as a sordid and unpleasant activity.
* Policemen, judges, government officials, and respected institutions shall never be presented in such a way as to create disrespect for established authority.
* Criminals shall not be presented so as to be rendered glamorous or to occupy a position which creates a desire for emulation.
* In every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds.
* Scenes of excessive violence shall be prohibited. Scenes of brutal torture, excessive and unnecessary knife and gunplay, physical agony, gory and gruesome crime shall be eliminated.
* No comic magazine shall use the words "horror" or "terror" in its title.
* All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.
* All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated.
* Inclusion of stories dealing with evil shall be used or shall be published only where the intent is to illustrate a moral issue and in no case shall evil be presented alluringly, nor so as to injure the sensibilities of the reader.
* Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.
* Profanity, obscenity, smut, vulgarity, or words or symbols which have acquired undesirable meanings are forbidden.
* Nudity in any form is prohibited, as is indecent or undue exposure.
* Suggestive and salacious illustration or suggestive posture is unacceptable.
* Females shall be drawn realistically without exaggeration of any physical qualities.
* Illicit sex relations are neither to be hinted at nor portrayed. Rape scenes as well as sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.
* Seduction and rape shall never be shown or suggested.
* Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.
* Nudity with meretricious purpose and salacious postures shall not be permitted in the advertising of any product; clothed figures shall never be presented in such a way as to be offensive or contrary to good taste or morals.

694751, yyyyyyyyyep
Posted by ternary_star, Sat Mar-21-15 01:13 AM
all this wrong-headed moral outrage gonna really sting when the book burnings start
694765, I think outrage fatigue is going to set in soon
Posted by mrshow, Sat Mar-21-15 02:05 PM
694766, No one in here is blindly outraged, though.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Mar-21-15 02:59 PM
Comics, like other art forms, have their share of blind outrage (the idiotic Spider-Woman cover controversy, for instance), but this was legitimately problematic.

There's a world of difference between uninformed and idiotic outrage... and legitimate, informed, and understandable outrage. The two shouldn't be conflated.
694777, Wasn't referring to PTP speciffically
Posted by mrshow, Sat Mar-21-15 10:35 PM
694566, this seems like the anti-gamergate
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Mar-18-15 05:53 PM
moreso because while the point of conflict made light of gender inequality, the wronged side went over the boundary of socially acceptable behavior (death threats) to self-police.

granted sexual assualt / misconduct is nothing to make light of and as a straight man it's easy for me to say this, but two wrongs don't make a right.

* counter point *

also, is this comic for adults or children? if it's also read by children, then by all means, this cover ought not be released. but if movies like the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Boys Don't Cry can use sexual assault to drive a narrative I don't see why an adult couldn't read the context and intent of the cover.
694568, As per the writer of this version of Batgirl and the artist...
Posted by KwesiAkoKennedy, Wed Mar-18-15 06:29 PM
They both agreed that the audience and tone of the book made the cover inappropriate.

694570, thx
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Mar-18-15 06:46 PM
694571, tone of the book indeed
Posted by Selah, Wed Mar-18-15 07:05 PM
http://www.comicvine.com/batgirl/4050-42604/
694585, So people are mad at a Comic Supervillian doing some evil shit
Posted by Adwhizz, Thu Mar-19-15 01:47 AM
Would it be OK, if instead he was just beating the shit out of her (in a completely non sexual way) or maybe just shooting her in the head?

694600, No, people are mad at a super heroine being depicted as a victim.
Posted by spades, Thu Mar-19-15 11:09 AM
694617, Once again, he's a SUPERVILLIAN, their whole modus operandi
Posted by Adwhizz, Thu Mar-19-15 12:43 PM
is inflicting evil shit on people.

So writers/artists can't depict stories where something bad happens to Heroines?
694632, Heros don't cry and therefore neither should Heroines
Posted by spades, Thu Mar-19-15 03:39 PM
It ain't that complicated. The fact that Heros take on Supervillians sans tears is what separates them from normal folk.

You can keep making this silly-assed argument, but it's always gonna be wrong.
694752, Batgirl isn't Batman's equal
Posted by ternary_star, Sat Mar-21-15 01:24 AM
I assume you really don't believe that male superheroes are never portrayed in vulnerable positions...that's asinine to the point of not even being worth discussion
694759, Not only that, but to my understanding Batgirl is supposed to
Posted by Adwhizz, Sat Mar-21-15 10:57 AM
be a regular human (albeit highly skilled at fighting and such) she still feels physical pain and can be killed.

In real life if you beat somebody enough/make them think you're about to kill them, chances are a few tears are going to flow, I don't care how tough you are.
694588, This is so stupid
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu Mar-19-15 07:39 AM
The joker fucking paralyzed her in The Killing Joke

of course if she has a tear in her eye she's obviously still fucked up over that whole ordeal and has left her mentally scared a bit.

Batman had his back broken
Superman died

Don't act like bad shit don't happen to male super heroes.

I swear this internet outrage is getting out of hand
disgusting
694592, It's stupid when the creative team and the artist agree...?
Posted by KwesiAkoKennedy, Thu Mar-19-15 09:01 AM
The tone and direction of the book isn't about that anymore.

The artist agreed and requested it be pulled.

The writer agreed also and backed him up.

Cameron Stewart

@cameronMstewart · 1 day ago
The cover was not seen or approved by anyone on Team Batgirl and was completely at odds with what we are doing with the comic.

Whats the problem?
694603, ^^^
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Mar-19-15 11:19 AM
>The tone and direction of the book isn't about that anymore.
>
>The artist agreed and requested it be pulled.
>
>The writer agreed also and backed him up.
>
>Cameron Stewart
>
>@cameronMstewart · 1 day ago
>The cover was not seen or approved by anyone on Team Batgirl
>and was completely at odds with what we are doing with the
>comic.
>
>
>
>Whats the problem?
694595, Isn't that another character together? EDIT: You're right
Posted by Sleepy, Thu Mar-19-15 09:38 AM
I don't think this Batgirl here is Barbara Gordon/Oracle.

EDIT: So, it is Barbara Gordon/Oracle. This "New 52" has me all turned around.
694619, Except they don't show Batman pissing his pants when he fights Bane...
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Mar-19-15 12:58 PM
...again.

Or Superman fearing a re-match with Doomsday.

But when it's a female superhero, she's so scared she has a tear in her eye? Yeah, that's sexist.
694621, THANK YOU!
Posted by spades, Thu Mar-19-15 01:31 PM
Why is this so hard to understand?
694655, ^^^
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Mar-19-15 06:01 PM
694667, Agree. You don't see this. (fan art of Superman + Doomsday)
Posted by j0510, Thu Mar-19-15 07:48 PM
>...again.
>
>Or Superman fearing a re-match with Doomsday.
>
>But when it's a female superhero, she's so scared she has a
>tear in her eye? Yeah, that's sexist.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--71DRT7Dv--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/dpujxu72za0jm4epuetz.jpg

694730, LMAO!!!!
Posted by spades, Fri Mar-20-15 03:28 PM
694758, that would be a fantastic cover, though
Posted by ternary_star, Sat Mar-21-15 09:35 AM
the argument against the Batgirl cover is so frustratingly specious
694670, I dunno. Sexist just b/c she's crying?
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Mar-19-15 09:17 PM
Most of the complaints seem centered around the general idea that the cover is rapey as much as anything else, and I don't really see that either. And in the story it was referencing, Babs was crying... with good reason. The way people are reacting, it's like it's not okay for a hero/ine to be portrayed as scared.

I get it, it just seems a bit heavy-handed to me, especially when there's stuff like Ame-Comi Girls on the DC shelves. The Catwoman and Outsiders NU52 reboots caused a furor, but none of that stuff got pulled. But who am I to judge whether someone should be offended or find something sexist.

That said, everyone involved agreed to pull it rather than offend some readers, and that's great. Albequerque's statement was quite gentlemanly and the whole thing seems to have been handled quite well.
694700, Sexist because it's a female character crying in fear re: a villain who...
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Mar-20-15 11:27 AM
...shot her. Again, I cannot think of a single male superhero who they've depicted being paralyzed with fear and sobbing at the prospect of confronting someone who's hurt him in the past. They're shown being about to rise above/no show any fear, because they're superheroes. Even Daredevil, the whiniest superhero ever.
694594, Good cover for a Vertigo comic. Bad cover for a regular ass issue
Posted by BigReg, Thu Mar-19-15 09:20 AM
Problem is that the way the joker is written can be inconsistent (which, funny enough, is part of the characters feel). He can pop in the cartoon fine, or push a comic book movie almost to R territory and stlll have plenty of fucked up room to spare.

Artistically its FANTASTIC, but I understand DC's call. This isn't supposed to be a one off super twisted story, its a regular issue with the joker probably at cruise control
694597, Maybe I need to re-read Killing Joke, but I don't remember sexual
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Mar-19-15 10:20 AM
assault even being implied in it. So I don't really know where all that's coming from. Just strikes me as a reference to a famous story in which Joker shot Barbara Gordon (if memory serves, he didn't know she was Batgirl) at her home.

*edit* okay, I forgot about the pictures.

For the record, Gail Simone referenced the Killing Joke relatively recently in Birds of Prey, when the Joker tracked Oracle down and put things together that she was the young girl he'd shot all those years earlier.

I like the cover quite a bit, agree that it disagrees with the tone of the book but at the same time variant covers celebrating an anniversary almost never do. Doesn't strike me as a big deal (there are far more cringeworthy covers from every publisher on a regular basis), doesn't strike me as a huge deal that it was pulled either.
694606, Well, I mean....
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Mar-19-15 11:30 AM
I never agreed with that take before I saw the original artwork, but after, yeah...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=90787

694729, it always seemed fairly apparent to me.
Posted by shockzilla, Fri Mar-20-15 03:26 PM
694753, Alan Moore says that she wasn't
Posted by CaptNish, Sat Mar-21-15 01:48 AM
But I feel like the artwork says different.
694601, I'm glad this convo is being had, but still disagree with nixing it...
Posted by aScribe, Thu Mar-19-15 11:12 AM
I'm glad that people are taking violence against women seriously, that folks from all sides of the industry (e.g., creators/fans, men/women, etc.) are weighing in, and that folks are giving serious thought about how women are traditionally portrayed in comicdom. It's an important conversation to have and always will be. I do still think the cover is fine as is and should not have been pulled.

I realize folks have strong opinions on this, but I'll still give my reasoning for being okay with the cover.

I think context is extremely key here.

The themed variant covers are celebrating The Joker, a character that has a range of interpretation from a simple prankster to a sadistic killer, and, oftentimes, a combination of those two extremes. That means the variant cover should be open to any canonical interpretation of The Joker.

In this particular instance, it was for the cover of Batgirl, a hero he's had an iconic, albeit violent, interaction with (The Killing Joke). In that context, it makes sense to reference that. Not that it had to be referenced, nor should it be the exclusive reference point for these two characters, but it is fair game. And it's clear that the variant cover is indeed SPECIFICALLY referencing that interaction (e.g., Joker's clothing in the piece, the use of the gun). The variant cover isn't a random pairing of Joker and Batgirl with threatening connotations just for the sake of it, it's a callback to a specific interaction between those two characters.

I also think it's important to note that in the variant, unlike in "The Killing Joke" story, Barbara is fully in costume as Batgirl and, while certainly depicted as afraid/terrified, she isn't physically bound nor is the gun pointed at her directly. The implication is that she is terrified/traumatized, which again speaks to a past interaction that would trigger such emotions, not a random reaction to The Joker.

Let me also say, I don't think that "The Killing Joke" or Barbara-as-a-victim should be the ONLY artistic depiction whenever these two characters interact (e.g., on a cover, interior story), but I don't think it should be excluded. It WOULD be a problem if this were the "umpteenth" time Barbara was artistically framed as the terrified victim. It would certainly disservice her as a heroine and as a human being unwilling to conquer her fears. But she's faced The Joker after "The Killing Joke" and defeated him, and would most certainly do so again.

I wouldn't expect the same piece using Wonder Woman or Starfire, and not just because those characters could superhumanly defeat The Joker, but because they haven't had this particular interaction with him. Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if a Joker-themed cover with Jason Todd/Red Hood referenced "A Death in the Family" – which has happened. Or if a themed variant cover featuring Bane referenced him breaking Batman's back. Or one featuring Doomsday referenced him killing Superman.

As for being tonally different than the current run of the book, most variant covers are. The purpose of a variant has been to feature the book's character within the context of the variant's theme or setting typically without regard for the book's tone. Variants serve the variant's theme with the title character positioned in context to that. And that's what's being done here, with the added historical reference to the title character and variant subject.

And to be clear, I'm generally against variant covers as a consumer (though I've loved the art it generates), I haven't been reading this run of Batgirl, and I wasn't planning to cop this variant cover at all. I'm just against pulling the variant on principle.
694634, The artist wanted it removed. What principle is being violated?
Posted by KwesiAkoKennedy, Thu Mar-19-15 04:06 PM
694656, ^^^
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Mar-19-15 06:01 PM
694693, Well, in my opinion, that's a slippery slope...
Posted by aScribe, Fri Mar-20-15 09:44 AM
Not that there couldn't be an instance where I would side with an artist for wanting a commissioned work removed. But in this particular instance, I disagree.

The artist, Albuquerque, told CBR, "My intention was never to hurt or upset anyone through my art. For that reason, I have recommended to DC that the variant cover be pulled." The full quote is here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-cancels-batgirl-joker-variant-at-artists-request

If the only reason he requested it be pulled is because a group of people were hurt or upset at the solicited image...well, that's an incredibly slippery slope in my opinion. If that's the barometer for being able to pull a comic book cover – particularly in the present social media age, where opinions can receive an unprecedented amount of attention – I don't think that bodes well for the future.

There's absolutely no way to control or even measure what's hurtful or upsetting to (segments of) an audience in a medium where the art and dialogue run the gamut of the human experience (even in light of many being superhumans). Then there's the argument of how much audience hurt/upset is acceptable?

I do think (personal morals injected here) that DC does have a responsibility to be tasteful, particularly with respect to comic covers, as it's the first thing seen by a consumer. But, as I stated above, within the context in which the cover's presented, I think it's fine.

Again, I'm not advocating violence against women and, again, I think this is a healthy and needed conversation to be had within this industry.

While I respect DC for not wanting to encourage the proliferation of death threats or violence (however weak they might have been), I disagree with DC deciding to pull it based off of Albuquerque's reasoning.

And as I said, there may very well be an instance where I would side with an artist for wanting a commissioned work removed, but not in this instance.
694696, Yeah...this happens all the time in comics and publishing...
Posted by KwesiAkoKennedy, Fri Mar-20-15 10:58 AM
...you just never hear about it. Does material get produced that eventually gets removed or redone by the artist themselves because of offensiveness. YUP. All the time. Kurt Busiek was running virtual seminar through twitter on this when outrage over the outrage reached peak neckbeard...

"I can’t argue what should and shouldn’t be an issue for you. Merely that comics publishers have been reacting to reader reactions for a long time now, and the changes social media brings to it change the speed more than the effect."
https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/577681018620014593

"I’m standing up for “this cover doesn’t actually fit this book.” If used elsewhere, it could work just fine."
https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/577655415674003456

"I’m arguing that packaging serves a purpose and it’s appropriate to make choices about it."
https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/577671814370865152

"Publishers hear opinions, and have opinions, and make their choices. This is how it’s always been"
https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/577683862676901888

The artist now knows the audience for the comic since he didn't before he was hired to do it. At least the one the current creative team wants and have been getting more sales on a regular basis because of it. And they agreed that it wasn't the right tone for the direction of the book.

He also goes into a lot more detail in an interview translated here...
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/18/albuquerque-was-asked-to-make-batgirl-cover-more-extreme/

"I think those who know the “Killing Joke” got the point. But again, young people aged 14 to 17 years does not have the obligation to know, and I think both myself and the publisher, even unintentionally, were wrong in thinking that the image would be appropriate."

" I see many people commenting on freedom of expression and that I gave in to pressure. I have always defended minorities. I think is the right and moral thing to do. I do not think a comic that aims to raise women´s self-esteem should have an image that may suggest otherwise. In another comic, maybe that image made sense. Not for the current Batgirl comic. Freedom of expression also means not saying what you do not want to say, and it was exactly the right that I exercised here."

Where's the slippery slope...?
694732, basically.
Posted by shockzilla, Fri Mar-20-15 03:30 PM
694731, if you were actually reading the book, you'd get why the creators rejected it.
Posted by shockzilla, Fri Mar-20-15 03:29 PM
they've given the book a complete overhaul, walking it back from being grim and gritty to a book that's much more lighthearted and one in which batgirl has resolved her issues with her killing joke past.

this cover is regression for their take on the character.
694760, I don't see an issue with them changing the cover if t doesn't fit
Posted by Adwhizz, Sat Mar-21-15 11:01 AM
the mood of the comic, that's their creative choice, and I'm not buying the issue either way.

However I do have issue (no pun intended) with the idea that the cover is sexist. It's not like she's on her hands and knees begging for mercy while tears are streaming down her face.