Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=690623
690623, Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
Posted by woodsen2, Tue Dec-30-14 08:06 AM
Knocked out all 10 episodes in an afternoon off from work.
Felt like it got much better as it went along. I'll be interested to see where they take it assuming it gets a second season.

If this was on Netflix I think it could be a huge hit, but probably won't get much buzz on Amazon.
690625, what's it about?
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Dec-30-14 09:03 AM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
690627, It's a comedy about classical musicians in NYC
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Dec-30-14 09:23 AM
Though it's probably not as stuffy as that sounded just now.
690626, I dug it
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Dec-30-14 09:22 AM
Probably not quite as good as Transparent. Really enjoyed Gael Garcia Bernal, dude hit just the right mix of being "quirky and eccentric" while also being believable. I was able to buy his as a genius at his art, which is typically not easy for TV shows to do (though that may be because I'm not exactly a classical music expert.) The little moments where the musicians were just talking with each other and going through their stuff was the most interesting. I didn't really care for McDowell's character as much; he seemed like a two dimensional old guy whose time has come.

I'd say Amazon is 4 for 4 on original comedies so far, though I realize everyone didn't like Betas as much as I did.
690654, I am excited about s2 of alpha house
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Dec-30-14 08:22 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
690676, It's pretty good
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Dec-31-14 10:32 AM
A bit more surreal than S1, but if you liked the first, you'll definitely enjoy it.
690757, Love Alpha House both seasons,
Posted by calminvasion, Sat Jan-03-15 08:36 PM
Can't get myself to start this be, has no idea it was a comedy till this post. Amazon really struggles with marketing their shows better.

I will say that one set in Oaris was unwatchable so they're definitely not batting a 1000
690836, Yeah, I was only referring to the ones that got series orders
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Jan-06-15 10:37 AM
The pilots have been all over the place. Though The Cosmopolitans is maybe getting a series order, even though I agree with you on that pilot.
690838, i had no idea what it was about based on the subway ads
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Jan-06-15 02:21 PM
>Amazon really struggles with marketing
>their shows better.

and can i just say the title shot bump graphic is horrendous. like some of the worst shit i've ever seen in life. and all the green screen shit is ass too.

these to me aren't even budget related but just shitty fucking talent. i overlooked it, or rather i shut up cause the wife ain't wanna hear all that, but on my own volition i probably would have passed.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

690629, LOL. Agreed
Posted by BigReg, Tue Dec-30-14 10:32 AM
>If this was on Netflix I think it could be a huge hit, but
>probably won't get much buzz on Amazon.
690631, Very Solid. Surprised it's not getting more love
Posted by BigReg, Tue Dec-30-14 10:34 AM
Most of the principal actors kill their roles. It does veer into cheeziness sometimes with the fish outta water plot(and furthermore on the plot, does it even have a main one, lol), but it's def. something that could be on HBO.
690636, Bernal and McDowell need to spend some time watching actual conductors.
Posted by stravinskian, Tue Dec-30-14 12:23 PM
I'm glad they got extras and a cast of musicians who can actually hold their instruments correctly, but the big stars seem not to have been cast for their musical background.

And the sound editors need to put a lot more work into synching everything up. Very nerdy complaints, but I think most of their target audience would be similarly fatigued.

Apart from minor complaints like that, I enjoyed it. But my ladyfriend (a musician who studied at Juilliard and traveled in those circles) hated it, more over the nonmusical elements than the musical ones. I think the show annoyed her in a similar way to how The Big Bang Theory bothers me. We're probably off the wagon as of the 3rd episode, unless the buzz gets really strong.
690673, LOL!! Watched it last night and from the first scene
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Dec-31-14 10:01 AM
the conducting was so fucking awful.

Is Rodrigo supposed to be based on Gustavo Dudamel because if not I'd sue if I were him.

The musical shit doesn't quite annoy me 3 eps in. My wife loves it but she loves Bernal. Prolly make it through the season, bt kinda wondering where it can go.

The Oedipus Rocks was the funniest part of the show so far to me.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

690745, Watched in a few days
Posted by Gloworm, Sat Jan-03-15 01:24 PM
If this was on regular TV, I likely wouldn't have stuck around past the first two episodes. But since all ten were ready and waiting, I went for it.
The series got a bit more interesting as things went on. I'm hoping the characters and stories gel more in season 2. Right now, I felt Malcolm McDowell's bitter old guy character was obvious. I can't quite get a feel for where GGB is going with Rodrigo. Would love to see a bit more diversity added to the main cast in next season. Took me half the season to figure out Hailey from whoever Saffron Burrows character is (still can't remember her name). Plus, the WackyFun roommate...

690829, Didn't realize Rita the Cat was that old
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jan-05-15 09:23 PM
Let's see hoe many get that one...

Knocked this out in 2 days. Solid. Not great, but enjoyable. Agreed on McDowell. Somebody forgot to tell him Franklin and Bash was cancelled. But I digress
707383, was surprised how much i liked this show...
Posted by gumz, Thu Jan-21-16 03:08 PM
just watched both seasons in about a week...good show. kind of simple but enjoyable. i ended up liking a lot of the characters which is what carries it.