Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectA fun ride (in spite of terrible storytelling)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=688952&mesg_id=699234
699234, A fun ride (in spite of terrible storytelling)
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Jun-12-15 08:54 AM
Jurassic Park is a lot of fun even though pretty much everything not involving dinosaurs should probably have been cut out and it should have been a straight action movie. It's a little reminiscent to Rise of the Planet of the Apes in that the humans just bring the film down.

The film has three storylines and botches them all.
1. The love story is a complete waste but at least works as a set-up for a great comedic moment.

2. The divorce/brothers storyline is slammed in so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

3. The people I went to the movie with were confused by the corporate angle which seems like it was mostly put in there to set up a potential sequel and to create a human villain where one wasn't really needed.

On the bright side, they seemed to have understood how bad these storylines were in edit and cut them down to the bare minimum. Although honestly, the film should have learned the lesson from Rise vs. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, lost most of the human stories even more and let us spend more time with the Andominus Rex and watching it learn about life outside of containment (and see the other dinosaurs reacting to a new member of the ecosystem.)

But still, DINOSAURS! The film is a lot of fun, does a good job with fan service, and I thought Jake Johnson supplied the perfect amount of comic relief. The geography of the Island wasn't handled very well and I was a bit disappointed that this was Blunt Force Cinema - we only got one scene of someone being clever to avoid dinosaurs; the rest was all humans inexplicably running faster than dinosaurs. But this is a silly popcorn movie so those things were just passing thoughts while I enjoyed watching the action.

Head in with low expectations and you'll be very entertained.

Oh, and the most impressive thing in the movie is Bryce Dallas Howard's heels. Those things must have been made out of Valerian steel or something.