Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectToo Many Cooks.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=688237
688237, Too Many Cooks.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-07-14 01:29 AM
http://youtu.be/RzdRQCnDBlw
688256, How fucking amazing was that?
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Nov-07-14 11:37 AM
I sat watching it like "This is brilliant." Then it was like "Shit, I get it. You've out lived your welcome" back to "No, I was wrong, this is brilliant" to "I'm just gonna shut up and enjoy this."

Once it got to the doctor scene, I felt like I was watching something truly unbelievable. So well done.
688258, RE: Too Many Cooks.
Posted by Euameio, Fri Nov-07-14 11:53 AM
dont know why this gives me horse_ebooks vibes-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_ebooks

and is lars von trier involved at all?
688262, Possibly the best 11 minutes.
Posted by xbenzive, Fri Nov-07-14 12:22 PM
688263, Perfectly funny at times, but I don't love it as everyone else
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Nov-07-14 12:37 PM
The serial killer stuff and every other instance where it went "dark" pretty much sent it off the rails for me. I pretty subscribe to the belief that if in a comedy sketch people start beating each other up/killing people, it means they've run out of ideas and they needed to end it before they actually did. Which I guess might be the point, maybe, but those parts of the sketch weren't entertaining, even on a meta level. Only exception was the serial killer seeing the girl's chyron is visible through the closet. But all the other "dark" stuff didn't work.
688264, I agree with your points, but this made it worth it
Posted by BigReg, Fri Nov-07-14 01:02 PM
>Only exception was the serial killer seeing the girl's
>chyron is visible through the closet.

688265, Yeah. That was when I tuned out and tuned back in
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Nov-07-14 01:05 PM
688356, that part had me dying
Posted by gumz, Mon Nov-10-14 12:58 PM
688278, Yeah, it was a little too self-consciously "dark" and "twisted"
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Nov-07-14 04:07 PM
It's like, we get it, bro, you're subverting and twisting a genre that's ripe for it, good job, now cut 5 minutes of this shit and be on your way, thanks

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas created aliases.
688468, I agree with you
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Nov-12-14 01:04 PM
>The serial killer stuff and every other instance where it
>went "dark" pretty much sent it off the rails for me. I pretty
>subscribe to the belief that if in a comedy sketch people
>start beating each other up/killing people, it means they've
>run out of ideas and they needed to end it before they
>actually did. Which I guess might be the point, maybe, but
>those parts of the sketch weren't entertaining, even on a meta
>level. Only exception was the serial killer seeing the girl's
>chyron is visible through the closet. But all the other "dark"
>stuff didn't work.
688270, felt like a Family Guy gag that went way to long
Posted by RobOne4, Fri Nov-07-14 01:50 PM
688445, so a regular Family Guy gag
Posted by rdhull, Tue Nov-11-14 08:30 PM
>
688469, lol
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Nov-12-14 01:04 PM
688603, LMAO
Posted by b.Touch, Sat Nov-15-14 01:36 PM
688279, Kinda started to lose me, but then the chase made it worthwhile
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Nov-07-14 04:29 PM
Fucking beautiful
688398, agreed
Posted by LES, Mon Nov-10-14 11:33 PM
i nearly shut it off but then caught a glimpse of the chase. that was great. it stretched too damn long for my taste though
688399, yeah that was straight brilliance. the people at AS are sick.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Nov-10-14 11:58 PM
688417, Hilarious.
Posted by Wordman, Tue Nov-11-14 11:56 AM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
688431, Everytime I read the title of this post, the damn song gets stuck...
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Nov-11-14 03:32 PM
...in my head.
688439, Yup!
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Nov-11-14 07:36 PM
we watched this at work last week, and people are still walking around humming that shit at random
688604, Too many Cooks!
Posted by b.Touch, Sat Nov-15-14 01:37 PM
Too ma-ny Cooks!

Too many Cooks!

TOOOOO MANY CO-OO-OOKS!
688440, am i high?
Posted by Voodoochilde, Tue Nov-11-14 07:38 PM
...my daughter JUST finished showing us this and i thought i was just partially woken-up/partially-stuck in a dream with the television stuck on tvland...

the puppet...for me its all about that freaky ass lookin puppet...

688442, The length and the 'dark' part sent it from good to great.....
Posted by rorschach, Tue Nov-11-14 08:17 PM
I'm a fan of material that's not afraid to turn its comedy against the viewer.

And that section starts so brilliantly because he starts off as an innocent photobomber.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
688460, It takes a lot to make a stew.
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Nov-12-14 08:56 AM
688472, A pinch of salt and laughter, too
Posted by nipsey, Wed Nov-12-14 02:24 PM
688562, A scoop of kids to add the spice
Posted by b.Touch, Fri Nov-14-14 05:38 AM
688466, *blink*
Posted by lfresh, Wed Nov-12-14 11:32 AM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
688473, And just like that, the creator is "taking meetings" (SWIPE)
Posted by nipsey, Wed Nov-12-14 02:26 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cooks-creator-sudden-success-72-748284

'Too Many Cooks' Creator on Sudden Success: "72 Hours of Constant Adrenaline"
10:00 AM PST 11/12/2014 by Seth Abramovitch

It began as a barely seen segment that aired at 4 a.m. on Adult Swim — a bizarre 11-minute parody of 1980s sitcom openings set to an earworm of a theme song. But after its Nov. 5 upload to YouTube and a few enthusiastic tweets from such influential genre filmmakers as Edgar Wright and Rian Johnson, "Too Many Cooks" is hurtling toward cult-viral status.

The video had amassed 1.4 million hits by Nov. 10 to become a top trending topic on Twitter. For its creator, Chris "Casper" Kelly, the mania has been a lot to take in. "It's been 72 hours of constant adrenaline that could almost veer into flop sweat and panic," he tells THR of his success, which, like so many Hollywood breakthroughs, has been decades in the making.

A former newspaper cartoonist who has produced content for Atlanta-based Cartoon Network and its companion Adult Swim since the late '90s, Kelly had been toying with the idea for "Cooks" for a while and decided it would pair well with a new block of late-night infomercial parodies. "It kind of fit in with the idea of befuddling someone who stumbled on it at 4 a.m."

Produced on a five-figure budget with impressive results — there's even an animated homage to G.I. Joe — the short features more than 80 extras, all credited by their real names, who are stalked across TV genres by a cannibal.

Weird as it may sound, "Cooks" has found a huge and adoring audience. Patton Oswalt, Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn and Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, have all reached out to Kelly to profess their admiration for it. Then there's that Instagram video featuring Zooey Deschanel dueting on the addictive theme song with a rather tone-deaf Billy Eichner. "All these people I love who've seen something I made is really crazy," says Kelly.

Now with Hollywood calling, Kelly, who has no representation ("I didn't really feel the need before"), is taking meetings in L.A. and soliciting advice from such pros as Matt Thompson, co-showrunner of FX's Archer. Says Kelly, "He sent me a nice, long email about how to handle my career."

Five Fun Facts About "Too Many Cooks"

1. The creator attended middle school in the Middle East

When he was just entering his teen years, Kelly's engineer father moved the family to Saudi Arabia in search of work building airports. "So that was my puberty."

2. Tricks of the trade

While Adult Swim won't divulge the exact budget, it was extremely low — the same amount allotted to other parody infomercials that aired in the same time slot. Kelly worked with Atlanta-based indie production company Fake Wood Wallpaper to achieve some of the effects on a shoestring: "In the hospital scenes, we just shot a cinder block wall with a curtain hanging in front of it."

3. You take the good, you take the bad

"Cooks" is a mixture of storyboarded scenarios and scenes improvised on the fly. Kelly began with a rough test edit that stitched together actual shots from existing sitcoms with illustrations of some of his planned sequences, all of which he set to a looped version of the theme from The Facts of Life.

4. A maniac star is born

William Tokarsky, the background actor who plays the machete-wielding murderer, has seen his IMDb Starmeter ranking skyrocket from 99,590 to 7,067 since the video went viral — surging past fellow Adult Swim stars Eric Wareheim (14,778) and Tim Heidecker (8,837).

5. The way it was meant to be seen

Sure, most of us experienced "Too Many Cooks" online, where YouTube's timecode bar gave away one of its biggest mysteries: "When will this end?!" But if you want to catch it the way it was meant to be seen – on late-night TV — Adult Swim is re-airing it all week at midnight.
688474, 'Too Many Cooks' Creator Reveals 6 Sources of Inspiration (SWIPE)
Posted by nipsey, Wed Nov-12-14 02:29 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cooks-creator-reveals-6-sources-748534

'Too Many Cooks' Creator Reveals 6 Sources of Inspiration
10:01 AM PST 11/12/2014 by Chris Caspar Kelly

By now you likely live under a rock if you haven't at least heard of "Too Many Cooks," the insane parody of 1980s sitcom openings that went viral after Adult Swim put it YouTube. (And if you haven't, here's your chance to get educated. See you 11 life-changing minutes from now.) The Hollywood Reporter spoke to Chris "Caspar" Kelly, the Atlanta-based filmmaker behind "Cooks," to learn more about how the project came together and what's next for his career. We also asked him to compile a list of inspirations for "Too Many Cooks," which we've reprinted below.

Chris "Casper" Kelly's 6 Inspirations for "Too Many Cooks"

1. Everything David Lynch does

This is so expected I almost didn't put it on the list. Yes, he is dark but he also always has a heart that is always breaking and it is his own. Google last scene of last episode of Twin Peaks. 'Nuff Said. Also Charlie Kaufman, Stanley Kubrick, Beyond the Black Rainbow, George Saunders and Donald Barthelme. Listen to myself, I am a pretentious asshole.

2. Tim and Eric

You've heard of banality of evil? They explore the evil of banality. If you haven't heard of them just Google, "It's Not Jackie Chan." If you have heard of them watch their new show, Bedtime Stories. As a suburban dad myself I've always been to scared to say "hi" to them at parties.

3. Adult Swim late night

The Heart She Holler, Off the Air, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies, Mr. Pickles, my show Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell (obligatory plug) and others I forget as I'm rushing to write this. Also watch the documentary I Think We Are Alone Now about Tiffany fandom and then watch Hot Package.

4. Lasagna Cat

Fatal Farm has done their own credits parodies, an incredible RoboCop parody, and great commercials. But I always come back to Lasagna Cat -- the "Eyes Without a Face" one. It's that combo of banality and sadness that gets me! They haven't done a show or a movie and I can only guess that means they don't want one yet.

5. The entire world of older sitcoms

Sure I mock them, but another part of my brain loves them unironically. Maybe that's what "irony" is, anyway -- loving something you also hate. Otherwise you simply hate it.

6. Bonus palate cleanser

Mike Leigh movies. Another Year, Happy Go Lucky. The whole back catalog. It's the opposite of all I mentioned above. It isn't stylized. It's very natural and human and I love it. Palate cleanser!

Thank you all! It's been nice talking to you for this short window before I'm in the dustbin with the California Raisins!