Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectOf what I've seen so far, no.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=688232&mesg_id=688707
688707, Of what I've seen so far, no.
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Nov-18-14 02:07 AM
>Does Ava, David and Bradford have any serious competition where they won't win Oscars and Golden Globes?

The closest thing to competition might be The Theory of Everything, which checks off all of the things on the Oscar checklist: biopic/period piece, actorly performance by an actor doing actorly things, like playing a man with a form of ALS, a witty script, an emotional love story.

And Foxcatcher might sneak in despite its super-dark subject matter and execution, though some may argue that it's a movie whose performances from the 3 male leads make up for the lack of (a complete) story.

But so far, that's about it. But I have yet to see a few of the apparent heavy hitters, like Unbroken, The Imitation Game, American Sniper, Mr. Turner, The Homesman, and Wild.

But this might be the kind of year that a popular movie like Gone Girl and Fury could merit some consideration. And of course, let's not forget about stuff that came out earlier in the year, like The Grand Budapest Hotel and Boyhood.

I personally wasn't that enthralled with Nightcrawler (it's a great character in search of a movie with a less-obvious message than "Hey, guys, the media is bad and if guys like this can succeed, THEN HOW FUCKED UP ARE WE??????," but it may merit some consideration for Gyllenhaal and the script.

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas made aliases.