Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWow awesome.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=687923&mesg_id=706415
706415, Wow awesome.
Posted by denny, Mon Dec-28-15 12:06 AM
I've read pretty exhaustively about this film and I haven't yet delved into the feminist angle. Like all great art....this movie intertwines multiple narratives....the feminist angle isn't it's sole purpose but it's definitely there and this article is the best articulation I've come across.

The only thing that didn't ring quite true.....

"And now it's important to point out that the single "danger" from Nathan's perspective was to make sure that if Ava did try to escape, she would be unable to do so." and........'He wants them to achieve a true sentient state, but he doesn't want them to escape'

Some of the other overlapping narratives just don't jive with that. Alot of the common critiques of the script go to the lax security system. Those questions are answered if we understand that Nathan is allowing for the possiblity of escape. His real turing test is whether the AI can out-think him and attain freedom.

But there's some absolutely fascinating suggestions if we go the other way in assuming that he's not satisfied with just simply having power of the woman by default. Why ISN'T Kyoko enough for him? He has complete control over her. Yet he continues to try to improve the model to such the extent that he WON'T have control over her. His dominion or power over her isn't giving him the kicks he needs. Yah, he'll fuck Kyoko but he still wants something more right? And I think here the writer is saying something about power dynamics. The thrill of the sadist requires the suffering of the victim. The less sentient they are...the less Nathan gets out of holding that power.

So maybe the article's contention makes sense. He doesn't WANT them to escape....but he needs for them to be highly sentient in order for his power to become meaningful.

Anyways...this movie has layers eh? lol One of the best ever.