Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThis is a masterpiece.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=687923&mesg_id=704007
704007, This is a masterpiece.
Posted by denny, Tue Oct-27-15 03:38 PM
Alex Garland knows how to write a screenplay. I found out after watching this that he also adapted 'Never Let Me Go'.

This is a purely intellectual movie. Philosophy of mind...philosophy of language, of course, AI. If you're familiar with John Searle, Alan Turing....perhaps most importantly, Ludwig Wittgenstein....you will LOVE this movie.

I'm tempted to say that this is most Wittgensteinesque movie ever made.

And the movie takes a strong stance. The allusions to Searle's 'Chinese Room' are posited from both the protaganist AND the antagonist. The Turing test itself is a product of Wittgensteinian philosophy and triumphs at the end of the movie. The AI's opportunity to join society IS a turing test....an organic one. It suggests that the turing test is not a METHOD or a CRITERIA that can be critiqued or questioned on an intellectual basis. In this movie....the turing test is an EVENTUALITY.

This is the smartest movie I've seen in years. I'm so sick of Chris Nolan and comic book movies that attempt to be smart without actually saying anything. EVERY SINGLE WORD in this film means something.