Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMarvel's Phase Three.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=687786
687786, Marvel's Phase Three.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-28-14 02:07 PM
Captain America: Civil War- 5/6/16

Doctor Strange- 11/4/16

Guardians of the Galaxy 2- 5/5/17

Thor: Ragnarok- 7/28/17

Black Panther- 11/3/17

Avengers: Infinity War Part 1- 5/4/18

Captain Marvel (!!)- 7/6/18

The Inhumans- 11/2/18

Avengers: Infinity War Part 2- 5/3/19

687787, Home Alone Fist Pump...
Posted by KwesiAkoKennedy, Tue Oct-28-14 02:18 PM
http://youtu.be/P3ALwKeSEYs
687788, RE: Marvel's Phase Three.
Posted by mrshow, Tue Oct-28-14 02:19 PM
Panther is introduced in Captain America: Civil War
687791, That explains the pic with Chadwick and Downey & Pine
Posted by nipsey, Tue Oct-28-14 02:24 PM
https://www.facebook.com/blackfilm/photos/pcb.10152583649008768/10152583648698768/?type=1&theater

>Panther is introduced in Captain America: Civil War
687793, RE: That explains the pic with Chadwick and Downey & *Evans
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Oct-28-14 02:30 PM
I was like, damn they stole Chris Pine, too?!
694904, I was REALLY hoping he'd be introduced in this Avengers. :(
Posted by spades, Tue Mar-24-15 12:45 PM
687789, Love all of this, especially CW and BP.
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Oct-28-14 02:23 PM
Honestly, Marvel could release a movie just showing Tony Stark's wall and the shit would make money, and be good.
687790, Chadwick Boseman is playing Black Panther (link)
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Oct-28-14 02:24 PM
http://www.thewrap.com/chadwick-boseman-to-star-in-marvels-black-panther/
687794, to think I almost gave up hope..lol
Posted by DJ007, Tue Oct-28-14 02:35 PM

Posted by Marauder21, Tue Oct-28-14 02:36 PM
I can't even right now.

BP and Carol? And Inhumans?
687796, YES!!!
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Oct-28-14 02:50 PM
BP
The Inhumans... oh man oh man
687797, who's playin doc Strange?
Posted by astralblak, Tue Oct-28-14 03:02 PM
and is Ironman a wrap in the Avengers movies?
687800, Benedict Cumberbatch
Posted by mrshow, Tue Oct-28-14 03:36 PM
687803, Am I going to have to watch Agents of Shield to keep up now?
Posted by John Forte, Tue Oct-28-14 04:08 PM
687809, where is the dude
Posted by Rockscissorspaper, Tue Oct-28-14 05:14 PM
that always gives the long dissertations about how there will be no BP movie and people hoping for one are idiots, etc? Just interested in his take on this, lol...
687817, cats taking L's like this..lol
Posted by DJ007, Tue Oct-28-14 07:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0wXUIRL.gif

Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Oct-29-14 12:54 PM
Hilarious gif
687812, Some things I'm not seeing discussed:
Posted by Invisiblist, Tue Oct-28-14 06:37 PM
Ant-man's place in things.

THREE Marvel movies in '17 and '18? If they can really maintain the audience that long, then Marvel might officially be the biggest studio of the century.

Two flicks BETWEEN Infinity War pt. 1 and pt. 2? Jesus. So basically everybody from those two movies and everything before is gonna be part 2.

What can they even do after that? Seriously.

This shit is such a huge undertaking that the Harry Potter series is looking like View Askew.

687813, Yeah, I'm worried about audience burnout
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Oct-28-14 06:54 PM
I'm not sure how much of an appetite there's going to be after three Iron Man films, three Thors, three Caps, two Guardians and four Avengers flicks (not to mention Hulk, Carol, Doc Strange, BP, Inhumans and Ant Man) in a ten year span.
687929, I'm more worried about the DC flicks
Posted by Madvillain 626, Fri Oct-31-14 04:27 AM
Not too worried about audience burnout in regards to Marvel, I mean damn we haven't gotten tired of Fast n Furious flicks yet. Plus little kids will gobble up like 30 of these joints and buy all the toys. Mattel is bout to EAT in the next few years.

I could see a few of them DC movies flopping tho. Sinister Six might be the first major one.
687815, RE: Some things I'm not seeing discussed:
Posted by go mack, Tue Oct-28-14 07:03 PM
article I read earlier had Antman with Paul Rudd so was kind of confused too but just searched and see this article says Antman will conclude Phase II

http://screenrant.com/ant-man-movie-phase-2-marvel-cinematic-universe/

687816, A "no duh" comment: it all depends on how good the movies are.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-28-14 07:15 PM
The Thor movies aren't as well received, they've grossed less. Cap 2 and Guardians are very well-received, they're huge.

If the movies stay good, the money stays steady. If the quality drops off, the money drops off.
687824, Dat Stringer Bell knowledge
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Oct-28-14 11:09 PM
>If the movies stay good, the money stays steady. If the
>quality drops off, the money drops off.

687852, haha, Long was like 1 + 1 = 2, 2 - 1 = 1. the end
Posted by astralblak, Wed Oct-29-14 11:51 AM
687821, Dope Panther Poster
Posted by Ausar72, Tue Oct-28-14 08:31 PM
I guess from the event...
http://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2014/beaks/blackpantherposter.jpg

my thoughts,

peace.
687834, Wakanda
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Wed Oct-29-14 08:47 AM
“Black Panther and all of Wakanda is one of the most interesting characters in Marvel history," remarked Feige. "Something I already showed you today contains an Easter egg that leads directly into ‘Black Panther.’ He’s a bit of a prince, he may even become a bit of a king, but it’s all about how this isolationist country meets the world. Maybe it goes well, maybe it doesn’t.”

http://marvel.com/news/movies/23548/chadwick_boseman_to_star_in_marvels_black_panther#ixzz3HXUMAfX4

So as Ausar72 said in the Avengers Age of Ultron post is the easter egg going to be Ulysses Klaw played by Andy Serkis. In the trailer for Avengers Age of Ultron you can speculate that Ultron is "vibraniumizing" himself.

The Vibranium is from Wakanda and sets up the future release of the Black Panther movie.
687928, Wakanda will be in Avengers 2
Posted by Madvillain 626, Fri Oct-31-14 04:23 AM
why else would Whedon have shot in South Africa? I'm guessing Ultron goes there to cop that fresh vibranium, since he aint made of adamantium.
687918, Where's Selah?
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Thu Oct-30-14 05:12 PM
I want them to tell me again that Loki's Scepter couldn't possibly be one of the infinity stones.
694907, ??!?
Posted by Selah, Tue Mar-24-15 12:53 PM
how my name get in this?
687930, Every black boy gon be rockin a BP costume halloween 2018.
Posted by Madvillain 626, Fri Oct-31-14 04:30 AM
It's awesome that they'll have a hero to look up to. White kids got Superman, Batman, Cap, Iron Man, Starlord, etc.
687936, That's why I think Miles Morales is Bendis's greatest creation
Posted by CaptNish, Fri Oct-31-14 09:01 AM
Walking around comic con seeing kids dressed as their own Spiderman was a pretty fucking great feeling.
694905, Yep, I might just walkaround a neighborhood that night just to peep.
Posted by spades, Tue Mar-24-15 12:46 PM
Gonna be a moment.
687931, I'd like to see Brad Bird direct Avengers 3
Posted by Madvillain 626, Fri Oct-31-14 04:32 AM
If Whedon doesn't re-up.
687951, I heard the Russo brothers are first up if Whedon doesn't come back.
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Oct-31-14 03:42 PM
And I am not mad at all.

Bird would be awesome though.
687932, Really surprised there's still no Hulk standalone...
Posted by Af-1, Fri Oct-31-14 05:45 AM
The character was so well-received in Avengers that I thought they'd be scrambling to put one together. Hopefully he'll appear in another movie aside the Avengers ones?

Plus, wasn't Downey recently saying talks were happening for an Iron Man 4? (Suppose that could have morphed into his Civil War appearance though.)

All very exciting though.
687938, A Hulk standalone is difficult because he's too powerful
Posted by John Forte, Fri Oct-31-14 09:59 AM
Anyone who's powerful enough to be a threat to the Hulk would have to bring the Avengers into play. If Hulk, himself was the threat, the Avengers would have to be brought in as well.

Once the MCU is fleshed out and there are dozens of heavy-hitters, you can do another stand-alone Hulk, but not until then.
687939, Honestly, I like Hulk, Hawkeye, Widow as supporting characters only...
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Oct-31-14 10:33 AM
They work better that way. The solo films can focus on the big characters (Stark, Cap, Thor), new characters that go either into franchise (Guardians) or a one-off just as introductions (probably Ant-Man), but not every supporting character needs their own film. That's kind of how I see the Hulk now, and that's cool. That means when he does show up, in an Avengers or something, it'll be much cooler and less 'forced'.
687948, I would love a Hawkeye film written by Matt Fraction
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Oct-31-14 02:47 PM
It wouldn't at all fit in the MCU, but damn would that ever make me happy.
687942, The Edward Norton Hulk was Marvel right?
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Oct-31-14 11:51 AM
Must have been since Tony Stark made the cameo.

That shit was garbage.
687943, I'm pretty sure BOTH Hulk films are MCU canon
Posted by John Forte, Fri Oct-31-14 11:59 AM
687953, Nah, the first isn't.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Oct-31-14 04:04 PM
687954, It was Marvel. And it was garbage.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Oct-31-14 04:05 PM
The worst Marvel movie by a landslide.
687946, I've got a hunch...
Posted by Tiger Woods, Fri Oct-31-14 02:17 PM
...that Hulk is the bridge that takes the Avengers to space ie introduces the Avengers to Thanos/The Guardians
687950, I wouldn't be surprised if more hulk movies pop up
Posted by DJ007, Fri Oct-31-14 03:06 PM
in the next phase ,I so hope they do !!
Posted by spades, Tue Mar-24-15 12:50 PM
Planet Hulk
Wold War Hulk
Indestructible Hulk

which could make a GREAT movie. Sorta like Fight Club, meets 48 hrs.

Sheeeeeiiiidddddttttt - I might just write that spec script, now.

lol

All those movies are going to be RIDICULOUSLY expensive, even by Marvel standards. I just think, logistically, it's better to keep Hulk as a tertiary character - either that, or take a risk and make the jump to animation.
696665, Answer: Oh, So That's Why Marvel Hasn't Made Any More Hulk Movies (swipe)
Posted by j0510, Wed Apr-22-15 01:38 PM
http://io9.com/oh-so-thats-why-marvel-hasnt-made-any-more-hulk-movies-1697783814

Oh, So That's Why Marvel Hasn't Made Any More Hulk Movies
Rob Bricken
4/14/15 11:45am

It seems completely obvious in retrospect, but it took a random interview with Mark Ruffalo to explain the likely reason why there's been no solo Hulk movie yet — it's Universal's fault.

Now, Universal doesn't own the rights to the character of the Incredible Hulk, obviously; Marvel does, which is why he can appear in Avengers movies. But thanks to their partnership with Marvel on 2003's Hulk and 2008's Incredible Hulk movies, it appears Universal still has to be somewhat involved in all the Hulk-specific movies Marvel makes — which means they'd get a cut of the profits, too. Disney can't be too fond of that, and it makes spend that they'd rather spend their resources making Marvel movies where they collect all the earnings instead of dealing with the green goliath.

The good news is that whatever Marvel's deal is with Universal, it's not like they sold Hulk like they sold Spider-Man to Sony or the X-Men to Fox. They basically just promised to cut Universal in when making Hulk movies. We don't know how long this particular contract lasts, how desperately Universal wants to keep this piece of the Marvel pie, or how willing Disney might be to negotiate. As Ruffalo said in his interview with Collider:

As far as a Hulk movie, a standalone Hulk movie, Marvel doesn’t really have the rights to that yet. That’s still Universal’s property, so there’s that issue. That’s a big impediment to moving forward with that. Now I don’t think that’s insurmountable, by the way, but I don’t know where it’s going from here for me.

But at least now we know!
694886, Russo Brothers to Direct 'Avengers: Infinity War' Parts 1 and 2
Posted by j0510, Tue Mar-24-15 08:25 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/russo-brothers-direct-avengers-infinity-783685

Russo Brothers to Direct 'Avengers: Infinity War' Parts 1 and 2

The 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' duo will film the two-parter in one long shoot.

by Austin Siegemund-Broka, Borys Kit
1:40 PM PDT 3/23/2015

Joe and Anthony Russo, who directed Captain America: The Winter Soldier and will return for Captain America: Civil War, are cementing themselves as Marvel’s main movie executors.

The brothers will direct both parts of the studio's Avengers: Infinity War, taking over the billion-dollar franchise from Joss Whedon, who directed the first two Avengers films. (The second one, Avengers: Age of Ultron, opens May 1.) They'll film Infinity War in one long shoot beginning sometime in 2016, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.
No writers are attached, but the brothers will likely reunite with Winter Soldier’s Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. They collaborated on Civil War, which the Russos will begin shooting next month.

The new deal raises the question of the status of the Russos’ deal with Sony. The duo signed a three-year first-look deal with the Culver City-based studio in March. Working on an Avengers movie is an all-consuming endeavor, so how active they will be within that deal remains to be seen.

Civil War, for which the brothers are in preproduction and which is considered to be a mini Avengers movie due to the large cast of heroes, has a May 6, 2016, release date. Infinity War — Part 1 and Infinity War — Part 2 are slated to be released May 4, 2018, and May 3, 2019, respectively.

The Infinity get is a massive feather in the duo's cap and marks the latest in an incredible career trajectory. The Russos began in television comedy, directing episodes of Arrested Development in the early to mid-2000s, and continued to work in the field in 2012 with Happy Endings and Up All Night. It was their work on some of the geeky episodes of Community, however, that led to Winter Soldier — a movie that grossed $717.7 million worldwide.

Badass Digest first reported that the deal was closing.

The Russos are repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman.

694888, If they can keep that heat going they had in Winter Solider
Posted by JiggysMyDayJob, Tue Mar-24-15 09:33 AM
This could be great, those two Cap America movies have been some of the best Marvel films out.
695801, Markus & McFeely Will Write INFINITY WAR (swipe)
Posted by j0510, Sat Apr-11-15 06:35 PM
http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/09/markus-mcfeely-will-write-infinity-war/

Markus & McFeely Will Write INFINITY WAR
Published April 09, 2015 by Devin Faraci

The whole CAPTAIN AMERICA team is bringing the Marvel Cinematic Universe all the way to Infinity.

Well, it's official. Look for this to hit the trades soon - Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely will write Avengers: Infinity War I and II, keeping them teamed up with their Captain America: Civil War and Captain America: The Winter Soldier directors Joe and Anthony Russo. You were wondering who would handle the MCU once Joss Whedon was gone? Why, it's the guys who knocked it out of the park with Winter Soldier. I had reported that they were in talks before; it's a done deal now.

Markus and McFeely have been a major part of the MCU from Phase One, writing Captain America: The First Avenger. They also wrote on Thor: The Dark World and created Agent Carter for ABC. Having them be there to wrap up Phase Three (and the whole MCU? Kevin Feige's contract is going to be up around 2018/2019, and while they have a Phase Four planned - with films through 2021 on the big white board - Infinity War makes for a nice place for everybody involved to step off and wave goodbye) makes a lot of sense, and reaffirms Marvel as a studio that works like the old Marvel Bullpen, with lots of in-house people doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

What this means in the immediate run is that Captain America: Civil War is even more likely to set up a lot of the stuff that will pay off in Infinity War - after all, the same team is making all three films. While Thor: Ragnarok is supposedly taking the universe-shaking role that Winter Soldier had in Phase Two, I would expect Civil War to help redefine the landscape that will lead to Infinity War.

I couldn't be happier - Markus and McFeely are strong writers, legit fans of the properties and they work well with the Russos and Marvel. I keep waiting for Marvel to finally fuck it up - I really thought Ant-Man and the Edgar Wright debacle was the end - but it looks like they have my goodwill all the way through 2019.
695802, I don't know how they could pull it off, but that Ultimates universe Reed
Posted by Castro, Sat Apr-11-15 07:46 PM
Reed Richards in that universe was such a badass and Marvel fucked up the ending of that storyline. If they could rework it and get FF back from Fox, he would be a great villain.
696666, Nicole Perlman & Meg LeFauve to Write Marvel's 'Captain Marvel'
Posted by j0510, Wed Apr-22-15 01:48 PM
http://marvel.com/news/movies/24469/nicole_perlman_meg_lefauve_to_write_marvels_captain_marvel

Nicole Perlman & Meg LeFauve to Write Marvel's 'Captain Marvel'

Marc Strom
Published
Apr 20, 2015
Updated
Apr 20, 2015

Duo to pen Carol Danvers' first solo film, in theaters 2018!

Nicole Perlman & Meg LeFauve will together write Marvel’s “Captain Marvel,” in theaters November 2, 2018, bringing Carol Danvers to the big screen in her first solo cinematic adventure.

Fans will recognize Perlman as the co-writer of Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy,” last year’s smash hit introducing audiences to Star-Lord and his crew, while LeFauve most recently co-wrote Disney•Pixar’s next original film “Inside Out,” which will premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May before heading to theaters June 19.

Stay tuned to Marvel.com for the latest on “Captain Marvel” and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as it breaks!
719644, Infinity War begins production:
Posted by Castro, Fri Feb-10-17 11:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOzrChqmd0
719658, PUT IT IN MY VEINS RIGHT NOW
Posted by Madvillain 626, Sat Feb-11-17 07:35 PM
719662, I really don't know what made me more hype
Posted by CaptNish, Sat Feb-11-17 11:01 PM
Seeing Pratt, Tom and RDJ chillin' like that on set OR the Rocket and Thor concept art!
719670, RE: Infinity War begins production:
Posted by xangeluvr, Sun Feb-12-17 03:53 PM
I hate to be making the comparison, but this video shows precisely why these marvel movies work so much better than the current crop of DC movies. They been building this universe and characters since 2008. Just makes you see how rushed the DC universe seems to be.
719672, I bet Thanos kills Stark
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun Feb-12-17 06:40 PM
And I think Evans and Pratt could carry Marvel moving forward
719674, It would be best, it seems.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Feb-12-17 07:29 PM
It always struck me as odd that RDJ was such an action star. He had a knack for choosing offbeat, quirky roles before he was Iron Man. He definitely worked outside of the studio system. That made his casting as Iron Man so out of the box because it seemed out of the ordinary, that he would be a part of a blockbuster, but obviously his skills and personality fit Tony Stark like a glove. (Bad pun.)

But he's been getting cabin fever it seems in regards to the Marvel movies and he's almost 60, right? So it is time for him to move on.

Pratt and Evans are still in the age range that they seem like they're able to carry the franchises for a while, but they're also motivated to be part of the series, maybe because they've always been studio guys and don't have the itch to be an capital-A actor.

I think Evans plays Captain America well (I've never read comics so I have no idea if Evans is bringing a sense of humor that isn't in the comic.) and I like Pratt enough. They don't have RDJ's charisma or star power (at least not yet) but the Marvel movies are the attraction in their own right and lacking a star seems like it would make the story able to cater to a wider set of characters.
719677, RDJ is 51
Posted by justin_scott, Mon Feb-13-17 01:46 AM
719705, Oh.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Feb-13-17 10:53 PM
I don't know where I got 60 from since he is a Brat Pack actor and they all came of age in the early, mid 80's.

I thought he looked great for his late fifties. Lol.
719683, damn shame Marvel can't get the mutants back from Fox
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Mon Feb-13-17 09:41 AM
There are so many a list mutant characters we haven't seen on the big screen (or seen well)
719686, I do think Thanos is going to drop a few, but...
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Feb-13-17 11:32 AM
I don't think Iron Man will be one of them.

Black Widow and Hawkeye are expendable and would have impact.

Cap would also hit hard, and he has a replacement (Bucky) or 2 (Falcon) to take over if need before bringing Steve Rogers back.

Whatever the case, the movie is going to be INCREDIBLE.
719725, hell, at this point i'm hoping for at least one memorable death
Posted by Hellyeah, Wed Feb-15-17 08:33 AM
in 10 years we didn't get none of that..not even in a movie called "civil war"

i know this ain't no game of thrones, but at least switch it up a bit (and no, quicksilver doesn't count lol)
719691, Evans'll be gone before RDJ
Posted by CaptNish, Mon Feb-13-17 01:57 PM
There's already "Cap dying" rumblings
719720, aren't they all out after this?
Posted by gumz, Tue Feb-14-17 03:05 PM
719727, Originally Evans was like yea i'm looking forward to something else
Posted by Dae021, Wed Feb-15-17 09:54 AM
Then I don't know if he checked his account or what, but all of a sudden he was like "i'll be back for as many times as they'll have me"
719730, lmaooooo he needs to hold on to this for as long as he can
Posted by gumz, Wed Feb-15-17 10:29 AM
they are actually making quality films and his career pre-Cap wasn't really shit. Maybe Sam Jackson sat him down and gave him the real.
719738, Fam, if I'm in a Marvel movie i'm doing EVERYTHING I can
Posted by Dae021, Thu Feb-16-17 10:58 AM
I know its tough signing those Disney contracts so it makes life outside of making GOOGOBS of money a little restrictive. Fam this is a ONCE in a life time opportunity, you've got to ride it for as long as they'll do it.

I know they tried to get Cumberbatch in to slide into that Lead RDJ currently has, but its not going to happen. Just pay them what they want, since they got all of them on the cheap in the beginning.
719734, RDJ seemed to be in the same mindset after IM3...
Posted by Af-1, Wed Feb-15-17 05:08 PM
but something changed for him too and he seems all in again - he wanted to do IM4 before they pitched the concept of Civil War and then there's Homecoming too.
719744, Dude threw out a stupid number (50 MIllion)
Posted by Dae021, Thu Feb-16-17 01:34 PM
Marvel was like bet, you want that in 20's or 100's?

So then he realized oh I can do this a LOT MORE times then.
719735, Wasn't the rumour a few months ago that Hulk dies?
Posted by Af-1, Wed Feb-15-17 05:11 PM
719745, I heard that too, but coming off of Ragnorak we'll see
Posted by Dae021, Thu Feb-16-17 01:35 PM
He's just getting back into the picture.
719778, My nipples have never been harder
Posted by LA2Philly, Sat Feb-18-17 12:30 PM
My goodness
721321, Boden & Fleck are helming Captain Marvel
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Apr-19-17 12:35 PM
Marvel taps another indie director (or directors, in this case) to helm Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. There have been some complaints that action scenes have been hurt by the decision to go with directors not known for big set pieces; we'll see how it goes here. Interesting choice. They did Half Nelson and Mississippi Grind.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/captain-marvel-directors-anna-boden-ryan-fleck-1201994270/

"Inside Out” scribe Meg LeFauve and Nicole Perlman are currently writing the script, which follows Carol Danvers, an Air Force pilot whose DNA is fused with that of an alien during an accident. The resulting alteration imbues her with the superpowers of strength, energy projection, and flight.
721323, I dont know if I agree to this
Posted by BigReg, Wed Apr-19-17 01:25 PM
>There have been
>some complaints that action scenes have been hurt by the
>decision to go with directors not known for big set pieces;
>we'll see how it goes here. Interesting choice. They did Half
>Nelson and Mississippi Grind.

In the Marvel camp im usually surprised to see how well those directors d going from 10 mil budget to 100 mil. Problem is that some of the things they had in the indie space (emotional weight to said action scenes in particular) might fall short.

721332, Agree
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Apr-19-17 04:44 PM
I'm surprised by how well these directors handle the action scenes. If anything the only thing lacking in all these movies are good villains, regardless of the director.
721336, I'm neither here nor there on that point
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Apr-19-17 05:55 PM
Just something I've heard a few times and thought that this hire would give those people pause.

Although, in general, I feel like the Marvel template is pretty standard. These are really script driven action scenes. (Ant-Man, the Civil War Hangar Fight, the Dr. Strange Astal Projection fight, etc.) Not much visual creativity or innovation but I'm not sure how much Marvel really wants.