Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThere's a scene in this movie that takes it to a higher level
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=686941&mesg_id=711696
711696, There's a scene in this movie that takes it to a higher level
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun May-08-16 09:57 PM
And that's the scene of Stark showing up at Peter Parker's apartment and sharing a 5 minute conversation with him. There's so much real humor and heart in that scene that the excitement became palpable in the theater. A little kid next to me, couldn't have been older than 5 or 6, said "he's Spider-Man!" when he shot the web in the bed room. Oh man that whole sequence works so well and lights the fuse for The Fight, easily the most entertaining15 minutes of any superhero movie ever.

You think about what they were able to do here and it makes the movie that much more of a feat. Besides making something that was a hell of a lot of fun to watch, they achieved in

- introducing Black Panther and giving him a motive that anyone could empathize with

- introducing a new Spider-Man in less than five minutes and in a way that feels so refreshingly contemporary (OF COURSE he would be a viral sensation!)

- giving the villain a valid REASON that wasn't just "F Tony Stark"

- adding a whole new layer of angst to Tony Stark that didn't feel ham fisted. We've watched that character for nearly 10 years, and yet still when the big reveal goes down we can't help but feel for him. Arrogant, rich, and still capable of being wounded like anyone else.

The one thing I found random was Black Widow's sudden change of heart in the airplane hanger, but maybe that was foreshadowed beforehand or explained after and I just missed it. Her flip seemed to lack explanation whereas everything up to that point had been painted so clearly; meanwhile, in a fight pitting two sides of five or so people against each other, there's not a single player in the scene who doesn't have a logical "horse in the race" reason.

I don't know where they go from here. I mean I guess it will be fun when the Guardians eventually meet the Avengers, or if this new Spider-Man ever cameos in the Hell's Kitchen Netflix universe or whatever (unlikely I know, just thinking of ideas that could raise the bar.)

This is the best movie they've made to date, and they've made some pretty kick ass flicks so far. We'll see if Infinity War can continue the run, but if it can't that's ok- at least we'll have gotten this masterpiece in the run up to that point.