Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI've been reading it to my 7 year old
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=686359&mesg_id=693094
693094, I've been reading it to my 7 year old
Posted by chrisP, Thu Feb-19-15 02:21 PM
Just the 1st trade so far, but he really loves it (so do I). I read through it first and didn't see anything in there that was too inappropriate for him. We also read Ms. Marvel together but there are some things I self-censor as we go along (I particularly remember Kamala's mom warning her about date rape in one issue and kinda didn't want to get into that with him at this point). He reads his own comics but those are two he likes for me to read aloud because I do voices and he REALLY likes to just look at the art (he could do way worse than Alphona & Allred in that department).

I think the only reason SS is marked T+ is for marketing. They know the adult comics audience is less likely to pick up a book labelled All Ages because that equals Kids to them. Even if the content is the same, the 30 somethings in the shop don't want to be seen as buying kids comics for themselves. All ages really should mean ALL ages and I think SS definitely represents that and could be rated that way.

Coming back to comics these last few years and seeing how the access for my son is vs. the way it was for me is a little frustrating. I'm all for comics being a medium that is not aimed just at kids but 2 big things irk me.

1) There are no monthly books (that I'm aware of) from Marvel/DC that are in continuity that kids know are okay for them and can just grab and feel like they're invested in those larger universes. When I was nine and reading New Mutants I didn't feel like I was reading a kids book (at least not till Brett Blevins started drawing and I stopped reading) but I also didn't feel like I was reading anything that I was gonna get in trouble for from my heavily Catholic parents. I was being introduced to topics that were a little more lower case "a" adult - relationship stuff, etc - but I wasn't going to see somebody's face getting cut off their head. Their isn't any in-continuity Batman for a 9 year old to read and he is by far the most popular character among 9 year olds. Silver Surfer and, to some degree, Ms. Marvel (and probably Squirrel Girl and a few others I haven't read yet) could be marketed to a wider range audience but as soon as there's a whiff of "okay for kids" the older fans won't buy it.

2) As a kid, I got all my comics at the gas station up the road while my parent's were pumping gas. I have a hard time imagining any kids finding comics unless their parents are regular readers (like the folks here) that go to their local shop. Now that the Direct market is largely the only way to get comics how are kids supposed to find them? When I was 11 I started riding my bike the 3 miles to the gas station and would spend an hour on the floor going through all the comics on the rack (could generally only get 1 or 2 a month). That's how I became aware of other stories and got interested in trying out other books (Alpha Flight! West Coast Avengers!) Even if I do bring my kid to the shop I have to hurry him past the "regular" comics to the kids section because so much of it is either girls with giant boobs or lots and lots of blood. How's a kid supposed to find Silver Surfer amidst that?