Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectlotsa shit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=686359&mesg_id=690866
690866, lotsa shit
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Jan-07-15 11:33 AM
1. Goddamn, the flu sucks. My oldest got sick Dec. 10, my duaghter is the most recent casualty and today was the first day that all 3 kids have gone to school and both parents have gone to work since then. Lisa & I had it all Christmas week and my God did i feel fucking terrible... still have a bit of the cough and there's some question of whether a bacterial infection took advantage of my repressed immune system and colonized my lungs as well. Everyone got the flu shot except lazy me who hadn't gotten around to it, and in at least the kids' case it helped lessen the impact. My wife & I were sick as dogs though.

2. BUCKSHOT rules, my dudes.
a. Check out the album cover my band comissioned: https://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns
b. DEATH TRIP #2 - aww yeah. I want to dig up #1 and reread them both together. Love it though, psychedelic and funny and scifi and now a little murder mystery (?) all at the same time.
c. RHYME TRAVELERS #2 - "Daddy, why does FLOWWWTRON only speak in rhymes?" Also if there is a Bizzy tee in the making, put me down for 3 kids' sizes and an adult.

3. Pets
a. Did I tell you dudes that one of our chickens died? She was clearly dying in the morning, so we pulled her out of the run so the other chickens wouldn't eat her, and of course when we opened the run all the other chickens went apeshit and took off so we just left 'em out for the day. I went home at lunch to bury the poor dying girl, who was indeed already deceased, and found that another bird had been gotten by a crfitter - a big pile of feathers around a carcass denuded from the breast up to the no-longer--existent head. Probably a hawk.
b. This of course happened three days after putting one of our cats down. Rough week for the kids.
c. Looks like our last remaining hamster is on his way out as well. Still kicking, but only with half his body, like he had a little stroke or something.

4. Library books
a. The Motherless Oven - interesting, not really my thing. Dystopian-ish type thing where you know your deathday ahead of time, you build your own parents, and it rains knives. With teen drama.
b. The Twelve Gems - fun little indie space opera, black and white, reminded me a lot of the few Metal Hurlant comics I've read.
c. something else I'm forgetting but that I know I read in one sitting

5. COMICS
a. Mind MGMT - MERU vs. the ERASER, fuck yeah!
b. East of West - alright, I don't really have a feel for who this Thomas guy is but this was awesome. Guess I need to re-read.
c. Black Science - starting to sprawl a little too much for me. Still good though.
d. Memetic #3 - possibly the best, most succinct apocalypse story I've ever read. #1 was the best, #2 a slight lag, #3 a whiz bang finale. Last panel felt like a MILD copout but it was so out of left field I loved it anyhow.
e. Rasputin #3 - loving this. Not as strong as #1 or #2 but the I've always like the way Grecian plays with folklore in his writing & this is no exception though it's mostly stuff I'm unfamiliar with.

Also super excited about this Abigail & the Snowman #1 from Roger Langridge but have been saving it to read with the kids.

Happy new year, y'all -