Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCoupla reviews after dropping too much money
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=686359&mesg_id=689473
689473, Coupla reviews after dropping too much money
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Dec-04-14 12:08 PM
ODY-C... not finished yet, but didn't really do too much for me. *Yawn* I'm guessing this is kind of the way you felt about Cassanova, I think it was, when Fraction wrote it. As much as I'm enjoying Low & Black Science this guy's definitely not all hits with me. Still have to find a way to read Fear Agent.

Cloaks #4 - my #1 book for pulp fun, I think. Somewhat predictable ending, but plenty of twists otherwise. A+

Unwritten Apocalypse - to be concluded and that's a good thing. The Apocalypse part of it has been better, but man even though the part between War of Words and Apocalypse wasn't outright *bad* it definitely made the series feel bloated and disconnected in a lot of ways.

Low #5 - interesting developments. Didn't see the twist coming. Looking forward to Gorm's back story if we get one. Wonder if that's it for Marik; Tajo is a lost cause. I think. I'm predicting that in the face of impending disaster we wind up with some sort of situation in which Stel and Roln have to team up. Really good read though. A-

Butterfly #3 - brutal! She's cold. I've been enjoying the intrigue & espionage type books a lot lately and this is among the better ones. Makes me wonder whatever happened to Where Is Jake Ellis? A-

Little Nemo in Slumberland #2 - Read this with the kids last night. Love it. Might have to get one of those giant books of McKay's OG Nemo for them for Christmas. The Complete is on sale... $125 though! A-

Memetic #2 - while #1 was about the scariest shit I've read, #2 kinda brings the zombie apocalypse aspect of it back as the main focus. Some good character development type drama; I'll still pick up #3 since that's where it's ending, but unfortunately #1 was so good it's indubitable that the series will have peaked early. B

Roche Limit #3 - sci-fi crime seems to be a new thing - this, Copperhead, The Fuse... Copperhead's probably the best but I've enjoyed this one quite a bit as well. B

Rasputin #2 - hell yeah! This is a lot of fun. Rasputin's not usually presented as a sympathetic character at all, which makes a nice surprise but even if this were just about Joe Schmo it'd still be fun. Wondering if Ras is going to turn heel somehow somewhere. A

Trees #7 - this book feels oddly shimmery - there's something about it that's atmospheric, even when a relative amount of action is happening. Still have no clues what the trees are up to but the sprawling character cast remains the motivating factor. A/A-

Wayward #4 - second pick after Cloaks for good teen pulp fun. Outstanding use of Japanese setting, good characters (esp Ayane), makes me want to put on http://www.amazon.com/Marginal-Moon-Soul-Flower/dp/B0000089NE. Lots & lots of fun. A

Zero #12 - damn, man. I need to re-read this whole series and try plotting it out. The individual issues read like great one-shots. The way they tie together, though, it feels like I'm kind of feeling my way through that, making some connections in my head w/o being sure if they're right. Didn't recognize the guys on the last page - anyone else? A