Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAnybody reading Ms. Marvel?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=686359&mesg_id=688899
688899, Anybody reading Ms. Marvel?
Posted by chrisP, Fri Nov-21-14 03:13 PM
I've gone full on evil trade waiter except for Ms Marvel, it's the only monthly I faithfully pick up. The book really won me over when they had a fill in artist for 2 issues and I still loved it. Adrian Alphona's designs were the thing that got me to check the book out and his art kept me on it, he shoves so many fun references into the nooks and crannies of every panel. Those 2 issues made me realize that the writing is just so engaging that my love for it isn't so specific to him but is equally shared with G. Willow Wilson. Didn't hurt that the fill in artist, Jake Wyatt, was also pretty great

I've tried and just can't get into the straight up super hero books anymore, especially the ones that are sporting that 90s Image art. I get why people like 'em, just not for me as a rapidly getting old man. This book, She Hulk, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Silver Surfer feel like they're drawing more on indie asthetics in the larger context of the Marvel U and I can get behind that.

And now Lockjaw is her pet. I mean, c'mon!

I took a chance and started reading it to my 7 year old, skipping over some bad words and a few mentions of date rape, etc (things teens in Jersey City may have to deal with). Kamala Khan has quickly risen up the ranks to be one of his favorite heroes. He had "his best dream ever" that he was patrolling Jersey City with her and shouts "Embiggen" at me from time to time. Good stuff.