Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCOTM: FALL/WINTER COMICBOOK CHAT WITH, UATU!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=686359
686359, COTM: FALL/WINTER COMICBOOK CHAT WITH, UATU!
Posted by Uatu The Watcher, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
HEAR YE! HEAR YE! EIGHT MONTHS LATER, UATU IS BACK. WHATCHU DONUT KNOW THOUGH IS THIS BE, UATU CHICKENPANTS. UATU CP, IS FROM ANOTHER EARTH I.E. ONE THAT, THANOS AIN'T KNOCK YET! WE GOOD, NAMOR.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE LEAVES ARE TURNING, THE SNOW WILL SOON BE FALLING AND, REED IS STILL A PRICK. I SEE YOU, 616 SUSAN.
UATU CHICKENPANTS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> YOUR MAN.
FACT.
WHAT ARE ALL OF YOU GROSS LITTLE COSPLAYING EARTHLINGS MOST HYPED FOR? SHIT IS GETTING REAL IN THE 4-COLORED WORLDS!
TALK ABOUT YOUR FUNNY BOOKS BELOW. PROVE TO I, UATU CHICKENPANTS THAT HUMANS ARE ATLEAST GOOD FOR SOMETHING IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THE UNIVERSE.
COMICS TALKED ABOUT BELOW...

Poll question: COTM: FALL/WINTER COMICBOOK CHAT WITH, UATU!

Poll result (3 votes)
JUSTICE LEAGUE led by, LEX LUTHOR! (1 votes)Vote
WHO CARES if, WOLVERINE is dead? (0 votes)Vote
DEM VENGERS fighting, DAT REED and DEM CABAL! (1 votes)Vote
HUSH, LITTLE BATMAN don't say a word. We beat you. (1 votes)Vote
LADY THOR, knockin on HEAVEN's door. She a GOD! (0 votes)Vote
ROBOTS AND MUSTACHES!!!!!!!!! Oh my. (0 votes)Vote

686360, On BATMAN ETERNAL...
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Oct-05-14 10:00 AM
This title goes hard in the paint!!!
HUSH, is on takeover mode and, BRUCEY is feeling the pain.
The story is well-plotted, intriguing and, fucking fun.
I am excited for each issue to drop and it is usually the first book I read each month.
And, R.M. GUERA (of Scalped) has been killing it these past two issues. The man was born to draw the BATFAM! His rendition of, HUSH is straight scary!
The story though. Martial law has been declared, mobs/gangs are murdering each other, Killer Croc is fighting demons in the sewers, the new commisioner is an evil pawn, CLUEMASTER is actually COOLMASTER, Selena is about to get mobbed up etc.
Allot is going on and the BATMAN MYTHOS are being strengthened, rejuvenated and, reinvigorated as a direct result. Not that they needed it. SNYPER, handling biz.
Hands down, this story fucks with anything, THE GOD wrote BAT-RELATED on his best day.
Stop sleeping, B. SHELLZ
686361, i was with you until the blasphemy.
Posted by shockzilla, Sun Oct-05-14 12:14 PM
FOH.
686401, IMAGE running the world, right now! ((LONG))
Posted by Scarface_7, Mon Oct-06-14 08:28 AM
So....

The Walking Dead's time jump has been hella awesome so far. SPOILERS

'Talking zombies' that apparently arent zombies. Wouldnt if be cool if they were led by Michonne?

Invincible is still running strong. Along with CHEW, its the most consistent thing on the shelf. Robot Ragnarok commences and all of earth is the diorama for destruction. Awesome. Is Mark really gonna be a bitch about this and just be like, OK? Guess we'll see... Oh, and of course Black Invincible (whats his name bulletproof or whateva) was a straight traitor. Sike, dont really care, but I did Note it....

Alex and Ada is simplistically stunning. Stylish. So DC (the city not the comic co.) I LOVE it. Cant really see where this arc is going....but I'm down...

CHEW-- I feel like no one reads it yet few comics have I enjoyed more. Layman's art and the artists work really gel well together. Rather perfect in its execution. Hope the TV bit is true and comes to light cuz I feel like Chew is an easy hit for the mainstream. It's gonna pop, watch....

POWERS is back but doesnt feel like Powers to me...Uh I like Christian back with some juice. Still love Deena but something just feels off...dunno. Glad Retro Girl has 'returned'

SAGA-----> IS AWESOMELY Light years ahead of everything. I would go on about it but everyone else is. If you arent caught up on SAGA you are losing on life. You are, just own it and rectify it, ASAP

They're canceling NEW WARRIORS after only 12 books. Well....it did kinda suck. Kinda but not totally. Now I feel like I'll never see the radical Speedball or even lame-o Justice for a good long while. Least NOVA's solo book seems to be doing well (Guardians of the Galaxy 18 & 19 are pretty much a Nova/Starlord story...and its HEAT) I will continue to long for what could've been.

I cant find Southern Bastards 4 ANYWHERE and it upsets me (still havent read it yet)

JJJ is shocking me in Miles Morales Spidey he didnt just do what I think he did, did he?

All I got for now...
686504, JUSTICE LEAGUE #34
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Oct-07-14 12:19 PM
Why does, Owlman want, Superwoman's baby?
Any theories?
And yes, read it again.
Hands downs the best single issue DC has published since the NEW 52 Reboot.
686581, Marvel movie wars spills over to comics: Possible cancellation of F4
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Oct-08-14 01:02 PM
Long story sorta short: Marvel wants ownership of all its characters again to make their own movies. Things are less acrimonious with Sony over Spider-Man, but they're close to declaring all out war with Fox over Fantastic Four and X-Men.

Looks like Marvel plans on cancelling Fantastic Four by April 2015, so there won't be any F4 comics on the shelves for the August film release. And apparently X-Men writers aren't allowed to create any new characters in the comics, since they automatically would become property of Fox for film purposes.

Of course, I highly doubt the F4 are dead in comic form; they'll be back by 2016 at the latest, and if Sony blinks, they won't be gone at all. But still, gotta love corporate greed.

Link to the story Onion AV Club story:

http://www.avclub.com/article/marvels-dealings-spider-man-x-men-and-fantastic-fo-210241?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default
686601, whatever gets me the best possible INFINITY GAUNTLET movie tbh
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Oct-08-14 05:23 PM
686719, No more XMEN, F4 or PETER PARKER SPIDERMAN.
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Oct-10-14 10:55 AM
HENCE...SECRET WARS AND HICKMAN'S OVERALL PLAN!
Replace Marvel Mainstays with *NEW* VERSIONS OF CHARACTERS, phase-out the old.
686599, Y'all see Key & Peele's Stan Lee sketch
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Oct-08-14 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00LIsgWrKPs

Kinda mean but also kinda great
686646, Avengers: fine, but let's get on with it
Posted by bshelly, Thu Oct-09-14 09:41 AM
enough buildup. get to splosions
686650, i stopped reading a few issues back, cause of this
Posted by Calico, Thu Oct-09-14 09:51 AM
i have the issues, just haven't read em....i'm still checking for NA though, they keep it movin over there...
686712, SPOILERS!!! Time Runs Out ends with an ALL-NEW...
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Oct-10-14 10:25 AM

SECRET WARS!
Wooooooooooooooooo.
686742, For realz, I called the Beyonder is the big bad in this run two weeks ago
Posted by bshelly, Fri Oct-10-14 07:58 PM
As soon as I saw Molecule Man, I said, damn, Hickman's tryna to make a serious villain out of Captain Curl.
686657, EEEEEEEEndgame Part 1 and Axis
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Oct-09-14 12:06 PM
ENDGAME PART 1
A JOKER-CONTROLLED JLA vs A BATTLE-RAVAGED BRUCEY?
So down. This issue was fucking awesome. End of the day, Bruce is the baddest motherfucker out. Nobody can fuck with him.

AXIS #1
Lots of words. Somewhat shoddy dialogue. Existing plot-points that never existed prior. Still though? Red Onslaught, STARK SECRET WEAPONS and, CARNAGE! Down.
686675, Axis was silly as fuck to me, and I'm all for 'event' but this here
Posted by Scarface_7, Thu Oct-09-14 02:45 PM
SMH cant condone this bullshit. The words were, indeed, horrible...
686711, It reeked of the 90s and the dialog was unbearable.
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Oct-10-14 10:24 AM
SMIDGEN use aside, I dug it. Fast, cray and, totally obtuse.
686682, RE: Axis
Posted by Boogiedwn, Thu Oct-09-14 03:24 PM
Rough start might just read the cliff notes if #2 is wack
686702, Anybody reading Dark Horses shared comic universe with...
Posted by phenompyrus, Fri Oct-10-14 09:35 AM
Aliens, Predator, and Prometheus?
686713, This week in BATMAN ETERNAL...
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Oct-10-14 10:26 AM
Um, totally lost me. I feel like I am in a GANG WAR TORNADO.
Can someone provide cliffnotes por favor?
686790, KLARION was COMICBOOK EBOLA!
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Oct-12-14 10:38 AM
So dissapointed. KLARION, has been a fave of mine ever since Seven Soldiers. I was beyond stoked for this new series.

Read it (or atleast tried to) and my eyes started bleeding as my brain commenced to meltdown.
686865, Snyder. Jock. WYTCHES #1.
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Oct-13-14 10:17 AM
yesssssiiiirrrrrrrr

686940, was cool to me too. Found it weird that the movie option was
Posted by Scarface_7, Tue Oct-14-14 09:04 AM
greenlit last week off the strength of one ish? Wonder whats happening behind the scenes. But this is gonna be a huge property apparently. 'Pledged means pledged' That line was fucked and funny at the Same Damn Time...
687064, Love his horror stuff
Posted by Paps_Smear, Wed Oct-15-14 01:26 PM
After the first few pages of this I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series and a monthly is just way too long to wait!

Only thing that fell off for me at the end was The Wake. Other than that I really enjoy his horror.
687131, Axis 2 was better. Loved the Nova/Rogue thing
Posted by Scarface_7, Thu Oct-16-14 07:28 AM
Uncanny XMen made me smile by the end. Didnt know where this arc was going but feel better about it now.

Miles Morales is Dope though I feel like not a lot of ppl are reading this?
687134, it was better
Posted by Boogiedwn, Thu Oct-16-14 07:44 AM
That shaky start wasn't good, I'm still on-board for now

- New Avengers still better though

Death of Wolvie was aight not worth that price tag though

Still reading Miles (thought Jonah had'em)

Daredevil is still good
687216, Issue 2 was very solid.
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Oct-17-14 10:34 AM
The catatonic, STARK opening was so well-played. SAM, seems to have major beef with, Tony. RED SKULL, looks badass. Thoroughly impressed.
687140, Wait NEW AVENGERS!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Oct-16-14 08:40 AM
The Avengers gave TEAM THANOS Wakanda and DEM SHIELDVENGERS are mad that DAT LUMINATTI is fighting them?
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
BLACK PANTHER needs to exact his revenge on NAMOR stat!
687143, DOOM, said EVERYTHING DIES. So it shall be!
Posted by bshelly, Thu Oct-16-14 09:10 AM
DOOM
687217, DOOM, is about to play COSMIC CHESS!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Oct-17-14 10:35 AM
GAME ON.
687219, LOL..i was so lost
Posted by Calico, Fri Oct-17-14 11:01 AM

...BP DOES need a win...he's gonna snap any minute now...

Cho was awesome too
687218, JUSTICE LEAGUE is MUTHAF*CKING FIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Oct-17-14 10:37 AM
COLD, about to snap. LEX, making moves and then f*cking up. The BRUCE vs LEX shit is dynoooooooooooomite! GJ, back to killing shit.
687510, Yo UATU, got an, AVENGERS QUESTION for you. SPOILERS
Posted by bshelly, Wed Oct-22-14 04:16 PM
How can SUE STORM betray an AMERICAN HERO for that STRETCHY GOOFBALL?
687534, SHELLS OF THE B, UATU WAS SLUMBERING.
Posted by Uatu The Watcher, Thu Oct-23-14 12:12 AM
BETTER QUESTION...
WHO IS YOU TO BOTHER EYE, UATU?
BUT, UATU IS GENEROUS. SHELL OF THE B, THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE.
SUSAN, BANGS FISH MEN WITH WINGS ON THEY FEETS. AMERICAN HEROS MEAN NOTHING TO, SUSAN OF THE STORMS. UATU, HAS TWO STRETCHY BALLS ON HER CHIN RIGHT NOW. THAT STRETCHY GOOFBALL OF A SO-CALLED HUMAN MAN EH...LONG DICK? AMERICAN WHAT NOW?
687594, Memetic #1 was about as scary as could be + REVIEWS
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Oct-24-14 09:54 AM
Good Times Sloth was a pretty freaky #1 in part because the idea is new, it's definitely scary as hell, and hey, bleeding from the eyes before choking people out. Oh yeah, SPOILERS. I just hope it doesn't devolve into a typical post-apocalyptic zombies, Crossed, you-name-it type of thing, but the stage set after #1 is definitely a possibility.

This reminds me though, they show Obama getting memefied (though they don't name him, it's clearly him). This a few weeks after Manhattan Projects's incredibly detailed panel of John F. Kennedy's head exploding. Not sure how I feel about the appropriateness of either one.

Other books:

Stray Bullets uber alles - just about the best thing I'm reading now. Poor Eli. Poor Ginny. A+++

Butterfly #2 - a little confusing with parts of the story being told in reverse. Not as good as #1, but still good espionage material. B/B+

Unwritten - kinda ho hum. Still enjoying it well enough of course, but the series really shoulda gone out on the high note War of Words. C/C+

Multiversity #3 - I'm enjoying it. BUT I pretty much fail to see the interconnectedness of the various stories, especially this week. The stories seem to be straightforward but I feel like the levels Morrison is trying to imply in the story just aren't really coming together for me. B

Starlight #6 - loved it. A
687607, am i the only one who likes this "new" mutant?
Posted by Calico, Fri Oct-24-14 12:56 PM
his powers are crazy and i kinda dig his line of thought....

on another note, i hope Wolvy stays gone for a few years....yeah, i know what's gonna happen, but i can still hope...
688660, Hickman has been planning this since 2009
Posted by bshelly, Mon Nov-17-14 05:46 AM
Go directly to Marvel Unlimited and read Dark Reign F4
688726, HickGOD
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Nov-18-14 11:10 AM
MARVEL SECRET WARS.
Gonna be that super duper lava flame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOOM ALLAH, is going to lead the charge. Watch. HICKGOD, loves... DOOM MUFFUCKING ALLAH!
688706, wow its been more than a year since i hit the comic shop
Posted by LES, Tue Nov-18-14 01:28 AM
so of course i went nuts over the weekend

TMNT #25-39 to get caught back up
All New Ultimates TPB
The Wicked & the Divine TPB
Seconds
Suicide Squad TPB
688714, Interested to hear what you think of wicked and divine
Posted by bshelly, Tue Nov-18-14 08:58 AM
688802, my impression
Posted by LES, Wed Nov-19-14 11:14 PM
>

the colors are gorgeous, props to the colorist. its been the highlight for me.

the art is great as well, the character design has been fun too.

the concept drew me in instantly.

the story. i have no qualms with being dropped into the middle of a gripping mystery. but as it stands right now i'm on the fence about continuing. the story starts off promising but stalls out(IMO) until the very end. i guess this mythological whodunit is supposed to be the appeal but Laura couldnt carry the issues I read.

what was your take?
688727, THE HUMANS. TOOTH AND CLAW.
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Nov-18-14 11:11 AM
ANIMALS WITH MAGIC POWERS FALLING TO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARTH!

MONKEY ANIMALS IN A MOTORCYCLE GANG. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGBUSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
688740, Anthropomorphism on a tear lately
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Nov-18-14 03:37 PM
Enjoyed Tooth & Claw #1, been thoroughly loving Wild's End.

Was actually thinking Tooth & Claw would be something my kid would go crazy for - he's big into anthropomorphic fantasy - until it got to the 'vulvular vorftex' or whatever it was. Then I noticed the 'for mature readers' tag on the back cover. Oh well.
688883, TOOTH & CLAW = MUST COPPAGE ASAP
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Nov-21-14 12:09 PM
Makes animals people that live in magic and....THAT WOULD BE TELLING!
Buffalo savages on the come up!

Potential LAVA flows.
688729, And SPIDER-VERSE and BATMAN stay fucking CRAYAWESOME!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Nov-18-14 11:36 AM
Fact.
688774, PAX AMERICANA, BITCHES.
Posted by shockzilla, Wed Nov-19-14 01:00 PM
688792, Been going nuts with Invincible
Posted by Paps_Smear, Wed Nov-19-14 08:38 PM
Left off awhile ago in the early 40s

Since Monday I've already read up to 100.

Almost wish I had another 100 to read so I could keep going. It's gonna kill me to read this monthly but damn this has been flames. Kirkman knows his crackers that's for sure. I'm so invested in a bunch of heroes and villains in this title.
688882, INVINCIBLE is "100", my G! Only one fuck up ever...
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Nov-21-14 12:07 PM
SPOILER

CONQUEST, killing, Eve but not really.
Def one of the Top 5 comics on the market.
This latest arc is FUCKING CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
688890, This latest Invincible arc just keeps getting better! Have you
Posted by Scarface_7, Fri Nov-21-14 12:45 PM
read the Battle Beast cover?? THRAGG!!
688926, Not yet. I am a week behind on books.
Posted by JRennolds, Sat Nov-22-14 09:45 AM
When I cop mine though, VINCY gets the first read.

SPOILER>>>>>

ROBOT and VILTRUMITE TAKEOVER? New status quo is scary.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
688965, i would read a Battle Beast monthly...
Posted by Calico, Sun Nov-23-14 10:23 PM
that opening scene was awesome....
688992, READ IT and...
Posted by JRennolds, Mon Nov-24-14 11:33 AM
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

THRAGG, impregnating roach hoes and making a whole other planet of, OLIVERS?!
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
And violence.
688925, I just realized...
Posted by Paps_Smear, Sat Nov-22-14 08:20 AM
I said "Kirkman loves his crackers".

I meant characters. Damn auto correct lmao.
688796, GOD BACK. Gonna need ten years to figure out Pax Americana
Posted by bshelly, Wed Nov-19-14 10:03 PM
And annihilator some grippy devil great. The Master was at work this week
688888, Like... I'm actually kind of too intimidated to read this comic
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Nov-21-14 12:25 PM
688911, Then just look at the pretty pictures.
Posted by bshelly, Fri Nov-21-14 07:39 PM
Quitelys never been better, and the colors...I don't want to spoil it, but let's talk after
688963, I did and felt very 2-Dimensional Being
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sun Nov-23-14 10:17 PM
This comic requires... digestion.

But gyaddamm
689034, Don't worry. No one understands and is lying if they say they do
Posted by bshelly, Mon Nov-24-14 09:44 PM
689109, THAT INTRO
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Nov-26-14 02:46 PM
689475, SPOILERS Unlike some of the others, I thought this one was easy to take
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Dec-04-14 12:20 PM
at face value and at the first level of metatextual commentary. SPOILERS

Face value: The president figured something out (we don't know what, but presumably it has to deal with the comic book) and is convinced that his murder by the preeminent super hero will save the world. But something didn't go quite right, and rogue hero the Question is trying to figure out what it was.
The only thing I wasn't sure I got (again, at face value) was whether the kid who shot Yellowjacket and then realized it was his dad was Harley.

First layer of meta is the obvious Watchmenisms, both visually (first thing I thought on seeing the intro's blood on the presidential seal, a theme that was repeated several times) and story-wise. I thought this was interesting not just b/c of the Morrison/Moore mentor/protege antagonism historically (which presents the most likely 2d level meta commentary) but also b/c he is actually using the Charlton characters that Moore wanted to use.

But you guys probably know all that. I'm going to try to find some analysis of it; I think Wolk or somebody is doing a commentary on it and while I haven't been reading it regularly this story might bbe worth checking into it.
689484, Felt the same way
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Dec-04-14 02:40 PM
But I think part of that is the creative team. Morrison and Quitely is more engaging because it's masterful comics, but also because I revere their collaborations enough to stop everything and engage with it. For the most part I'm only half paying attention to this series with the idea that I'll make time for it later when it's all done and out there. Waiting for the trade but still popping my head in every now and then.
689486, I agree to an extent; I've been reading all along
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Dec-04-14 02:49 PM
and realize that each issue has been jam-packed with STUFF that I'm only partially picking up on (and I think that's affected by the fact that I want a good story, not a bunch of STUFF on te fringes of a good story).

Also I think the over-arching plot that hteoretically connects all these seems to be getting weaker issue to issue. Not sure if that's a commentary on the state of the comics industry or what. I don't really care since this issue was probably the best one yet, but it'd be kinda nice if it really felt like a) there is an overarching story connecting these worlds, and b) I'm mostly going to understand it without needing it explained to me, after which I'll be like 'whatever.'
688889, OM(LADY)G!!!!!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Nov-21-14 12:28 PM
LADY THOR, fucking shit up. MALEKITH, rocking the severed arm accessory!
FUCK YES.
688899, Anybody reading Ms. Marvel?
Posted by chrisP, Fri Nov-21-14 03:13 PM
I've gone full on evil trade waiter except for Ms Marvel, it's the only monthly I faithfully pick up. The book really won me over when they had a fill in artist for 2 issues and I still loved it. Adrian Alphona's designs were the thing that got me to check the book out and his art kept me on it, he shoves so many fun references into the nooks and crannies of every panel. Those 2 issues made me realize that the writing is just so engaging that my love for it isn't so specific to him but is equally shared with G. Willow Wilson. Didn't hurt that the fill in artist, Jake Wyatt, was also pretty great

I've tried and just can't get into the straight up super hero books anymore, especially the ones that are sporting that 90s Image art. I get why people like 'em, just not for me as a rapidly getting old man. This book, She Hulk, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Silver Surfer feel like they're drawing more on indie asthetics in the larger context of the Marvel U and I can get behind that.

And now Lockjaw is her pet. I mean, c'mon!

I took a chance and started reading it to my 7 year old, skipping over some bad words and a few mentions of date rape, etc (things teens in Jersey City may have to deal with). Kamala Khan has quickly risen up the ranks to be one of his favorite heroes. He had "his best dream ever" that he was patrolling Jersey City with her and shouts "Embiggen" at me from time to time. Good stuff.
688903, That's Wilson? Funny, I just re-read the first two trades of AIR
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Nov-21-14 04:01 PM
and found that they really weren't all that good.

But no, the only Big Two book I'm still reading (outside of maybe one Vertigo title) is Silver Surfer.
688908, Oh good to know
Posted by chrisP, Fri Nov-21-14 05:04 PM
I'm planning to pick up the Surfer trade soon, really liked the 1st 2 issues but I figured I could wait on that one. Read She Hulk trade over vacay a few weeks back and it was pretty good - 8 out of 10 if Ms Marvel rates a 10 (which it does for me)

Never read anything else by Wilson, not worth checkin out Air?
688995, well, hard to judge a series from the first two trades
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Nov-24-14 11:46 AM
but I don't feel any need whatsoever to continue with it after reading those.
688966, it's a fun book
Posted by Calico, Sun Nov-23-14 10:28 PM
...i've been reading off and on, but i need to go back to the beginning and see her origin....

...totally agree with the comment on certain books looking like indie titles and being great..i'd add Moon Knight to that list though...
688990, ZERO.
Posted by JRennolds, Mon Nov-24-14 11:31 AM
FUCK YOU, IF YOU AIN'T DOWN!
Holy smokies.
The final page and the mushroom man.
This series has potential to be the GOAT, madderfackers!!!!!!!!!!!!
689087, Attention B SHELLz....
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Nov-26-14 02:07 AM
.............EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=32261&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=57342
690033, just saw this reply, this map is so good.
Posted by bshelly, Mon Dec-15-14 12:00 PM
689393, Wondering if Celery is digging that new Stumptown
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Dec-03-14 10:25 AM
it's in Portland
it's centered around soccer culture

it also kinda sucks, though
691642, btw, I missed this -- been known Rucka is in the stands with me
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-21-15 04:54 PM
the comic is really a love letter to local fan culture, so it's interesting to see the extent it's "researched" and is pretty much an entirely valid representation of the hardcore fan culture here. But yeah, like you said the story is pretty slow-paced in order to fit all the detail in and I don't like the new artist at all.

But hey, I'm like the last guy in Portland that still loves Kalif Alhassan so his personal chant (which apparently cropped up after I left the Timbers Army section, so I didn't really even know about it) getting play in the pages is enough to keep me happy.

Also, so far it's been nothing but adoring about the Timbers Army, but I'm also aware that Rucka knows about some of the dark side shit that goes on within the group. I'm holding out hope some of that will pop up eventually.
689394, Jim Henson's The Storyteller - Witches #2... holy shit, was that good
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Dec-03-14 10:26 AM
and on top of that it made a fantastic reading aloud experience with the kids.

#3 was not quite as good as 1 & 2, but still good.
689395, Y'all mad at the Manhattan Projects hiatus, or don't care any more?
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Dec-03-14 10:29 AM
Still one of the most fun books I'm reading... I think it'll actually be an improvement to switch to the character-based arcs at this point. Hopefully they can keep to the schedule and not go SECRET on us.
690049, I'm still down! I loved the 'magic bullet' thing for Kennedy
Posted by Scarface_7, Mon Dec-15-14 03:52 PM
Cant wait to see what happens next. I swear, Manhattan Projects is Way under rated, pisses me off!
689447, STEPHEN, WHERE YOU BEEN AT? SPOILERS!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Dec-04-14 01:11 AM
OH WORD, JUST DESTROYING WORLDS WITH THE BLACK PRIESTS. AND NOW WAR WITH, RABUM ALAL.
DOOM AND MOLECULE MAN, IN TO THE ETHER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?
689463, I still don't know wtf is going on
Posted by Boogiedwn, Thu Dec-04-14 10:29 AM
But I like it (if that makes any sense)

Supposedly Hickman is going to finish Shield

It's like waiting for Detox at this point
689473, Coupla reviews after dropping too much money
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Dec-04-14 12:08 PM
ODY-C... not finished yet, but didn't really do too much for me. *Yawn* I'm guessing this is kind of the way you felt about Cassanova, I think it was, when Fraction wrote it. As much as I'm enjoying Low & Black Science this guy's definitely not all hits with me. Still have to find a way to read Fear Agent.

Cloaks #4 - my #1 book for pulp fun, I think. Somewhat predictable ending, but plenty of twists otherwise. A+

Unwritten Apocalypse - to be concluded and that's a good thing. The Apocalypse part of it has been better, but man even though the part between War of Words and Apocalypse wasn't outright *bad* it definitely made the series feel bloated and disconnected in a lot of ways.

Low #5 - interesting developments. Didn't see the twist coming. Looking forward to Gorm's back story if we get one. Wonder if that's it for Marik; Tajo is a lost cause. I think. I'm predicting that in the face of impending disaster we wind up with some sort of situation in which Stel and Roln have to team up. Really good read though. A-

Butterfly #3 - brutal! She's cold. I've been enjoying the intrigue & espionage type books a lot lately and this is among the better ones. Makes me wonder whatever happened to Where Is Jake Ellis? A-

Little Nemo in Slumberland #2 - Read this with the kids last night. Love it. Might have to get one of those giant books of McKay's OG Nemo for them for Christmas. The Complete is on sale... $125 though! A-

Memetic #2 - while #1 was about the scariest shit I've read, #2 kinda brings the zombie apocalypse aspect of it back as the main focus. Some good character development type drama; I'll still pick up #3 since that's where it's ending, but unfortunately #1 was so good it's indubitable that the series will have peaked early. B

Roche Limit #3 - sci-fi crime seems to be a new thing - this, Copperhead, The Fuse... Copperhead's probably the best but I've enjoyed this one quite a bit as well. B

Rasputin #2 - hell yeah! This is a lot of fun. Rasputin's not usually presented as a sympathetic character at all, which makes a nice surprise but even if this were just about Joe Schmo it'd still be fun. Wondering if Ras is going to turn heel somehow somewhere. A

Trees #7 - this book feels oddly shimmery - there's something about it that's atmospheric, even when a relative amount of action is happening. Still have no clues what the trees are up to but the sprawling character cast remains the motivating factor. A/A-

Wayward #4 - second pick after Cloaks for good teen pulp fun. Outstanding use of Japanese setting, good characters (esp Ayane), makes me want to put on http://www.amazon.com/Marginal-Moon-Soul-Flower/dp/B0000089NE. Lots & lots of fun. A

Zero #12 - damn, man. I need to re-read this whole series and try plotting it out. The individual issues read like great one-shots. The way they tie together, though, it feels like I'm kind of feeling my way through that, making some connections in my head w/o being sure if they're right. Didn't recognize the guys on the last page - anyone else? A

689478, ZERO...
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Dec-04-14 01:24 PM
LAST PAGE...
DEATH SQUAD...
EQUIPPED WITH SAME DEVICE AS THE SUPER TROOPER IN ISSUE #1...
END.TRANSMISSION.
689504, Low, Black Science and Fear Agent are Remender
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Dec-04-14 07:19 PM
And yo, you gotta read Fear Agent at some point.

But I'm with you on Ody-C and Fraction. I give him props for trying new things, and the comic certainly looks cool... but yeah this ain't for me
689531, yeah, he seems to be writing a ton of books right now
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Dec-05-14 10:34 AM
but I decided both Sex Criminals and Deadly Class weren't for me, and I think Ody-C is going in that same pile (though for different reasons.)
689533, DEAR SUPERIOR IRONMAN,
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Dec-05-14 11:10 AM
YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE. I HOPE, MATT BEATS THE LIVING DAYLIGHT OUT OF YOU. PRICK.

PS. YOUR NEW SERIES IS REALLY FUCKING GOOD!
689635, Yang & Liew's 'The Shadow Hero'
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Dec-08-14 12:24 AM
I enjoyed the shit out of this book.

Going into it I had a loose understanding that the writer had researched the "first Asian American superhero" and unearthed this bizarre bit of Golden Age comics history called The Green Turtle. Now whether or not he actually was Asian is up for debate, because he always kept his back turned to the reader (There's a sample story in the back and yes, it's every bit as awkward looking as it sounds) and the comic didn't last long enough to ever get into his origin story. But the creator of the character was Chinese American, and that informs a lot of what's going on in The Shadow Hero.

So, this is a remix/retelling of a forgotten Golden Age character, and also a statement about the genre overall, but it manages to be both these things without ever diving into the Morrisonesque side of the pool. The fourth wall remains well intact, as does a strong, character-driven foundation for some wonderful storytelling. It kinda doesn't matter that this is a made-up origin for a forgotten 40's character. Yeah, it's a cool tidbit that explains why the story takes place in that era. But it doesn't rely on those factors at all. Remove that context and you get a fresh superhero story with great characters and a whole different cultural context from what you're used to seeing in your cape & tights books. Also, it's funny as shit. I don't wanna spoil it for anyone but The Green Turtle's mom might be my favorite comic character of 2014.

Please do yourselves a favor and check for this.
690028, man, that scene where the mom puts on the mask is gold
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Dec-15-14 11:23 AM
Liked the book as well. Based on your review I read the back pages first (HEY FELLERS! Get your FREE copy of JU-JITSU Nation when you order your copy of THE GREAT CRIMEBUSTERS!). Man that Green Turtle story was wack though, no wonder it only lasted 5 issues. The Turtle Rocket was killing me.

Anyhow, my only issue with the main story was that it wasn't even a reinvention of the old character, it was just a new thing altogether. And that's certainly okay, it just seems kind of odd for them to attach it to a previously existing thing..

Bummed that Red Center couldn't be brought over to the light.

690047, that scene is everything
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Dec-15-14 02:37 PM
>Liked the book as well. Based on your review I read the back
>pages first (HEY FELLERS! Get your FREE copy of JU-JITSU
>Nation when you order your copy of THE GREAT CRIMEBUSTERS!).
>Man that Green Turtle story was wack though, no wonder it only
>lasted 5 issues. The Turtle Rocket was killing me.

Yes it was pret-ty turrible

>Anyhow, my only issue with the main story was that it wasn't
>even a reinvention of the old character, it was just a new
>thing altogether. And that's certainly okay, it just seems
>kind of odd for them to attach it to a previously existing
>thing..

Well, I came to dig how they didn't lean too hard on any past "continuity" or anything like that. They used the era, and that outsider/immigrant experience, and just let it be its own thing. Which I think is a better hook than "hey we're bringing back this character from 70 years ago that no one's ever heard of" (although I'm a sucker for such hooks and it's why I picked up the book in the first place)

>Bummed that Red Center couldn't be brought over to the light.

She had a really interesting story, too. I'd read a spin-off/sequel
689938, BITCH PLANET is good, too
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Dec-12-14 11:55 AM
Don't sleep
690051, Got it today... I think I'm woman enough!
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Dec-15-14 04:35 PM
689949, Black Widow - Edmonson & Noto
Posted by chrisP, Fri Dec-12-14 03:16 PM
I haven't heard much talk about this Black Widow series that's out now but I picked up the first trade and loved it. For the most part each issue is a standalone mission with the overarching story of her pulling these jobs to get over her guilt over past sins (she gives the money to families of people she killed). I don't know anything about her history, maybe all these past sins have been addressed in the comics but I don't feel like it's necessary to know anything to enjoy some great spy stories. I'm very interested in what's the story with her lawyer/manager, seems like there's something about him that has a story to tell.

I'm totally new to Noto, that dude's a badass! It's sort of like he's mashed up Travis Charest with Bill Sienkiewicsz (all time fave comic artist from his New Mutants run). I like how he'll employ 3 different styles in one page and it still feels cohesive and supports the story. The way he bleeds the red from Natasha's hair just oozes atmosphere - gorgeous.

I've picked up a bunch of recent Marvel trades and this is the one I've come back to the most, though She Hulk's a close second (and I just started reading Silver Surfer). Am I alone on this one?
690101, Zero: really good
Posted by bshelly, Tue Dec-16-14 02:35 PM
got the first two trades for birthday. TIGHT, high recommend
690131, ^^^Late to the party, still welcome to come in.
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Dec-17-14 09:58 AM
ZERO is cray cray good.
690132, SHIELD vs. ILLUMINATTI vs 3rd AIMvengers
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Dec-17-14 09:59 AM
But yo, DOOM is playing COSMIC CHESS and, The CABAL is murdering planets but yo...SECRET WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HICKALLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
690296, ALL HOPE LIES IN DOOM
Posted by bshelly, Fri Dec-19-14 08:02 PM
690146, ...sometimes it feels like Marvel has TOO MUCH going on
Posted by Calico, Wed Dec-17-14 11:34 AM
F4 were basically getting dismantled and are an all different fight for their lives

the X-Men just lost Wolvy, Apocalypse seems to be back, and there's a aew mutant out there that could destroy the world on a whim...not to mention mystique's future kids running around and what Sabretooth has been up to

The Avengers are fighting this HUGE war with multiple facets against the Illuminati, builders, and extinction itself

Spidey has a threat coming across the mutiverse in what may the the biggest Spidey story ever

The Hulk has gone through yet another change due to Extremis tech and has decided that no other creature should be gamma powered ( i love and hate this storyline btw...part of it makes NO sense)

Thor lost his hammer and later his arm...there's a new mysterious female Thor now, and Malekith is running around wrecking stuff with OG Thor's arm hanging around his neck LOL

Steve Rogers has seemingly lost the Super Soldier serum, is an old man now with a grown son, and the Falcon is the new Cap

Bucky is still presumed dead to the world but goes around doing his Winter soldier thing in secret protecting the Earth against all kids of threats

many of the Avengers and X-Men have turned malicious and their enemies turned virtuous

and that doesn't even feel like half of what's going on
690156, Yeah, I read the other half
Posted by chrisP, Wed Dec-17-14 03:06 PM
I read the books that tend to be a bit smaller scale like Ms Marvel, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Black Widow, Silver Surfer. I got out of comics in the late 80s, early 90s when the X-men universe got too overblown so I stay away from things that are overly convoluted.

That said, I've been curious about the Hulk lately. Any recent stuff worth checking out? I haven't read an issue of the Hulk since Mike Mignola was drawing Bill Mantlo's stories so I have zero idea what's going on with Bruce Banner. I saw Simonson's cover last year and almost picked it up.
690222, as a Hulk fan...no
Posted by Calico, Thu Dec-18-14 12:06 PM
....it's interesting in concept, but it reads like a gimmick, and doesn't totally make sense to me...

Moon Knight, Silver Surfer, Daredevil, and She-Hulk are excellent books, and i love the smaller, more intricate scale they consistently deliver on....i like Ms marvel, but it's not something i can't wait to pick up...i think i'm a few issues behind...

the Avengers Arena/undercover era has been awesome too...made me really like Hopeless as a writer
690150, Mark Waid & Fiona Staples relaunching ARCHIE (sw)
Posted by b.Touch, Wed Dec-17-14 12:39 PM
Yes, THAT Archie.

http://comicsalliance.com/what-archie-relaunches-in-2015-with-mark-waid-and-fiona-staples/

WHAT: ‘Archie’ Relaunches In 2015 With Mark Waid And Fiona Staples
by Chris Sims December 15, 2014 3:27 PM
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Archie art by Fiona Staples
Over the past few years, Archie Comics has taken a lot of inspiration from the world of superheroes. We’ve seen inter-company crossovers, high-profile creators, the launch of a Mature Readers line and a couple of superhero imprints, and now, they’re embracing the superhero comic’s most time-honored tradition: For the first time since 1942, the Archie title is getting relaunched with a new #1.
That’s kind of a big deal in and of itself — with 661 issues as of this December, I’m pretty sure that Archie is currently the longest-running monthly comic on the stands that has never been rebooted or renumbered — but the bigger news comes from the announcement of the new creative team handling Archie’s biggest new direction yet: Mark Waid and Fiona Staples.
According to the New York Times, Waid and Staples will be giving Riverdale a “new look and an edgier tone,” and while that combination of words is usually a pretty big warning sign in the world of comics, but here, it seems like more of an extension of the publisher’s recent move away from the standard formula that marked their stories for so many years. Waid is, after all, known for bringing both a new direction to books like Flash, Fantastic Four and Daredevil that’s usually marked by optimism and heroism as much as a sense of danger. Plus, his work on the all-ages Impulse is one of my favorite things he’s ever done.
It’s worth noting that this represents a bit of a homecoming for Waid, who actually got his start at Archie as an editor before moving into writing superheroes. As for Staples, she’s done work for the company in the past, but it’s mostly been limited to covers, like the amazing Josie and the Pussycats piece that later made into a print.

Josie and the Pussycats by Fiona Staples

One assumes that no matter how edgy Archie gets, it’s probably going to be a pretty big change from her recent work on the critically acclaimed Saga.
The announcement does, however, raise a question about how fast Archie’s line is changing. Waid and Staples — especially Staples — certainly represent a departure from the familiar “house style” that has made the publisher so distinctive, pioneered by the legendary Dan DeCarlo and currently the domain of longtime Archie cartoonist Dan Parent. That visual style, along with the short-form, humor-driven stories, formed the core of Archie’s publishing lineup for decades, and while the more experimental stories are still outnumbered by the the classic stories, it does make me wonder if those are on the way out.
That said, Archie’s new direction has shown a huge amount of progress and very few missteps, and as two of the best creators working in comics, Waid and Staples look to be continuing that trend when they take over next year.
As revealed in the press release, their first story will kick off in a new Archie #1 early next year, and will focus on an origin for the Betty/Veronica/Archie love triangle. Clearly, there are at least some things that won’t be changing at all.

Read More: 'Archie' Relaunches In 2015 With Mark Waid And Fiona Staples | http://comicsalliance.com/what-archie-relaunches-in-2015-with-mark-waid-and-fiona-staples/?trackback=tsmclip
690185, I fucks with this.
Posted by KneelB4Me, Wed Dec-17-14 11:33 PM
I always liked Archie as a kid but have no reason to keep up with the books as an adult (although I hear good things about the Life with Archie and Afterlife books). A relaunch with those two creators have me in there like swimwear.

"I halfway hope people put "btw, rappers lie and shit" on CD covers, like a parental advisory sticker." - OKP Villain

www.twitter.com/lexlamont
690328, Afterlife with Archie is a must-read series.
Posted by b.Touch, Mon Dec-22-14 12:46 AM
Life with Archie...is touch and go.
690242, Milestones!!!! TBT!!!! Yo I just ordered All the Statics
Posted by ThaAnthology, Thu Dec-18-14 04:55 PM
I got a third of the Icons. I have about 8 Hardwares (including #1s) and next month I will get all the Blood Syndicate stuff.

In the 90s I used to colelct them, but I gave them all away to my baby cousins (along with all my other books) I have been slowly buying some of the classic stuff back like Secret Invasion, Civil War etc.

I love Midtown Comics though! Real talk!!
690327, I read that second Icon trade recently
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Dec-22-14 12:17 AM
Not that recently, but it made a real strong impression. Incredibly dope stuff. I need to do a Milestone round-up myself one of these days
690297, Annhilator is among the Gods best works. Read it.
Posted by bshelly, Fri Dec-19-14 08:03 PM
690319, HOLY FUCK @ ALL-NEW CAP #2!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Dec-21-14 04:07 PM
SPOILERS.

HYDRA HAS INFILTRATED THE SUPERHERO TEAMS. ALL OF THEM.
AND.................................

ZEMO, sliced, IAN's throat.
690358, ZERO = FUCKING BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Mon Dec-22-14 06:23 PM
This last issue...OH MAN!
And I think the bald guy at the end is the dude who killed, ZIZEK's child-carrying lady, in Bosnia!
THIS SERIES? GOAT POTENTIAL.
690409, lots o dead dudes
Posted by bshelly, Tue Dec-23-14 08:39 PM
but it can't be GOAT. HICK DAWG's Secret Warriors does the same kind of stuff, and Zero isn't quite *that* good.
690443, EXCUSE ME! THE GOAT CARD!
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Dec-24-14 11:50 PM
ANIMAL MAN BY, THE GOD.......GOAT!
PREACHER BY, ENNIS........OTHER GOAT!
FF/F4, #600 IS THE GREATEST SINGLE ISSUE OF ALL TIMES!!!! BY, HICKGOD............SI SENOR, GOAT!
BATMAN BY, THE GOD.....................GOAT CITY!

ZERO......POTENTIAL GOAT STATUS! IT MUST CONCLUDE IN A GOAT FASHION. DUH.
690385, SPIDER-VERSE has been a fucking riot!!!!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Dec-23-14 01:21 PM
So much fun.
This last issue of TEAM-UP had me dying. Miles with the CARTOON SPIDEYS? HAHAHA.
And Amazing has been AMAZING. Stakes is high, so is the humor.
690468, Just put a ton of Spider-trades on library hold
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Dec-26-14 01:26 PM
Last 3 volumes of Superior, and the first couple of Amazing. Should be fun
690470, ALL GREAT reads.
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Dec-26-14 02:06 PM
SLOTT, has been on fire ever since the final arc of the first volume of AMAZING.
690641, he's easily the best Spidey writer in a LONG time
Posted by Calico, Tue Dec-30-14 03:12 PM
and i agree...
690744, He is like my platonic ideal of a Spider-Man writer
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sat Jan-03-15 01:14 PM
He shakes things up while still maintaining that classic vibe that made you fall in love with the comic in the first place. It's funny, it's action packed, there's melodrama, there's THOUGHT BALLOONS for crying out loud. Doc Ock becoming Spider-Man is ironically one of the most Spider-Man things I've ever read.

Just finished the arc where Spider-Man of 2099 comes back to 2013. Reading it in 2015 adds another layer of time travel to it. Fun stuff.
690781, Just tore thru the last 2 Superior Trades
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sun Jan-04-15 07:21 PM
Holy shit, that moment when Green Goblin realizes Peter's back is so great
690463, HICK DAWG, is doing Steve Rodgers, DIRTY!!!
Posted by bshelly, Fri Dec-26-14 07:35 AM
Dat 'Luminati must PAY, for their crimes against Cap!
690556, You know, I actually really liked AXIS.
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Dec-28-14 09:05 PM
I feel like the story would have had more room to breathe in 12 issues but it was still pretty damn cool. The final issue was ill. Stoked to see, THE EVIL SUMMERS BROS move the revolution forward and, I am excited to see, SABRETOOTH fill, Logan's void. The opening to the final issue was top notch.
690557, DEVIL JOKER on FIRE?!
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Dec-28-14 09:07 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEndgamEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
690562, And GORDON's BATMAN ringtone is...
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Dec-28-14 11:59 PM
SO good, Snyper!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR3XY6wfSBw
690560, UNCANNY/ALL-NEW XMEN ANNUALS?
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Dec-28-14 11:13 PM
FIRE!
Great story. Loving what, Bendis is doing with the franchise. Great stuff.

Poor, EVA BELL.
BEAST, is about to get his. I see a long game connecting some dots. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
690640, these eva bell stories are Fire
Posted by Scarface_7, Tue Dec-30-14 03:05 PM
really enjoying evolution of Magik as well! also quite enjoyed that last sorcerer supreme she ran into "be nice to me when we meet" indeed!
690681, I think, Hank Mccoy is fucked.
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Dec-31-14 11:14 AM
I dig BENDIS' run so much. It is unpredictable, fun, fresh and, innovative.
690731, Southern Bastards is so good.
Posted by JRennolds, Sat Jan-03-15 12:54 AM
SPOILERS

Young Boss, getting shot in the foot. Old black dude making, Young Euliss tackle trees? Aaron, on his SCALPED kick again.
691643, won't lie, I've been mad ever since the switcharoo at the end of #4
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-21-15 04:57 PM
but issues #5 and #6 have been strong enough to rope me back in. Felt so empty during #5 I was really thinking on quitting the book, but gave it one more shot and #6 pretty much roped me right back in...
690791, Superior Foes of Spider-Man is my belated jam
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Jan-05-15 11:19 AM
Very, very funny stuff.
690868, should i start at the beginning?
Posted by Calico, Wed Jan-07-15 01:48 PM
i kinda avoided this one
690875, I'm only 1 trade in
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Jan-07-15 02:32 PM
So yeah, start there. For all I know it falls off after that!
690866, lotsa shit
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Jan-07-15 11:33 AM
1. Goddamn, the flu sucks. My oldest got sick Dec. 10, my duaghter is the most recent casualty and today was the first day that all 3 kids have gone to school and both parents have gone to work since then. Lisa & I had it all Christmas week and my God did i feel fucking terrible... still have a bit of the cough and there's some question of whether a bacterial infection took advantage of my repressed immune system and colonized my lungs as well. Everyone got the flu shot except lazy me who hadn't gotten around to it, and in at least the kids' case it helped lessen the impact. My wife & I were sick as dogs though.

2. BUCKSHOT rules, my dudes.
a. Check out the album cover my band comissioned: https://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns
b. DEATH TRIP #2 - aww yeah. I want to dig up #1 and reread them both together. Love it though, psychedelic and funny and scifi and now a little murder mystery (?) all at the same time.
c. RHYME TRAVELERS #2 - "Daddy, why does FLOWWWTRON only speak in rhymes?" Also if there is a Bizzy tee in the making, put me down for 3 kids' sizes and an adult.

3. Pets
a. Did I tell you dudes that one of our chickens died? She was clearly dying in the morning, so we pulled her out of the run so the other chickens wouldn't eat her, and of course when we opened the run all the other chickens went apeshit and took off so we just left 'em out for the day. I went home at lunch to bury the poor dying girl, who was indeed already deceased, and found that another bird had been gotten by a crfitter - a big pile of feathers around a carcass denuded from the breast up to the no-longer--existent head. Probably a hawk.
b. This of course happened three days after putting one of our cats down. Rough week for the kids.
c. Looks like our last remaining hamster is on his way out as well. Still kicking, but only with half his body, like he had a little stroke or something.

4. Library books
a. The Motherless Oven - interesting, not really my thing. Dystopian-ish type thing where you know your deathday ahead of time, you build your own parents, and it rains knives. With teen drama.
b. The Twelve Gems - fun little indie space opera, black and white, reminded me a lot of the few Metal Hurlant comics I've read.
c. something else I'm forgetting but that I know I read in one sitting

5. COMICS
a. Mind MGMT - MERU vs. the ERASER, fuck yeah!
b. East of West - alright, I don't really have a feel for who this Thomas guy is but this was awesome. Guess I need to re-read.
c. Black Science - starting to sprawl a little too much for me. Still good though.
d. Memetic #3 - possibly the best, most succinct apocalypse story I've ever read. #1 was the best, #2 a slight lag, #3 a whiz bang finale. Last panel felt like a MILD copout but it was so out of left field I loved it anyhow.
e. Rasputin #3 - loving this. Not as strong as #1 or #2 but the I've always like the way Grecian plays with folklore in his writing & this is no exception though it's mostly stuff I'm unfamiliar with.

Also super excited about this Abigail & the Snowman #1 from Roger Langridge but have been saving it to read with the kids.

Happy new year, y'all -
690891, RE: lotsa shit
Posted by chrisP, Thu Jan-08-15 02:16 AM
A few years ago the whole family got the swine flu at the same time and I wound up with walking pneumonia for a month after that. I feel your pain. Good luck and stay hydrated.

Damn! I love both Buckshot's cover AND your music, it wound up being the soundtrack to a good chunk of my work day. I've been meaning to say for awhile that I looooove Tales to Suffice, one of these days I'm gonna have to suck it up and read the digital comics too (I just have a hard time with reading on a tablet after staring at a screen all day).

Send your hawks over, my wife's six year interest with chickens has finally come to an end. Our 2 remaining birds stopped laying over a year ago and we just don't have the heart to kill them ourselves (my son named them Peppermint Mine and Silver Hawk when he was 4, I mean c'mon). Sorry to hear about all the rough pet times, it's hard getting kids to understand.

If I was to choose one series to start reading from Mind MGMT, East of West, or Black Science (keeping in mind that great, stylish art is my first requirement, great story is second) which should it be?

Also been interested in Abigail & the Snowman. Did you read his Henson Turkey Hollow GN? Been wondering about that one.

Happy New Year to you too!

690924, RE: lotsa shit
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jan-08-15 04:05 PM
Looks like we're mostly better... hopefully it doesn't come round again.

>Damn! I love both Buckshot's cover AND your music, it wound up
>being the soundtrack to a good chunk of my work day.

yo, thanks! This stuff isn't really up OKP alley typically but I've made a lot of solid connections here over the years. I met Jeff on Soundcloud though (not physically - we still haven't met in person. God bless the Internet.) But it's been awesome working with someone else - stiill not as fun as playing together in person but a close second, perhaps.

(Side note - I just realized you have a URL in your sig for the first time and checked it out. Nice work, I feel like I may have seen your stuff in some of the Cricket Media mags? We read Spider, Ask, Dig, & Cricket, and got Ladybug & Click for years too.)

>I've been
>meaning to say for awhile that I looooove Tales to Suffice,
>one of these days I'm gonna have to suck it up and read the
>digital comics too (I just have a hard time with reading on a
>tablet after staring at a screen all day).

I really haven't done much with digital at all (except that BKV/Martin joint whose name I'm forgetting and I'm at least an issue behind on). Fortunately I lucked into a few hard copies.

>Send your hawks over, my wife's six year interest with
>chickens has finally come to an end.

This was a good year for the migration, had tons of 'em from October through late December.

>Our 2 remaining birds
>stopped laying over a year ago and we just don't have the
>heart to kill them ourselves (my son named them Peppermint
>Mine and Silver Hawk when he was 4, I mean c'mon). Sorry to
>hear about all the rough pet times, it's hard getting kids to
>understand.

My kids are mini-naturalists so they were OK with the hawk eating it. The cat just up & "dying" was worse. The most tragic death of all was when Speckles, aged approximately 2 weeks, was loved to death by my over--enthusiastic daughter about two hours into her stay with us. "Daddy, something's wrong with Speckles's neck!!!"

(Love the names, though... sounds like the kids would get along pretty well!)

>If I was to choose one series to start reading from Mind MGMT,
>East of West, or Black Science (keeping in mind that great,
>stylish art is my first requirement, great story is second)
>which should it be?

Hmm I would say East of West... Black Science is busier and probably flashier, but I think East of West has a much better sense of design.

>Also been interested in Abigail & the Snowman. Did you read
>his Henson Turkey Hollow GN? Been wondering about that one.

I'll let you know how it is. Didn't read Turkey Hollow - I think I remember considering it but it's hazy.

691269, Cricket, Ladybug, etc.
Posted by chrisP, Wed Jan-14-15 05:36 PM
Thanks! Haven't gotten anything into those mags yet but I'm glad you brought it up, I need to send stuff to those people. 95% of my work is in animation and mostly for uncredited commercials but kids books/magazines/apps is something I've been trying to shift towards.

Looks like the feed store we get our chicken food from is willing to take the chickens and sell them as non-laying pets. Or that's just what they say when they want some free chicken stew.

Just put East of West on library hold, I'll report back - thanks for the rec (also just got Zero in because you guys have been raving about it, looking forward to checking that out).
690916, Shit... hope I didn't mail you the flu, too
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Jan-08-15 01:17 PM
Really gotta stop sneezing on my books as my calling card.

We were definitely going through it around these parts over the holiday break. Crazy ass month, it was.

Again, it was a blast working on your album cover. Jamming to it now. And I'm so glad you and the fam enjoyed the comics!

>b. DEATH TRIP #2 - aww yeah. I want to dig up #1 and reread
>them both together. Love it though, psychedelic and funny and
>scifi and now a little murder mystery (?) all at the same
>time.

Word!

>c. RHYME TRAVELERS #2 - "Daddy, why does FLOWWWTRON only speak
>in rhymes?"

Hope you're reading it in your best "Big Daddy Kane rapping into a desk fan" voice!

>Also if there is a Bizzy tee in the making, put me
>down for 3 kids' sizes and an adult.

We are looking at getting the book a little more "out there" this year. No plans for merch yet but that's a tempting thought.

I wanna check out Twelve Gems and Memetic, and get caught back up on Mind Mgmt.
690919, Should be wrapping up Death Trip #3 in next month or two
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Jan-08-15 02:51 PM
And Rhyme Travelers #3 not long after that!

Reminder that y'all can read Death Trip online for free right here: http://deathtrip.talestosuffice.com/

and buy it digitally here for cheap:
https://www.comixology.com/Tales-to-Suffice/comics-publisher/908-0?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9wdWJsaXNoZXJJbmZv

...And I'll bug you about Rhyme Travelers later on, like next COTM or so

Thank you
690925, we had it before the books came in!
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jan-08-15 04:08 PM
> Crazy ass month, it was.

read this to self in a Yoda-with-a-cold voice.

>Again, it was a blast working on your album cover. Jamming to
>it now. And I'm so glad you and the fam enjoyed the comics!

>>c. RHYME TRAVELERS #2 - "Daddy, why does FLOWWWTRON only
>speak
>>in rhymes?"
>
>Hope you're reading it in your best "Big Daddy Kane rapping
>into a desk fan" voice!

To be honest we haven't read it out loud yet but I know all three kids have snuck peeks. The question was verbbatim from my 9 y.o.

I'll try the voice though. I like it.

>I wanna check out Twelve Gems and Memetic, and get caught back
>up on Mind Mgmt.

MGMT sort of lagged there for a bit but there's been some serious action last arc, resulting in a slimmed-down cast. I think next arc is more backstory on the Eraser, which could be good, maybe not. It's still hard to pick up everything.

I think you'll dig Memetic, man.
690981, HAPPY NUDE YEAR, D!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Jan-09-15 12:38 PM
The gf's madre lives in DOYLESTOWN. If we pass through, I will hit you up. Stay fresh, amigo.
690918, That Slott/Allred SILVER SURFER is lots of fun, too
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Jan-08-15 02:09 PM
Those guys make a good team, and it's neat seeing them bring those sunny vibes to such a cold, cosmic character. I wasn't blown away by the first issue, but the 2 story arcs contained in that first trade added up to a good time. I'm killing it with the library trades lately if I do say so myself.
690926, only big 2 book I'm reading save Multiversity
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jan-08-15 04:11 PM
and yeah, I'm pretty convinced that ILLin' is the most efficient legal way to get large quantities of comics read, especially when it's stuff you want to read but don't feel like you need to own.

Plus... it's dawn GREENWOOD, yo! Distant relatives!
690930, **stumbles in here** Um, hey everyone
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-08-15 04:54 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm so far behind with everything I have no idea where to start. Perusing the list, I see a few trades that I can pick up. Believe or not, I still read the occasional trade ("caught up" on Astro City). And it looks like I'm waaaaay behind on the output on Mr. Defunct.

So, my personal big news is that I'm a home-owner now. Wife and I bought a home about 20-minutes from Oakland/Berkeley, so I'm going to be officially a suburbanite. Probably not moving into it until mid to late February. On a comic-related note, I've got to figure out the proper way of moving/storing my single issues. Plus where I'm putting all the trades.

Glad to see everyone else is staying on the one here.
690933, Were you summoned by my Dan Slott Spider-Man ravings
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Jan-08-15 06:02 PM
Dude that's great about the home-owning. Congrats on that. PTP MAKING GROWN UP MOVES IN 2015
690983, Um hey, Mr.HOOD75!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Jan-09-15 12:39 PM
Happy New Year. Making moves. Congrats. SLOTT, is killing the calm on SPIDER-MAN. Pure heat!
690979, LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE UPDATE!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Jan-09-15 12:35 PM
Will be 31 years old next month!!!!!!!

Cold outside. This winter is cray!
I work at a huuuuge 600,000 square foot retail property, I am the commander in chief of housekeeping. I have a team, I belay orders and, I drive 30 minutes to/from...on a good day! I dig it though. Lotsa responsibility.

I live with my gf in a tiny little (but badass) apartment on the eastside of downtown. Look up the Denver Museum of Natural History, we are about 1 1/2 miles due East.

I will be proposing to the gf this year. Fams are stoked. Out of contact with my dad and his family though, time will heal.

I have made the full transition to punk. Hiphop bores me. I get nostalgic once in a while.

I am a huge fan of any of the zines carnagenyc.com puts out. These are ill as well: http://artprimo.com/catalog/wavy-red-border-egg-shell-sticker-pack-p-3958.html

I am very happy. Every Sunday the lady and I eat somewhere new and fancy. When the weather is nice, we head up to the mountains for two day trips. Did it all spring and summer.
This year we plan to hike/explore Southern CO and roadtrip to New Mexico.

Still in the graff. Lordy!
690982, Some of this reads like an issue of Multiversity
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Jan-09-15 12:39 PM
>
>I will be proposing to the gf this year. Fams are stoked.
690984, No kids in the future though!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Jan-09-15 12:40 PM
We are selfish and immature. Haha! To the EAST!
691233, Avengers 40 SPOILERS
Posted by bshelly, Wed Jan-14-15 10:26 AM
So ends The Cabal
691237, that was dope
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Jan-14-15 11:33 AM
"farewell!"
691417, That shit was LONG OVERDUE
Posted by Melanism, Fri Jan-16-15 01:29 PM
After what he did, there's no reason he should have been around as long as he was
691519, i STILL don't understand
Posted by Calico, Tue Jan-20-15 07:51 AM
how dude was able to run The Cabal, or did they just let him feel like he was in charge?...i mean, any of them coulda taken Mackenzie out...
691538, He's not coming back!
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Jan-20-15 01:08 PM
SPOILERS....

NAMOR = DEAD?
691507, silver SURFER still, fresh to death!
Posted by bshelly, Mon Jan-19-15 09:13 PM
Refugee plant coming between Norrin and Gwen!

Lactus HUNGERS
691528, One thing I dug about that first trade
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Jan-20-15 11:28 AM
That I can't recall being a common thing in previous SS stuff I've read

Everybody in space hates Silver Surfer's ass. Still calling him "Herald" and shit
691533, yeah....*spoilers*
Posted by Calico, Tue Jan-20-15 11:42 AM
i loved that the one guy was like "you're gonna get us all killed by just being here" and he kinda did....
691612, One more example of...
Posted by chrisP, Wed Jan-21-15 01:14 PM
...how Dan Slott is writing this as Dr. Who fan fiction (which I'm totally cool with as a DW fan since the early 80s). People that are aware of who the Doctor is generally aren't crazy about him being on their planet because his presence tends to coincide with terrible things happening. Folks associate the Surfer with being the prep chef for someone who's going to eat their planet, makes sense that word wouldn't have gotten around that he's not that guy anymore.
691563, so wait, Marvel is just gonna New52 it? is this old or new news?
Posted by celery77, Tue Jan-20-15 08:00 PM
I just caught this today.

(And as an aside, one comment on the article I read led me to believe Logan is dead? They killed Logan? Did they do that before or after Disney bought them? Seems like you'd want to keep him around for the valuation at least...)

Movie money just rules all, huh? Well I'm not reading any Marvel at the moment and I'm happy for it. It's a damn shame Image can't get sales #s like Marvel does, the quality on those books is soooo insanely better...

AND

Movie money is wack cuz Flash + Arrow on CW >>>>> every movie Marvel has released since X-Men: First Class combined.
691618, Killed Logan in the Summer
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Jan-21-15 01:31 PM
Smashing up Ultimate Universe and the main 616 w/Secret Wars
691620, new News--
Posted by Mr_Warmth, Wed Jan-21-15 01:37 PM
kinda glad theyre doing it cause i've been wanting jump back in

also Flash and Arrow better than Marvel Studios?

drugs are bad
691633, yeah, that last comment is the doo doo
Posted by Calico, Wed Jan-21-15 03:57 PM
but everyone is entitled to their opinion
691634, total % of minutes I've been bored during Flash ---> like 3%
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-21-15 04:12 PM
total % of minutes I was bored during the last Captain America AND Thor ---> 100%

my minutes matter, fam
691635, Yea, I'm not liking the universe reboot idea.
Posted by phenompyrus, Wed Jan-21-15 04:21 PM
And the CW shows better than the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
691639, I could watch a season of the Arrow in the time it took me to figure out...
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-21-15 04:34 PM
whatever the fuck happened in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Except somehow a major mutan terror incident involving the President of the United States is like negated because an assassination never took place?

Believe me, as dumb as Arrow and Flash are, they would never insult me like that.
691641, everybody needs to chill on the reboot
Posted by bshelly, Wed Jan-21-15 04:47 PM
i am positive it won't be a hard, DC style reboot. the history of the Marvel Universe will be preserved and in continuity. Ultimately (see what I did there), I think it kills the Ultimate Universe, moves Miles Morales over, and retcons a bunch of mutants into Inhumans. That's it.
691645, I actually think DC fucked it up by going too soft on it
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-21-15 05:05 PM
like Green Lantern was still a sprawling hot mess and all the fun of the Morrison Batman's was just out the window. And they didn't do anything to cull the Super-universe that well and crossover stuff just became ten times more confusing.

The book that really seemed to catch it well was the Flash and as it turns out that was pretty much just pre-drafts for TV scripts, which I'm not mad at at all. I was honestly mainly disappoitned when the "Speed Force" returned within the first 10 issues and I"m dreading the day the TV show says those words, too...

But if Marvel can deliver me a CLEAN X-Men #1? Sheeeeeeit, I might even read an X-Men book.
691671, i read it's more like they'll be integrating universes
Posted by Calico, Thu Jan-22-15 09:17 AM
...i'm not convinced that's a good idea either though, cuz i like the separate universes as they are....
691695, Kind of excited...
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Jan-22-15 01:36 PM
I think that MARVEL continues to take risks and evolve for the better. I read a ton of MARVEL, very good books.

For the record, I WILL BE PISSED if the reboot fucks around with BENDIS' XMEN run.

I am confident that, HICKGOD will steer the ship in a fun and intriguing direction. LADY THOR, MEAN STARK, BLACK CAP and maybe, BLACK SPIDEY has a ton of potential for fresh storytelling.
691644, btw copped the WICKED + THE DIVINE trade at the shop today
Posted by celery77, Wed Jan-21-15 05:01 PM
bshelly this one's on your recommendation, I'm hopeful it comes through.
691740, worth it for the art alone
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jan-23-15 09:33 AM
Whether you dig it depends upon your feelings about death and whimsy and pop music as obsession. I love it
691862, solid book -- art is the star, plotting a bit sparse for my taste
Posted by celery77, Mon Jan-26-15 06:40 PM
but the look of it all really keeps it interesting, which is interesting in and of itself because it's a story so centered around image and image worship.

But if you mapped out the actual "plot" which occurred within the first five issues, and even if you mapped out the "character" elements, it's a bit sparse. But then you think it would be hard to condense when there's so much expansive art, sooo...

Anyway I'll be copping the 2nd trade. I like the landscape they've created. I'd love to see them really put it into motion.
691696, Who is the BIG BAD in BATMAN ETERNAL?
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Jan-22-15 01:39 PM
We can rule out the majority of, BRUCE's rogues gallery. We have yet to see THE COURT OF OWLS make an appearance but that would be some left field cray.
Any thoughts?
691708, I took a look at this week's releases, not even worth a trip to the shop
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jan-22-15 03:49 PM
one book (Drifer #3) that the first two volumes were okay but I'm not pressed to hit the shop just for #3.

Reading some stuff from the library though:

-Fables vol. 20, I think, 'Camelot.' Sigh. I think Fables has left the building. I was kind of with it through the Mr. Dark bit, and I may have missed a volume or two, but just didn't enjoy this volume that much.

-The Wrenchies (Farel Dalrymple OGN): I loved Omega the Unknown, but have had trouble with Farel's other stuff. This one's (a bit) more straight ahead storytelling and has a lot of fun stuff going on. I wouldn't say I 'get' it 100% but I get it a lot more than the last one I read by him and I'm getting a kick out of it. Seems to comment on the same meta ideas that Multiversity is riffing on - the power of comic books as dimensional portrayals and/or portals. Plus, postapocalyptic kids kicking ass.

-Bumperhead (G. Hernandez): I've only read a handful of Love & Rockets books. They're always good though, and this isn't the first to give me a Clowesian vibe throughout - capturing awkardness throughout life, even brief phase where the subject is cool. Plenty of fun & pathos.
691738, the Spidey books alone are worth it
Posted by Calico, Fri Jan-23-15 08:36 AM
then there's stuff like Invincy, but to each their own...
691843, bitch planet and squirrel girl sold out everywhere
Posted by LES, Mon Jan-26-15 02:35 PM
so I copped some mostly old stuff

hawkeye vol 1
superior foes of spiderman vol 1
tmnt/ghostbusters
she-hulk
691892, SQUIRREL GIRL WAS AWESOME
Posted by Calico, Tue Jan-27-15 01:08 PM
...read both of these kinda on a whim, kinda cause you mentioned em, and kinda cause i read an article on DeConnick and her husband the other day... what a great book (SG)....BP was good too, but SG was in a league of it's own.......i read em digitally, but i'm gonna call my shops and see if it's sold out here too...

691989, sunscribe to series
Posted by bshelly, Wed Jan-28-15 09:38 PM
691866, GOTG PLANET OF THE SYMBIOTES FINALE
Posted by JRennolds, Mon Jan-26-15 09:39 PM
BADASS. SPOILERS.

THE VENOM SYMBIOTE comes from a peaceful planet of symbiotes entrusted with the peace of the cosmos.
691888, i'm trying to remember if Marvel's EVER explored that b4? *spoilers*
Posted by Calico, Tue Jan-27-15 12:49 PM
..u know, where they came from?? part of me hated it (ANOTHER alien race/society setting out to help police the universe? ugh), and part of me loved it (they said dude should have new powers, and them debating on staying to save Flash was hilarious)
691899, It's news to me
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Jan-27-15 01:42 PM
Based on JR's post I got curious and Google'd it, apparently it's established enough to be on the Marvel wiki: http://marvel.wikia.com/Symbiotes

tmi for real
691901, The only thing I did dislike...
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Jan-27-15 01:49 PM
This arc was called PLANET OF THE SYMBIOTES, it took 3 or 4 issues to get to the damned PLANET OF THE SYMBIOTES. The origin story was rad. It should have been done over two issues.
691902, yeah, i feel like this book just wastes time ALOT
Posted by Calico, Tue Jan-27-15 01:55 PM
each arc feels like it really should be shorter....it's mostly been them gettin in and out of trouble....i'm trying to think who they've really helped throughout the current series...
691967, I don't mind it then again...
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Jan-28-15 02:14 PM
I read BENDIS BOOKS for that snarky and fun BENDIS-DIALOG. Plus, I really do enjoy the cast and, BMB has a knack for developing amazing character arcs over his stories. Case in point, his current (AND SUPER BADASS!!!!) XMEN run.
691980, holy shit @ multiversity
Posted by bshelly, Wed Jan-28-15 08:05 PM
DAT HAND YALL
691992, Didn't fuck wit dat Multiversity. Still fuckin wit dat BATMAN!!!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Jan-28-15 11:05 PM
Sorry, THE GOD.
SNYPER, took the formula and injected it in to some hydra.
BABY JELLYFISH.
IMMORTAL JOKER.
THREE DOCTORS.
Themes staying constant.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND..............................................SPOILERS.............................................................................

......BRUCEY, going to COURT to learn about THE PALE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
692030, The JOKER reinvented (LINK with SPOILERS!!!)
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Jan-29-15 12:35 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/29/batman-38-a-new-kind-of-joker-spoilers/
692165, "Doesn't feel like a Batman story anymore, does it?"
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Feb-03-15 06:09 PM
691993, ZERO.
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Jan-28-15 11:06 PM
Have you seen the MUSHROOM MEN?
Fighting.
Explosions.

A+++++++++++++++++++
692052, old dude stepped up to get beat down
Posted by bshelly, Thu Jan-29-15 08:45 PM
692069, Brutality defined.
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Jan-30-15 09:33 AM
Dopest part.
SARAH, blowing up THE AGENCY.
691994, REMENDER = JUMPING SHARKS
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Jan-28-15 11:08 PM
AXIS was mediocre at best.
CAP relaunch is a bit fast-paced and waaaaay too much.

THE UNCANNY AVENGERS relaunch that dropped this week? BORING!
Reeking of the 90s.
BOO.
Not impressed, RICKY!
692009, A Clockwork Game
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jan-29-15 09:34 AM
http://www.clockwork-comics.com/

whole book is available online.

Picked it up out of the library earlier this week and was pretty much engrossed in it. Well-researched piece of historical fiction about a real 'automaton' that played chess against some bigwigs, including Ben Franklin, Napoleon, Maria Theresa, etc. Spoke well to my history-geek side. A/A-

Also, picked up a Joe Ollman book that's a collection of early stuff. The first story broke my heart. Looking forward to reading the rest.
692011, I've lost track on how bad the X-Men have buttfucked the timestream.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Jan-29-15 09:44 AM
The OG X-Men aren't even in the same universe, and this dingus brings the Professor back from the past.
692017, time stream beyond broke
Posted by Boogiedwn, Thu Jan-29-15 11:51 AM
guess it's one way to get him back - how far back did she go?

Mutants taking L's yet again - wiped out some more major players (at least for now)
692029, DOG, this issue was bonkers. I am not mad at anything!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Jan-29-15 12:29 PM
XAVIER, coming back and, DAT CLOPS getting murked? LORDY!
692068, My friend just got a dog named bonkers
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jan-30-15 09:13 AM
692028, HICKGOD AVENGERS lost me this week.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Jan-29-15 12:27 PM
MAJOR SHIT happened off panel or was quickly glossed over ie. Galactus and Celestials just vanishing and, BLACK PANTHER's hermana getting murked.
Mood = Confused
692053, yeah man, i dug it
Posted by bshelly, Thu Jan-29-15 08:46 PM
but, like, why can't we see some of this stuff instead of another issue of talking about it rather than showing it
692070, Did the GALACTUS/CELESTIALS stuff...
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Jan-30-15 09:35 AM
...go down in HICKGOD's FF/F4 run?
692083, nope! It's a mystery! Stick around and see if it gets resolved!
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jan-30-15 01:28 PM
692084, surprise, I loved dying and the dead 1
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jan-30-15 01:31 PM
As first apostle of the church of HICKGOD, this won't surprise you. But as much as I like the story, the art and the colors steal the show. I believe it's the same time hickman worked with on Secret, but it's turned up to 11 here. Book is done completely in white, grey, and red, and the feel is soooooooo creepy. The underground kingdom guys will give you night terrors.
692265, I really like how Hickman imposes a fairly consistent visual design
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Feb-05-15 11:05 AM
on his independent work, regardless of who the artist is.

Having started with him from the Nightly News #1, it's been a really interesting trip.
692094, loved Casanova #1; Mind MGMT still got it at #30; RIP Unwritten
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri Jan-30-15 03:04 PM
692133, ...i was JUST thinking about Unwritten the other day
Posted by Calico, Mon Feb-02-15 11:11 AM
...i lost track a LONG time ago....i liked it, but it was getting a lil over the top and other things were going on in the comic world....

...thought it was over years ago....
692261, It should have wrapped with War of Words
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Feb-05-15 10:59 AM
what came after was fine, but up to that point it was consistently excellent... dragging it out another 20 issues or so just left it feeling a little limp, even though it was still better than average.
692203, Avengers #41 aka forget #40
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Feb-04-15 02:20 PM
This shit is getting crazier

692217, FYI! HICKGOD'S ULTIMATES IS KEY!
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-04-15 08:02 PM
WAS FIYAH!
EVIL REED. THANOS. NAMOR.
(bitch)
692273, twas flames....
Posted by Calico, Thu Feb-05-15 12:31 PM
can't wait to see what happens next...
692316, REED vs TEAM EVIL REED vs DOOM vs SPACE vs BEYONDERS?
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-05-15 11:52 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
692216, THOUGHTS...
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-04-15 07:58 PM
STAR WARS #2
Fire x 100,000,000 ASTRAL PLANE FIYAHS!
So good. AARON, is channeling the force. Art is pretty. Cast is badass. I am a fan and convert. This title is phenomenal. VADER, is the new black!!!!

NAMELESS #1
THE GOD. Good and all but...THE GOD!
I worship another now.

AVENGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HICKGOD. EVIL REED. NAMOR AND DA HOMIEZ!
SPACE IS MAD AT EARTH!
Not mad.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
692227, I'm, SO SCARED, of EVIL REEEEEEEEEEEEDDD
Posted by bshelly, Wed Feb-04-15 09:57 PM
692312, DOG, you should be.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-05-15 11:39 PM
He killed half the world in HICKGOD's Ultimates. It was hardcore. Him and WEIRDO CHIN, are about to fuck shit up.
692336, I read that run about a month ago
Posted by bshelly, Fri Feb-06-15 08:54 AM
This children are coming Back on a fucking horse in SW. super evolved God killers nooooooooooo
692340, ALSO PREDICTION...
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Feb-06-15 10:14 AM
NAMOR IS COMING BACK ON A FUCKING MULTIVERSAL SEAHORSE (THAT SPITS FIRE THAT BURNS IN WATER) AND HE IS GOING TO TAKE A LIFE OR THREE!
692372, ...I want that so badly
Posted by bshelly, Fri Feb-06-15 04:33 PM
693259, Man, if they fucked up Evil Reed storyline in the Ultimates
Posted by Castro, Sun Feb-22-15 11:14 PM
he was a badass and then the went with him being outsmarted by Tony Starks fucking tumor? I stopped fucking with them just cuz of that.

Evil Reed was great.
693476, DO NOT WORRY. EVIL REED and NAMOR, are coming back...
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-25-15 05:04 PM
...TO TAKE BODIES!
693604, feel like, HICK DAWG, wanted Evil Reed to WIN
Posted by bshelly, Fri Feb-27-15 12:27 PM
but Marvel pulled him off the book.

But get involved with this. Evil Reed coming back on a fuckin Hellicarrier.
693620, EVIL REED with THANOS. And, BODY SNATCHER NAMOR!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Feb-27-15 08:07 PM
NAMOR, should take lives during Secret Wars.
692228, Seriosuly, read Annhilator
Posted by bshelly, Wed Feb-04-15 09:57 PM
It's gorgeous and God be trippin
692313, PSA: YOU ARE DUMB IF YOU ARE NOT ON STAR WARS!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-05-15 11:41 PM
DON'T BE DUMB. GET ON STAR WARS.
EASILY THE ILLEST SERIES TO DEBUT IN YEARS.
THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT.
692392, TRILL AS ALL FUCK!
Posted by KneelB4Me, Fri Feb-06-15 08:47 PM
"I halfway hope people put "btw, rappers lie and shit" on CD covers, like a parental advisory sticker." - OKP Villain

www.twitter.com/lexlamont
692430, I read both issues today. You're not lying
Posted by mrshow, Sun Feb-08-15 02:24 AM
I can't believe the same guy who wrote Scalped was able to get the tone of the original trilogy down so perfectly.
692315, BLACK VORTEX debut and NAMELESS second thoughts.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-05-15 11:50 PM
NAMELESS has been reread. WHOA! Much more enjoyable on the second spin. So down. Should be cray!

BLACK VORTEX was super fun. Stoked for this event.
692391, MIND MGMT is too good.
Posted by Castro, Fri Feb-06-15 08:45 PM
I had fallen off for a minute with it but I just got caught up this week. You can feel it coming to a close, but the way he is filling in bits and pieces, I can't wait to go back to the first issue and read all the way through. The ARTWORK!!!! The last cover is ridiculous....
692393, Anyone reading the new Miles Morales series
Posted by Castro, Fri Feb-06-15 08:47 PM
They had ended the first series in a shitty way and transitioned him to be part of the new ultimates team, which I absolutely hated...I didn't know that they rebooted his series and I just picked it up (haven't read yet). Anyone reading it?
692558, it's REALLY good
Posted by Calico, Tue Feb-10-15 11:39 AM
....lots of fun
692684, Caught up on it this weekend. I am excited! Goblin. Gatdammy!
Posted by Castro, Thu Feb-12-15 04:59 AM
692480, if you've ever wanted to see Frazer Irving draw Garfield....
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Feb-09-15 11:50 AM
this Garfield: His 9 Lives project sounds interesting. I was clueless about the TV special, of course, but hey, Frazer Irving drawing Garfield (for one of the 9 issues, anyway) is going to be worth looking into, and hell, the actual book sounds like something my kids might really enjoy.

http://bigcomicpage.com/2014/12/05/boom-studios-to-recreate-garfield-his-9-lives-in-january/
692550, DARTH VADER is coming this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Feb-10-15 10:49 AM
DARTH MUTHAFUCKING VADER, son.
692648, YOU CANNOT BOX WITH THE GOD AKA VADER.
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-11-15 05:00 PM
AND THAT GNARLY WOOKIE AND THAT LIGHT WORK.
SON, DARTH VADER.
692693, This week has some heavy hitters... SW and TWD.
Posted by phenompyrus, Thu Feb-12-15 10:07 AM
These Marvel Star Wars books have been very good, surprisingly so. The new Darth Vader one had some cool character moments (Vader just killing sand people because of his hatred for them) and new characters (a Wookie bounty hunter? How did it take this long to have one of them).

And the time jump Walking Dead has moved very slowly, but when you have a girl who has no qualms wearing the faces of zombies licking Carl Grimes eye socket scars, things get a little more interesting. I still want to see what the hell happened to Michonne though, c'mon people.
692696, VADER.THE EMPIRE'S BLUDGEON.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-12-15 10:27 AM
That line had me shook.
692790, he was literally sonnin duke
Posted by Calico, Fri Feb-13-15 09:44 AM
....it was great to see.... especially after watching him son everyone else before that...

693010, OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!
Posted by JRennolds, Tue Feb-17-15 10:53 PM
Secret Wars.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
693058, what happened?
Posted by bshelly, Wed Feb-18-15 08:54 PM
693086, The BUILD-UP and HYPE MACHINE!!!!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 01:05 PM
Gonna be a RADICAL SABBATICAL.
693037, Any thoughts on why Silver Surfer is rated T+?
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Feb-18-15 02:29 PM
I'm thinking my 10 y.o. would really like it.

I'll have to dig up all the old issues and put them together, but there doesn't seem to me to be anything 'mature readers' about it, really.

*shrug*
693094, I've been reading it to my 7 year old
Posted by chrisP, Thu Feb-19-15 02:21 PM
Just the 1st trade so far, but he really loves it (so do I). I read through it first and didn't see anything in there that was too inappropriate for him. We also read Ms. Marvel together but there are some things I self-censor as we go along (I particularly remember Kamala's mom warning her about date rape in one issue and kinda didn't want to get into that with him at this point). He reads his own comics but those are two he likes for me to read aloud because I do voices and he REALLY likes to just look at the art (he could do way worse than Alphona & Allred in that department).

I think the only reason SS is marked T+ is for marketing. They know the adult comics audience is less likely to pick up a book labelled All Ages because that equals Kids to them. Even if the content is the same, the 30 somethings in the shop don't want to be seen as buying kids comics for themselves. All ages really should mean ALL ages and I think SS definitely represents that and could be rated that way.

Coming back to comics these last few years and seeing how the access for my son is vs. the way it was for me is a little frustrating. I'm all for comics being a medium that is not aimed just at kids but 2 big things irk me.

1) There are no monthly books (that I'm aware of) from Marvel/DC that are in continuity that kids know are okay for them and can just grab and feel like they're invested in those larger universes. When I was nine and reading New Mutants I didn't feel like I was reading a kids book (at least not till Brett Blevins started drawing and I stopped reading) but I also didn't feel like I was reading anything that I was gonna get in trouble for from my heavily Catholic parents. I was being introduced to topics that were a little more lower case "a" adult - relationship stuff, etc - but I wasn't going to see somebody's face getting cut off their head. Their isn't any in-continuity Batman for a 9 year old to read and he is by far the most popular character among 9 year olds. Silver Surfer and, to some degree, Ms. Marvel (and probably Squirrel Girl and a few others I haven't read yet) could be marketed to a wider range audience but as soon as there's a whiff of "okay for kids" the older fans won't buy it.

2) As a kid, I got all my comics at the gas station up the road while my parent's were pumping gas. I have a hard time imagining any kids finding comics unless their parents are regular readers (like the folks here) that go to their local shop. Now that the Direct market is largely the only way to get comics how are kids supposed to find them? When I was 11 I started riding my bike the 3 miles to the gas station and would spend an hour on the floor going through all the comics on the rack (could generally only get 1 or 2 a month). That's how I became aware of other stories and got interested in trying out other books (Alpha Flight! West Coast Avengers!) Even if I do bring my kid to the shop I have to hurry him past the "regular" comics to the kids section because so much of it is either girls with giant boobs or lots and lots of blood. How's a kid supposed to find Silver Surfer amidst that?
693821, I may well give it a shot. Gotta dig up the back issues though
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Mar-03-15 09:51 AM
and may well be missing one or two of them.

> he
>REALLY likes to just look at the art

I remember a few years ago, reading one of the Muppet Show books, and my kids pointed out before I'd even noticed that there was a fill-in artist that week. Made me so proud.

It's funny, I've always been much less of an art guy as far as the comics go, but I've gotten way more confident in my assessments of artwork. There's still only a handful of artists that I recognize on a regular basis, but it's a big difference over where I was a decade ago.

>I think the only reason SS is marked T+ is for marketing...
>All ages really should mean ALL ages and I think SS definitely
>represents that and could be rated that way.

Preaching to the choir. Most of the all ages stuff I read with the kids really IS all ages, meaning I enjoy it on a fairly visceral level too. It's not something most creative & editing teams seem to get though.

>1) There are no monthly books (that I'm aware of) from
>Marvel/DC that are in continuity that kids know are okay for
>them and can just grab and feel like they're invested in those
>larger universes.

Hmmm. See I don't give a hoot about continuity... a good title can be a great introduction to the greater universe without having any continuity with it.
I think DC has done far far better at this than Marvel... Tiny Titans and Superman Family Adventures had a cast of hundreds. The Batman: The Brave & the Bold TV show, and to a lesser extent the Sholly Fisch comic, were painted with an incredibly broad brush. In fact my kids just watched the final episode of BTBATB (still on the DVR, I won't let my wife delete it) and it's as amazing as ever.
They've had some misses too - Li'l Gotham, much of the Billy Batson series, the Green Lanternn and Batman CGI shows (which weren't terrible but weren't good and weren't particularly u12-friendly).

Meanwhile, Marvel has had just about all misses, by my count. (not counting Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl, which I'm viewing as YA books at this point.) The Li'l Marvels issuue I read was SO bad. The little Hulks or whatever it was called had one decent joke. And the cartoons... my kids didn't even get into Ultimate Spider-man, Agents of SmASH, or that one where the Silver Surfer talked like a surfer dude. They really don't compare to Teen Titans, Teen Titans GO! (which I love), BTBATB, or (for older kids and me) Young Justice or JLU.

>2)I have a hard time
>imagining any kids finding comics unless their parents are
>regular readers (like the folks here) that go to their local
>shop. Now that the Direct market is largely the only way to
>get comics how are kids supposed to find them?

LIBRARIES, dude!

I blame the library in large part for developing my habit since I started out reading stuff fro the library, never thinking I'd turn into someone who'd go to a shop regularly.
Our library has 5 comics sections (kids', YA, manga (by the YA section, but not filed with the other YA comics), New Adult Comics endcap, adult comics) , so i realize we're lucky and uncharacteristic. Two of my alternate libraries has ALL comics in the YA section, which is a terrible mistake I've mentioned to the librarian but she just shrugged and said 'we know.'

Even my kids' school library has plenty of comics, including Bone, Amulet, Calvin & Hobbes, Peanuts, Zita, Big Nate, etc. And the school book fair's selection is never awesome, but there are usually at least a few series on display/sale.

693059, multiversity and miss marvel hittin
Posted by bshelly, Wed Feb-18-15 08:56 PM
Multiversity: even superman can't save the nazis from themselves! But what are those wacky Sivanna brothers up to?

Miss Marvel: U God! Loki on the dancefloor
693113, Also...
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 07:35 PM
MAGNETO
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Kill them all, MR. ANGRY PANTS!
Month in, month out? Fire series.

THOR
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE too! So good.
Who you be, lady? FEAR GOD, will try to find out. He is going to be wearing SPIKEY DESTROYER ARMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
693064, Pretty sure they slapped the wrong cover on Uncanny X-Men this week
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Feb-19-15 01:18 AM
Really, the only accurate cover could be Eva raping the timeline like a prison bitch.
693072, yep...the cover irked me too
Posted by Calico, Thu Feb-19-15 09:09 AM
..but the contents were a serious mind screw...

...so does this mean Prof X "new" sons ( i can't remember if they were both from Mystique, but they were both from the future) never existed??

i liked Eva running around playing in the timeline...and the notion that the Prof has probably been involved in more hijinks that he made himself forget...
693085, Yeah BUT this issue was fucking amazing.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 01:03 PM
This whole arc has been a trip.
The CYCLOPS holgram was radical! And scary.
Cool arc.
693095, I wanted to punch his face for crossing his arms in an X
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Feb-19-15 02:56 PM
But that hologram was trill business. Like, "Hey, uhhh....shit is super fucked right now..."
693096, I kind of feel bad for, SCOTT!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 03:20 PM
Stakes is high, nobody likes him, he fucked up, and his people are mad.
693105, LOL *spoilers*
Posted by Calico, Thu Feb-19-15 04:08 PM
that fool said something like "i know everyone in here hates me, but i really do love you all" and WALKED OFF.... i kinda felt bad for him too...even when Xavier was asking ole girl about what he could do for Scott, she was like, "he's a grown man"...LOL.... then after giving his new recruits away, and literally realizing he walks alone, shorty shows up and basically tells him to watch his steps, cause if he messes up again she will erase him from history...and he KNOWS she can do it...

...really great read
693110, SCOTT, has two choices.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 07:22 PM
1.BE MAD AT THE WORLD AND EVERYONE IN IT!
(Villain route)

2.Go cry in the corner!
(Bitch-made route)

I have faith that, BENDIS has a grand design and, SCOTT will not go quietly.
693143, or THREE
Posted by Calico, Fri Feb-20-15 11:38 AM
he'll disappear for awhile, then pop up during the next X-event to save them all
693153, RE: or THREE
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Feb-20-15 03:12 PM
I'd love if there could be some atonement moment for him to shake the pariah funk. He's given all of his chirren away, so I'm interested to see how/if he's allowed to come home.
693077, All New Cap is a rough read
Posted by Calico, Thu Feb-19-15 10:34 AM
but it mirrors Dimension Z in alot of cool ways...
693084, It is very depressing and I am on the verge of dropping it.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 01:01 PM
Aaaaaaaaaand it moves way too fast. I hate how the ramifications of, Ian's death have yet to be dealt with.
I will see this arc through and go from there.
693106, i don't believe the last part
Posted by Calico, Thu Feb-19-15 04:10 PM
...i refuse to believe ian is really dead...ESPECIALLY like that...we thought he was dead b4...dude might have a healing factor
693109, Oh, you know he is not dead BUT...
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 07:20 PM
REMENDER, always plays this card. See his previous CAP run.
This comic is just sad, depressing, and kind of gross.
SO MANY CLICHES!!!!
ALL-NEW CLICHE AMERICA.
Yawn!
693089, SCALPED VOLUME 1 dropped this week!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 01:14 PM
SCALPED in HUGE VOLUMES? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
693092, Invincible.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 01:57 PM
This issue was quiet but damn satisfying. I think some MAJOR shit is on the horizon.
The BATTLE BEAST/THRAGG fight is ill and I think the payoff will be cray.
Earth folk not too pleased with ROBOT TAKEOVER.
VILTRUMITE MUSTACHE GANG and ROBOT GANG alliance? Likely will not last.
And the commentary on the BIG 2 is great.
Such a great title.
693107, yeah, a really fun read
Posted by Calico, Thu Feb-19-15 04:14 PM
the fact that they kept it so quiet and then you get two pages of this BIG fight in the middle, was awesome...

...i liked everyone's reaction to them leaving and Mark STILL hasn't dealt with "the event", and we all know that's gonna cause i problem with his lady
693111, DOG, the EARTH will burn.
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 07:25 PM
KIRKMAN, tortures this cast and he is not afraid to fuck shit up.
Be patient....IT WILL BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
693112, I.E. There is a PLANET of OLIVERS!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-19-15 07:27 PM
THRAGG BABIES in SPACE!
Again, MAJOR SHIT is about to pop off!!!!!
693144, Kirkman always delivers
Posted by Calico, Fri Feb-20-15 11:40 AM
...and his pacing is excellent
693250, GOD POWER. I caved, spent 8$ and copped MULTIVERSITY (maps).
Posted by JRennolds, Sun Feb-22-15 04:35 PM
GOD's sons,
That was a comprehensive manifestation of ILL!
Peace to, THE GOD.
DC is your HEAVENLY pasture.
Raise ideological HELL.
Fellow disciple,
JRENNOLDS
693269, YO. I like J. Bone plenty, but he's jacking buckshot_defunct here
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Feb-23-15 10:37 AM
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-thrilling-adventure-hour-presents-sparks-nevada-marshal-on-mars-1

The font was the first major thing, but there's something about the actual cover art as well...

The inside artwork is much more standard J. Bone fare.

(Read this one with the kids last night, they like it pretty well)
693474, I listen to the podcast with my kid sometimes
Posted by chrisP, Wed Feb-25-15 04:58 PM
We both like it a lot, will have to check the comic out.
693322, DAMN IT! WTF IS THIS NOW?! UGH.
Posted by JRennolds, Mon Feb-23-15 08:00 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=59542
THORS = MARVEL'S GREEN LANTERN CORPS
693364, yeah, this sounds kinda weak, but i'll check out the first issue
Posted by Calico, Tue Feb-24-15 11:21 AM
...i just wanna see how the different Thors interact with each other...
693394, FALL BACK, this, shall be pure MAGMA
Posted by bshelly, Tue Feb-24-15 08:17 PM
Potential battle thoral! With Aaron writing it! MAYBE THE GOD BUTCHER, SHOWS UP!

If you don't like this idea you don't like comics
693475, GOD BUTCHER. I am just mad that THOR (the lady)...
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-25-15 05:03 PM
...is going on hiatus! No EVIL ELF KING either! BOOOOOOOOOO HISS.
I don't need THORS IN SPACE. I need LADY THOR running game against FEAR LORD!
693430, New Avengers: so you're saying there's a chance
Posted by bshelly, Wed Feb-25-15 10:50 AM
693504, what if...SPOILERS
Posted by bshelly, Thu Feb-26-15 10:37 AM
the Beyonders are killed by, EVIL REED?
693509, EVIL REED, will then become the baddest mofo out!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-26-15 11:40 AM
Why do all the SPACE GODS have an amazing fashion sense?
On the real, EVIL REED vs SECRET REED vs RABUM ALAL is a very real possibility!
693510, FURTHERMORE, WHAT IF RABUM ALAL is........
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-26-15 11:46 AM
..........EVIL REED and his CABAL?????????!!!!!!
693542, I think RA the RUGGED MAN is still The Beyonder!
Posted by bshelly, Thu Feb-26-15 04:13 PM
And he about to stop all that NONESENSE, with those pretenders to the throne.
693562, BRUH, THE JERRY CURL is the REAL #BEYONDER!
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Feb-26-15 07:14 PM
Hahahaha.
693477, (EM)OVERMAN, I feel you. NAZIISM is fucked up and all...
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-25-15 05:06 PM
...but on the lighter side of things, DEM SIVS are moving against the MULTIVERSE!
It will all be okay. Promise :)!
693478, THE EMPIRE'S BLUDGEON.
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-25-15 05:08 PM
Yo! EVEN, DOOM and BATMAN would be shook if they crossed the path of...LORD VADER!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
MARVEL STAR WARS IS THE BEE'S KNEES!
693479, JOKER, you be one scary and mean maybe immortal!
Posted by JRennolds, Wed Feb-25-15 05:11 PM
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALFIE, where is your hand?
DAMN, SNYPER!
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAM!
693512, so i been bout the indies for a while now
Posted by kayru99, Thu Feb-26-15 12:20 PM
but I want to jump on hickman's marvel shit.

Seems like he's telling one biiiiig story.

What do I need to read?

Currently I'm reading his FF run, and it's good, if kinda all over the place.

693609, HICKGOD MARVEL.
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Feb-27-15 01:16 PM
READ HIS FF, F4, NEW AVENGERS and AVENGERS runs.
You should be good.
693615, F4 the best, but secret warriors is AMAZING
Posted by bshelly, Fri Feb-27-15 05:25 PM
Honestly, spring for the marvel app. Totally worth it
693617, SECRET WARRIORS is the CAT'S PAJAMAS!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Feb-27-15 07:43 PM
I do not see how it ties in to the HICKGOD MASTERPLAN though.
693618, And F4 #600 is a MODERN MASTERPIECE!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Feb-27-15 07:45 PM
Ish changed the game for me.
693819, I'm still readin' stuff
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Mar-03-15 09:24 AM
Michael Cho "Shoplifter" - slice of life drama about a young woman in the big city unsure of where life is taking her. It's not really any clearer at the end of the book. It's got that annoying black-white-annd-pink palette, but the artwork as a whole is great, sort of Darwyn Cookeish but a hint less cartoony. I wasn't exactly surprised when I saw that the first acknowledgment was a thanks to Chip Kidd. B/B-, worth a borrow from the library

Jane Yolen & co. 'Curses! Foiled Again!' - fun sequel to the book about a young fencer in NYC who becomes Defender of Faerie. More YA than a kids' book, but I might sign it out for my 10 y.o. (!) this summer when he goes to fencing day camp for a few weeks. (It's a strange life in the modern suburbs.)

American Gods - yeah, not a comic but coulda been. Actually I can't figure out why no one made a movie of this while Stan Lee was still young enough to play Wednesday.

Big Hero 6 - actually, didn't read anything; I got #1 of the reboot a few years back and it was terrible, so I was surprised at the movie. It wasn't great, for sure, but it was much better than I expected. (Kids loved it, too.)