Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThat's what I get for believing opinion pieces.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=686125&mesg_id=691760
691760, That's what I get for believing opinion pieces.
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Jan-23-15 12:49 PM
Is the enemy sniper Mustafa based on a real person?

Yes, but he holds far less significance in the book, at least in relation to Chris Kyle. In the movie, Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper) engages in a film-long pursuit of an enemy Syrian sniper named Mustafa (Sammy Sheik), whom the American soldiers refer to as "Kaiser F—in' Söze." In Kyle's autobiography, the enemy Iraqi sniper Mustafa is only mentioned in passing in a single paragraph. He is described as "an Olympics marksman who was using his skills against Americans and Iraqi police and soldiers."

Did Chris really kill the enemy sniper Mustafa?

No. In reality, Chris Kyle never actually encountered the enemy Iraqi sniper Mustafa, who he believes was killed by other U.S. snipers. Chris does make a 2,100-yard shot in the book, but it was to take out a random combatant on a rooftop who was about to fire an RPG at an Army convoy. "It was my longest confirmed kill in Iraq," writes Chris, "even longer than that shot in Fallujah."

However, my main point stands. They made Mustafa a major motivation for Chris Kyle when in reality, the two never actually met.