Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWish I Was Here (Braff, 2014)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=682495
682495, Wish I Was Here (Braff, 2014)
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jul-29-14 03:35 AM
Nobody?

It's kind of a mess. God Patinkin rules, and Josh Gad and Kate Hudson both tone it down to nice effect-- the best scene is a tender one between Hudson and Patinkin.

However, Braff's acting is in full-blown sitcom/theater mode, proclaiming his lines loudly and making his faces as broad as possible. The trailer's first line gives you a good example of what you'll be dealing with.

Also, Josh Gad gets to fuck Ashley Greene, which is beyond infuriating and insane.

If some of the story lines had been cut (the spaceman shit, which is pointless) or trimmed/re-tuned (the Hudson harassment bit), and if some of the "quirky comedy" had been trimmed (an old rabbi on a Segway, WOOF), this could have been decent. Again, Patinkin is terrific in it, and the actors around Braff mostly do strong work.

But yeah, Braff sinks it. Could've been better with a different leading man.
682592, I love Josh Gad, so why can't the chubby brahs get some love?
Posted by Dae021, Tue Jul-22-14 08:37 AM
We like fly chicks too!

- From what i've read this is the move Braff wanted to make, it just might not have been as good as he thought it was going to be.
682664, to be honest...
Posted by SankofaII, Wed Jul-23-14 11:54 AM
are we even calling Braff a decent actor?

he was fine on Scrubs but his movie roles leave virtually nothing to be desired imo

i wanted to watch this film but it screams hot mess...i'll eventually catch it on DVD..someday. LOL
683038, I saw it with a Q&A with Braff after. Thought it was about 3-3.5 of 5
Posted by KosherSam, Wed Jul-30-14 04:11 PM
Braff was a little dickish during the Q&A, but he could've been worse, considering some of the people. I'm just ticked they ran out of soundtrack CDs by the time I got to ask my question.