Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI can never stand the undefeatable villain
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=681425&mesg_id=684274
684274, I can never stand the undefeatable villain
Posted by slp_igneous1, Sat Aug-23-14 12:31 PM
>...how damn unbeatable these motherfuckers were?
>I'm hoping this will be the explanation for Korra's
>practically comatose state and tear.

In Korra's defense, she's been traumatized and manipulated in every book. Mostly, that's because she's bull-headed and naive, but she has been sheltered. Korra is sort of a rube, and was never ready for all of the sophisticated political plots leveled against her. As a prodigy, she was never able to separate her identity from being the avatar (unlike Aang). She embraced the power, but not so much the responsibility. Any threat to losing that power, and she panics and tries to punch her way out.

>
>Tenzin's an air MASTER. Why was Zaheer able to hold any ground
>against him?

I thought Tenzin handled him well, until Ghazan and Ming Hua helped gang up on him. But I also think Tenzin underestimated Zaheer. I didn't like how Zaheer just immediately became a superior bender after getting his powers. It's one thing to study the art, but to be able to implement it like that? But I do understand they have to condense.

>It took all those people to take out 4?

The Baddies were much more efficient/skilled in fighting as a unit. Team Avatar has gotten better at it, but they don't train or practice. I imagine the red lotus society has. Those four are also exceptional benders with rare powers against mostly average benders.

>The end was supposed to be celebratory, but all I saw was a
>bunch of weak people...unless that's some kind of hidden
>sociological message to us working class suckers.
Yikes, LOL. Maybe it's a nod to PTSD? Korra is once again left to despair in losing her identity. It sucks ass being a teenager.

>
>I have a feeling next season will be Korra on her own for a
>while on some kind of discovery before seeking out the Red
>Lotus.
>How can she be the Avatar if she can be so easily defeated?
>Even the Avatar state was barely enough!
>I think she's going to seek strength, then revenge and wiser
>heads are going to have to talk her down.
>
>I found my body tightening while watching these episodes.
>Excellent season.

Yes to most of this. I think Korra is easily defeated because she's out of her league for these new enemies. Power isn't the only thing she should be relying on and Korra has repeatedly been outsmarted. Once again, she has to be stripped of those powers in order to learn her very special lesson. This season was by far the best, imo.