Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectbest comic DC put out since ... well, whatever the last Morrison one was
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=680592&mesg_id=684198
684198, best comic DC put out since ... well, whatever the last Morrison one was
Posted by celery77, Thu Aug-21-14 08:48 AM
***LIGHT SPOILERS BELOW***

extremely loose reading last night while a potentially lethal spider bite drove my arm insane with its itchiness inspired by all the page-turning:

I got the sense this is rather a whole critique of the nature of event comics themselves? "The Gentry" are the evil forces which just want to create endless Crises, and Morrison's heroes here are the endless multiverse of comic ideas which stretch the imagination, in spite of "The Gentry" or editorial forces that want to shape it all into the most streamlined as possible commercial pulp?

The idea first took hold on the page right after the early EARTH-7 splash, in the panel where we see "THUNDERER didn't send the S.O.S". I noticed what seemed to be a dead Captain America (which I thought was a Civil War event?) and was wondering which Multiverse DC hero that should be (Flash? but no, Flash never has a shield, the shield makes it very specific) and this was before I got to the open MAJOR COMICS parodies toward the end. It felt like Morrison's thesis was "all I want to do is screw around and create new worlds, but THE GENTRY want to lock me into this deadening commercial (i.e. event) routine" Also why we get the "DON'T READ THIS!" messages as a sly commentary that this is the wrong way to do comics.

But of course it's Morrison, so we'll see where it goes from here, but that was my takeaway from the first pass.