Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectStay hydrated and remember to bring change
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=680592&mesg_id=684176
684176, Stay hydrated and remember to bring change
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Aug-20-14 05:28 PM
I've done a few shows. Far from an expert, but here's my 2¢

I think going in with a clear objective is good. You'll see artists there for promotion, some for book sales, others for commissions. Know what you're there for (it sounds like you do). What kind of section are you in? Which show is it?

You got freebies, so that's good.

You're promoting a webcomic so definitely make sure whatever you're handing out has your url and contact info on it. Do you do mailing lists? Could increase your retention rate.

Pack water, hand sanitizer, snacks.

Try and make your table as clean and interesting looking as possible. Think vertical, too. Little stands to prop your work up so it's visible. Stack stuff if you can. Banners make a difference but that can be a bit much for someone just starting to exhibit. They do help, though.

Be friendly, make eye contact... I find it's good to be at a standing position, it makes it easier for people to approach and converse. I like people and don't really do con commissions so I've got no excuse to be sitting with my head down.

Be able to pitch. You gotta have a brief, snappy description for your work. Practice out loud because that shit might sound john blaze in your head and come out sounding like gibberish.

Be available at your table but also try and walk around and mingle as much as you can. Have a friend watch the table while you're gone or put up a sign so people know when to expect you back.

Check the exhibitor list beforehand in case there's someone you really want to connect with. Map out a course to their tables and all that

Speaking of signs, having your prices listed is a good look. People don't really wanna ask that.

You up on Square? They'll send you a free reader for credit card transactions. They take a small cut, of course.

Oh – Here's the latest trick I learned. When someone hands you a business card, write down on the back of it some clue about them/your conversation because you may forget it afterwards, and find yourself wondering who the hell's business card that is.

Uh your work is super dope so I feel weird saying this but it applies to everyone, don't take it personal when people pass on your stuff or outright ignore it. That's just how it is. Hopefully it's a good show with an attendance that will connect with your work!

Hey good luck and keep us posted.