Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectX-9: Secret Agent Phil Corrigan (1967-1969)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=680592&mesg_id=683308
683308, X-9: Secret Agent Phil Corrigan (1967-1969)
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Aug-04-14 08:50 AM
I never really liked the adventure & drama newspaper strips - I was all about the funnies. But I'm having a lot of fun reading this - it's a collection (from the library, of course) of dailies from this long-running strip apparently created by Dashiell Hammet and which apparently ran through 1996. I don't think I'd ever heard of it before.

It's more or less straight pulp, of course, but with a late-60s fashion sense - bikinis, mini-skirts, mustaches. Great villain names (Travis Clegg being a personal favorite), ethnic stereotypes (Chang Wu is a villain; also Baron Zoltoff), swashbuckling adventure and a lot of big right hooks. Great artwork, too.

One funny thing I picked up - there's frequently a foreground object, especially in first panels, unrelated to the story. One strip that object is a newspaper with the headline STERANKO FREED! over a picture of a guy wearing shades. Really cracked me up and I have no idea whether it was just a joke or a reference to an actual event.