Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTrillium & Saga
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=680592&mesg_id=680651
680651, Trillium & Saga
Posted by chrisP, Thu Jun-12-14 11:33 PM
Went back through Trillium for the 1st time since it ended. Verdict: started strong, lost me a bit for the middle third, then really fired it up through the end. It's a far cry from Sweet Tooth good but I definitely dug it, particularly art-wise in the watercolor sections. I would normally be cool with the computer colored sections but put side by side with the watercolor it really looks lackluster. There's something about Lemire's art style that really does it for me, I kind of love how ugly his characters look - weird.

Starting to deep dive back through Saga and the word ugly does not show up anywhere in this book - it's so pretty. I liked it on first read and now I'm loving it going back through. Staples' art is obviously well thought of but I don't think many people talk about her amazing color sense - palettes are sooo good. Something about the story feels akin to Bone, where the way characters talk and act comes from our world and is dropped into this fantasy land. Makes it totally unrealistic, but in a way where the story becomes that much more fun because of it. I'm convinced that's the main reason Bone's never been made into a movie - audiences would be confused but it wouldn't be the same thing without it.

Oh yeah, also reading Kamandi, Vol. 2 during lunch on the back porch. Batshit Kirby crazy - love it.

Been skipping the IPA's in favor of Lagunitas Copper Ale lately - I'm a fan of winter beers, so it's the closest I can get to something smooth and tasty in summer. I love a good brown ale any time of year but they tend to only exist in the spring.