Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCan we reflect on MILESTONE for a minute?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=680592&mesg_id=680620
680620, Can we reflect on MILESTONE for a minute?
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Jun-12-14 03:44 PM
I picked up Icon: The Mothership Connection at my LCS's sidewalk sale because it was cheap and had a P-Funk reference right there in the title. It was thick as hell so I'd just assumed it was the entire run... Turns out this was volume 2. But no big deal, if anything I was just impressed/surprised the title was around that long. Because as with many things back in those speculator 90s days, I copped the first couple issues and then went right back to being an X-Men/Spider-Man zombie. Uh, yeah... I missed out on some great comics. I KNOW.

But yo. This book is incredible. Reminded me of Morrison's Animal Man run in a lot of ways: Meta commentary, socially conscious, with a strong family element to it. Superhero antics were somewhat secondary in terms of what I connected with, but still felt 100% satisfying. The journey of the Luke Cage analog character was hilarious, surprising, and poignant. Damn it, Dwayne McDuffie was good.

While I'm tracking down the first trade, talk to me about your favorite Milestone titles, creators, moments, etc.